Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Brussels, Belgium, CLOSED Jun '14, to reopen as Hilton [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Le Meridien Brussels, Belgium, CLOSED Jun '14, to reopen as Hilton [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2013, 11:43 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, VS Red, BA Blue
Is the wifi free for Platinum's? I see on the website you get 30 minutes use free, and wired access but I'm traveling with an ipad. Thank you.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by tagv12
Is the wifi free for Platinum's? I see on the website you get 30 minutes use free, and wired access but I'm traveling with an ipad. Thank you.
Yes, free all throughout your stay for Plat's and for multiple devices.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 12:52 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, VS Red, BA Blue
Originally Posted by stimpy
Yes, free all throughout your stay for Plat's and for multiple devices.
Thank you! ^
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:28 am

Disappointing stay

I had a quite disappointing stay recently.

At check-in, the desk clerk told me that I would be upgraded to a newly renovated junior suite, and I would be the first person to stay in the room after the renovation. The lobby area is very nicely renovated in a modern style, so I was expecting the same for the room.

This was however quite a disaster. Furniture was evidently not new, but reclaimed from different hotel rooms. 3 different types of wood in 3 different styles (e.g., desk not matching nightstands not matching coffee table), with lots of scuffs. Also, apparrently they did not want to change the location of the light fixtures when renovating the room, and the bed that had been located in the room previously had been wider than the new bed. So the bedside lamps were at a distance to the bed. They did not even bother to properly center the bed. Pictures and mirrors were hung at an angle. The wallpaper was not properly applied and came off in the corner of the foyer. The bathroom seemed to be recent, but not new. Also, odd room layout with the window pushed into a corner of the room with a view of nothing.

This was just a quick one night stay, and if the desk clerk had not proudly announced that I would be the first person to stay in the newly renovated room, I might not even have noticed the flaws. But when you see how many corners they cut in their room renovations it makes you wonder about the hotel's management and its financials.

In any case, it looks nothing like the renovated rooms on the website, and I don't think I will return despite the convenient location next to the station. Rather spend a bit more and stay at Hotel Amigo again.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by kamel123
I had a quite disappointing stay recently.

At check-in, the desk clerk told me that I would be upgraded to a newly renovated junior suite, and I would be the first person to stay in the room after the renovation. The lobby area is very nicely renovated in a modern style, so I was expecting the same for the room.

This was however quite a disaster. Furniture was evidently not new, but reclaimed from different hotel rooms. 3 different types of wood in 3 different styles (e.g., desk not matching nightstands not matching coffee table), with lots of scuffs. Also, apparrently they did not want to change the location of the light fixtures when renovating the room, and the bed that had been located in the room previously had been wider than the new bed. So the bedside lamps were at a distance to the bed. They did not even bother to properly center the bed. Pictures and mirrors were hung at an angle. The wallpaper was not properly applied and came off in the corner of the foyer. The bathroom seemed to be recent, but not new. Also, odd room layout with the window pushed into a corner of the room with a view of nothing.

This was just a quick one night stay, and if the desk clerk had not proudly announced that I would be the first person to stay in the newly renovated room, I might not even have noticed the flaws. But when you see how many corners they cut in their room renovations it makes you wonder about the hotel's management and its financials.

In any case, it looks nothing like the renovated rooms on the website, and I don't think I will return despite the convenient location next to the station. Rather spend a bit more and stay at Hotel Amigo again.
A renovation does not mean that a room was completely redone.

You can imagine that it takes months, if not years to redo the bathrooms of such a big hotel.

What you see quite often is a soft renovation that normally includes the carpet, bed (mattress only is an option as well) and some furniture items.

Anyway, it is good to see some changes in Brussels.

After the renovations at the Sheraton Airport, LM Brussels, the big one is up next...and that is a huge project incl. the bathrooms.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by FD1971
A renovation does not mean that a room was completely redone.
Well thanks for pointing out, but I guess I am familiar with the concept of a soft renovation. If this is reasonably well executed, I see no reason it should involve 1) scuffed, clearly mismatched furniture, 2) sloppy finishing such as things hanging at angles and wallpaper coming off, 3) light fixtures in the wrong places that were dictated by the previous room layout.

I guess it is a matter of expectations. If a hotel clerk proudly announces a renovated room to a guest (and the hotel website shows many pictures of nicely renovated rooms), the guest expects such. Faced with a room like the one I got, will then leave the guest underwhelmed and with an impression that the hotel tries to get away with spending the absolute minimum possible.

To each their own, but in this case I feel there are alternative hotel options with a better price-quality ratio in Brussels, even if more expensive.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 5:21 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Agreed, a renovation should be an improvement, not the other way around.

The rate for LM Brussels fluctuates quite a bit, so I guess your contentment depends on how much you paid.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure if I've cracked the code or not, but after my 10th night this year I now get upgraded to a nice, renovated executive suite. ^
Old Dec 2, 2013, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by stimpy
Not sure if I've cracked the code or not, but after my 10th night this year I now get upgraded to a nice, renovated executive suite. ^
I'm not sure what exactly is executive suite vs. junior suite. I've always had a junior suite (with a sitting area) on the 6th floor (usually facing Station Centraal) in 6-7 stays over the past 12 months. My stay 2 weeks ago was a 6th floor junior suite that faced away from the train station. The rooms all looked similar with minor differences.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 1:59 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by CIT85
I'm not sure what exactly is executive suite vs. junior suite. I've always had a junior suite (with a sitting area) on the 6th floor (usually facing Station Centraal) in 6-7 stays over the past 12 months. My stay 2 weeks ago was a 6th floor junior suite that faced away from the train station. The rooms all looked similar with minor differences.
The junior suites (Executive rooms) are on the top floor and some (all?) more senior suites are not on the top floor and therefore have more space due to the roof pitch, which is a concern for some (all?) rooms on the top floor.

AFAIK, all senior suites are also true one bedroom suites
Old Dec 3, 2013, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah I'm a bit confused about this room too. At first it said suite online, then it changed to executive room. And at check in they said executive suite. It's much larger than the junior suites I've had in the past, and sort of L-shaped at the end of the hallway on the 2nd floor. The desk is around the corner in its own area. It's the largest room I've had here in the last 4 years or so.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FYI they just upgraded the Internet access here today. On my iPhone in the room I'm getting over 3.3 Mbps down and 1.3 Mbps up. Well done LM!
Old Jun 4, 2014, 3:11 pm

Programs: SPG LTP
Operating entity LM Brussels bankrupt

Article is in Dutch, sorry for that

In short: dispute between building owner & operating entity, the latter heavily loss-making for years & bankruptcy has been declared today.

Article also mentions that no closure is foreseen for now - sort of equivalent of US Chapter 11 procedure kicks in so all reservations etc should be secure for short/medium term. Long term this procedure does imply that the 'curator' will look out for candidates for a takeover though.

http://www.tijd.be/nieuws/ondernemin...3077.art?ckc=1
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:09 pm

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Huh, that's surprising, I've always thought LM, of all Brussels properties, would be profitable.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 12:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, Asiana Club Dmnd (*G), AA plat, Alitalia FA, SPG Plat, Accor Plat, HGP Dmnd, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by KittyCat
Article is in Dutch, sorry for that

In short: dispute between building owner & operating entity, the latter heavily loss-making for years & bankruptcy has been declared today.

Article also mentions that no closure is foreseen for now - sort of equivalent of US Chapter 11 procedure kicks in so all reservations etc should be secure for short/medium term. Long term this procedure does imply that the 'curator' will look out for candidates for a takeover though.

http://www.tijd.be/nieuws/ondernemin...3077.art?ckc=1
Interesting - thanks for posting. Agree also that it's surprising though I don't ever remember thinking that the hotel was particularly busy. There's also something of an oversupply of hotels in Brussels - especially on the weekends and in summer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.