Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Paris - Vendôme, France [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Paris - Vendôme, France [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2016, 5:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Originally Posted by WhIteSidE
I'll be staying here soon for a couple of weekdays, and I have a fancy to have a view of the Eiffel Tower.

I'm SPG Plat, and as far as I can tell, the hotel is pretty much empty while I'll be there (they're running a hot escape for when I arrive). My question is this: should I email them and explain that if possible, I'd love a room upgrade to a view of the Eiffel Tower? Is that sort of thing done (I've never done it before, but looking at the thread it looks like some people are doing things like that)? And if so, who should I email, the reservations email? Or ...?
Yes you should. Do it all the time in Europe with great results.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 3:41 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, HH D
Originally Posted by dannybhoy
I emailed the hotel and received a prompt reply:

Nous vous remercions pour votre email.

Nos Suites Prestiges n’ont pas de vue de la Tour Eiffel, aucune d’entre elles.

Si vous souhaitez avoir la vue sur la Tour Eiffel il faut effectivement demander la Junior Suite avec la vue.

For the benefit of the non francophones, the email says that none of the Prestige Suites have a view of the Eiffel Tower. The email therefore adds that if one wishes to have a view of the tower, one would have to book the Junior Suite with view.
As it turned out, my SNAs did not clear. However, an appeal in person (I was staying 4 nights at the PHV before moving to the Westin) got me a tiny top (5th) floor Eiffel Tower View Room with an even more minuscule balconette (just about big enough for the coffee table and two chairs that were placed there that had a superb view of Paris from the Louvre to Tour Montparnasse to the Tuileries to Concorde, Grand Palais and the Eiffel Tower.

On the other hand, apart from the disappointment of not having my SNAs clear, it seems to me that this hotel is living on former glories and separately I understand that the current owners have put it on the market. Shower water pressure was worse than pisspoor. To say that moving from a Junior Suite (DSU but with a backstreet view of Rue Volney)) at the PHV to a tiny entry level room (albeit with a superb view of major Paris landmarks along the Seine) at the Westin is like moving from Neuilly to Bobigny is not that much of an exaggeration. I wasn't expecting the Westin to rival the PHV, but so far I don't think it's even close.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 4:18 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by dannybhoy
As it turned out, my SNAs did not clear. However, an appeal in person (I was staying 4 nights at the PHV before moving to the Westin) got me a tiny top (5th) floor Eiffel Tower View Room with an even more minuscule balconette (just about big enough for the coffee table and two chairs that were placed there that had a superb view of Paris from the Louvre to Tour Montparnasse to the Tuileries to Concorde, Grand Palais and the Eiffel Tower.

On the other hand, apart from the disappointment of not having my SNAs clear, it seems to me that this hotel is living on former glories and separately I understand that the current owners have put it on the market. Shower water pressure was worse than pisspoor. To say that moving from a Junior Suite (DSU but with a backstreet view of Rue Volney)) at the PHV to a tiny entry level room (albeit with a superb view of major Paris landmarks along the Seine) at the Westin is like moving from Neuilly to Bobigny is not that much of an exaggeration. I wasn't expecting the Westin to rival the PHV, but so far I don't think it's even close.
Well you are comparing apples to oranges when comparing a PHV junior suite with no view to a Westin entry level view room. I've stayed at both hotels, as well as the Prince de Galles.

First, the PHV is among the best hotels in Paris; the Westin is a rung or so below that overall.

Second, without the DSU, you'd have had a regular room at the PHV which is obviously better than a regular room at the Westin.

Third, being on the market has little to do with some hotel maintenance issues. The StR San Francisco was just bought, and it already was an amazing hotel--as it is still after the purchase.

Fourth, the comparable hotel to the PHV in SPG is the Prince de Galles. I also prefer the Vendome area, but I was underwhelmed by the stiff service and lackadaisical attitudes of staff at the PHV; we prefer the Westin, since we usually get upgraded (I actually prefer the junior suites with balconies and side views onto the Tuileries over the inner courtyard Prestige Suites with no views), anyway. The PdG area is also very nice (heck, it's right next door to the FSGV!).

The PdG has far superior service than the PHV IMO. The PdG entry rooms are smaller than those at the PHV, though--but as I always get upgraded to a suite at the PdG, I prefer the PdG suites over those in the PHV. We will be back at the PdG in Oct 2017...having chosen that over the PHV and the Westin (this time).

The Westin is a great property with very good service...as you witnessed as someone still kindly upgraded you to a view room on the top floor. But it's not as luxury as the PH overall. Apples to oranges.
miles4CDG likes this.
Old May 4, 2017, 3:21 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Hilton Silver
Here now, my SNA cleared to a prestige suite with a courtyard view, very peaceful for sleeping and overall a nice space.

There is no coffee or tea maker in the room however one complimentary cup per day is offered via room service. Every time I called I received my coffee in 5 minutes or less.

Took breakfast as my welcome amenity. It is provided in Le First. It is set up as a buffet with a very large selection of hot and cold items and a multitude of pastries. No exclusions on the hot items so in my opinion the breakfast is a really nice value.
Old May 4, 2017, 7:09 am
Suspended

Programs: Travel Agent (Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental, Peninsula, Ritz, etc.)
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Well you are comparing apples to oranges when comparing a PHV junior suite with no view to a Westin entry level view room. I've stayed at both hotels, as well as the Prince de Galles.

First, the PHV is among the best hotels in Paris; the Westin is a rung or so below that overall.

Second, without the DSU, you'd have had a regular room at the PHV which is obviously better than a regular room at the Westin.

Third, being on the market has little to do with some hotel maintenance issues. The StR San Francisco was just bought, and it already was an amazing hotel--as it is still after the purchase.

Fourth, the comparable hotel to the PHV in SPG is the Prince de Galles. I also prefer the Vendome area, but I was underwhelmed by the stiff service and lackadaisical attitudes of staff at the PHV; we prefer the Westin, since we usually get upgraded (I actually prefer the junior suites with balconies and side views onto the Tuileries over the inner courtyard Prestige Suites with no views), anyway. The PdG area is also very nice (heck, it's right next door to the FSGV!).

The PdG has far superior service than the PHV IMO. The PdG entry rooms are smaller than those at the PHV, though--but as I always get upgraded to a suite at the PdG, I prefer the PdG suites over those in the PHV. We will be back at the PdG in Oct 2017...having chosen that over the PHV and the Westin (this time).

The Westin is a great property with very good service...as you witnessed as someone still kindly upgraded you to a view room on the top floor. But it's not as luxury as the PH overall. Apples to oranges.
Agree 100%
Old May 4, 2017, 8:14 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Originally Posted by bhrubin

Pretty much agree to all the above, except for a part of the last paragraph. My experience over various stays was closer to: "The Westin is a fine property with a good to sometime mediocre level of service".
Old May 4, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Originally Posted by UASPG
Pretty much agree to all the above, except for a part of the last paragraph. My experience over various stays was closer to: "The Westin is a fine property with a good to sometime mediocre level of service".
Exactly right.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 3:08 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
At the hotel now, have been coming hear every couple of years since before it was a Westin. Upgraded to a nice junior suite (interior courtyard view).

The guest relations manager mentioned I was the only one getting an upgrade, as they were booked full, and have been since Marcon was elected.

Breakfast seens to have gone gone a little downhill since 2015 (although it’s always been a bit of a scrum when full).
Old Jan 29, 2018, 1:36 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
I'm staying here this coming weekend. This is my first SPG stay (Got platinum status from Marriott). I booked pre-paid through American Express Travel (Orbitz). Should I be expecting no benefits and the crappiest room available because I booked it through an OTA? (never used Orbitz before)
Old Jan 29, 2018, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Originally Posted by GateGuardian
I'm staying here this coming weekend. This is my first SPG stay (Got platinum status from Marriott). I booked pre-paid through American Express Travel (Orbitz). Should I be expecting no benefits and the crappiest room available because I booked it through an OTA? (never used Orbitz before)
yes. Same as you’d get from Marriott. 😀
Old Feb 20, 2018, 1:54 pm

Recently stayed here over a weekend, was able to apply a SNA for a Prestige Suite, looking out into the courtyard. As a solo traveler, I'd go for a room with a view instead. Prestige suite is great if you're traveling with friends or kids, basically two separate rooms one with a bed the other with a pullout, each with their own full bathrooms and separate entrances, connected by a lockable door. Quiet hotel with decent room service. Enjoyed the location too, walkable to the Eiffel Tower, Louvre, Arc de Triomphe, relatively close by to the metro.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:22 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
This might be a bit of a surprise: this hotel is apparently signed to become a Jumeirah in 2022 following a major renovation. From an article today:

"While talk is cheap, he notes that late last year Jumeirah joined with Henderson Park to acquire the Westin Vendome in Paris, which sometime in 2022 will become a Jumeirah. Between the purchase and renovation, the partners will spend about $1 billion with interior designer Tristan Auer (Hotel de Crillon, The Cotton House, Courchevel 1850) leading the way. Silva also wants to come back to the United States."

Source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/douggol.../#3a4f12c711f4

khabah
Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Wow. The place needs some work but I will be sad to see it leaving SPG/Marriott.
miles4CDG and bhrubin like this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:01 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by khabah
This might be a bit of a surprise: this hotel is apparently signed to become a Jumeirah in 2022 following a major renovation. From an article today:

"While talk is cheap, he notes that late last year Jumeirah joined with Henderson Park to acquire the Westin Vendome in Paris, which sometime in 2022 will become a Jumeirah. Between the purchase and renovation, the partners will spend about $1 billion with interior designer Tristan Auer (Hotel de Crillon, The Cotton House, Courchevel 1850) leading the way. Silva also wants to come back to the United States."

Source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/douggol.../#3a4f12c711f4

khabah
I’m not surprised. This property has amazing potential and a superb location with Eiffel Tower views and just a short walk to the Louvre. I’d always thought this could have become a great St Regis with the right owner and a massive renovation to bring it up to the Palace standard. The previous owner wasn’t willing to do that. The new owner is.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:02 am
BCH

Very disappointing. I agree with bhrubin that it could have been upgraded and reflagged as a St Regis or Luxury Collection property. Despite some flaws, it's my favorite hotel in Paris - but I'd never stay at a Jumeirah.
dingo, MSPeconomist and miles4CDG like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.