Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Bellevue, Washington [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2005, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever

I was just trying to find some temporary lodging while we move out of our house we just sold and was surprised to see how cheap the Westin Bellevue is. There are intro/opening discount rates of $119, which is a great deal if you look to see the standard rates are going to be in the low to mid $200 range. There is availability for much of December, midweek and weekend.

Even the regular "best available" rate is pretty good for the next few months ($129- $139) with good availability for random dates I plugged in. If this place is as nice as other newer Westins this is a great deal.

Doesnt exactly qualify as a mattress run, but if this Westin is as nice as the other recently built Westins I've been in, it would be a great combination getaway and status run for folks in the area.

I'm going to stop by for a room tour later this week and will report back since there are no reviews up yet...
Old Nov 14, 2005, 11:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott
rrrr. Nice hotel, but what the heck is with these Cotton/Poly blend sheets. Maybe I haven't stayed in a Westin in awhile, but these sheets are not heavenly.

The W friday night was much better in the bedding department

Otherwise, this hotel is great. The condos on floors 20-42 don't seem to be done yet.
Old Nov 27, 2005, 10:36 pm

Review from past weekend

Back at the Sheraton Bellevue after spending the weekend at the new Westin. The grand opening promo rates incl shopping card at Bellevue Square is an amazing deal. They're still trying to put the finishing touches together like no mirror in the fitness centre bathrooms and no shower caps in yet, but other than that, it's a great hotel and the staff are super friendly. The lap pool and exercise room are really nice as is the sun deck. Not sure if I'd stay on an award reservation since it doesn't seem up to the standards of some other cat IV’s but w/ this Sheraton being a III, I guess they had no choice. I think it would be comparable to a Westin Charlotte. The Sheraton here's great as well -- in addition to the club lounge and free parking, they also hook you up with HS internet if you’re Gold -- not quite sure why some reviews of this place aren't so positive -- it's not so bad and other than the W or this new Westin, I’d definitely be here if visiting Seattle.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 9:45 pm
cxn

Was not happy with the staff during my stay. I checked in and had to ask more than 5 times about a plat upgrade. I was lied to when I checked out. Etc. I was not impressed. I will go and complete my 6k bonus points but after that, back to the smaller Sheraton with a much better staff.
Old Mar 13, 2006, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by cxn
Was not happy with the staff during my stay. I checked in and had to ask more than 5 times about a plat upgrade. I was lied to when I checked out. Etc. I was not impressed. I will go and complete my 6k bonus points but after that, back to the smaller Sheraton with a much better staff.
I only asked once about a Platinum upgrade but also felt that the person checking in to me was less than truthful. I had changed my reservation from the W in Seattle to this hotel the night before so I was aware that there were upgradeable rooms. When I inquired about an upgraded room with a possibiity of a King size bed (my reservations were for 2 doubles as this was the only option at the time), I was told that the hotel was 99% sold out. Now 99% is not 100% sold out so I was aware that they had some upgradeable rooms, which I confirmed when I checked the reservation system.

Other than this, I thought the hotel was fine and centrally located in Bellevue. The one differentiating factor in the room was the nice flat screen TVs. Engineering deserves kudos as my remote was not working and the problem could not be detected. They had another flat screen brought up to replace the one in my room.
Old Mar 13, 2006, 4:39 pm

Also Did Not Get Plat Upgrade Here

I did not receive a Platinum upgrade of any kind -- suite, larger room or higher floor (received a standard room on the 6th floor of this 19-floor hotel) -- although I inquired about one. Given that I was checking in on a Saturday and this is primarily a business hotel, I felt the young woman who checked me in was being less than truthful when she said that no suite was available. I did not let my completely non-upgraded room bother me, however, as I had a competing reservation at the Hyatt Bellevue across the street. After checking out my Westin room and being underwhelmed (yes, it was new and modern, but it looked like just about every other cramped, overfurnished (for the room size) room offered up by the new Westins being built), I headed across the street to the Hyatt ... and slept there.

The staff at the Hyatt was warm and welcoming, I was given a room on the 20-something floor, and the room itself was more spacious than the room at the Westin and had been fully and pleasingly renovated in warm browns and reds.

For those who hold top-tier status in both SPG and Gold Passport, I would recommend the Hyatt over the Westin.

Oh, and when I checked out of the Westin the next morning, there was an in-room dining charge on my folio. I explained to the front-desk clerk that this was impossible as I had never even used the room. At this point I would have expected the young clerk to ask me why not and whether there was something wrong with my stay, but nothing.

Last edited by StarpointsSlave; Mar 13, 2006 at 4:42 pm Reason: Correct typo
Old Mar 15, 2006, 6:23 pm
wth

Programs: 2011 Air: AA (Plat) UA (Prem); Hotel: HGP (Dia), HH (Dia), KIT (IC); Car: HZ (PC) AF
I stayed here in early January during the intro weekend special of $119/night (note, best weekend rates are currently $159-169).

It's your basic Westin. Heavenly Bed (with the 50/50 sheets). Modern urban styling like all new Westins seem to be.

I was upgraded from a standard room to a lake view room. Problem is that since most rooms face south or north, you have to stand by the window and look to the west to see the lake. Not worth the extra $.

Location is good in that you have access to many restaurants at Lincoln Square and Bellevue Square without going outside. But same could be said of the Hyatt except you woud have to brave the elements for a block.

I self-parked at the underground parking at Lincoln Square. I asked at check-in about how to handle parking if you self park. They weren't very informed or helpful. Based on my results, you can self park there overnight with no charge (parking at LS is free). So unless you really benefit from valet parking (or you're on expense account), save the expense. There is an elevator on the south end of the garage that takes you to the Westin lobby.

There were a few simple design things that bugged me about the Westin. First, they had premium beers in the honor bar that were not twist-off, but there was no bottle opener in the room. Second, it required two key uses to access the fitness/pool area. And the key access to the fitness area is oddly placed (read some distance) from the door.

I haven't stayed at the Hyatt so I will leave others to compare. But, for the money, I'd prefer to stay at the Sheraton. They have Sweet Sleepers which are comparable to the HB, IMO. They also have Starbucks in the room. And they have a Club Lounge (or when closed, they offer one free breakfast entree and beverage). Parking is also free (albeit outside). The one downside to the Sheraton is poorer location.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 9:07 pm

Programs: DL Plat/1M, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Plat, HH Gold
Ok. I'm going to ask the obvious ?. I've heard of many people double-booking two hotels and then selecting the nicer one after checking them out - but apparently you have paid for two rooms for the same nite.

I could see this as a Mattress Run late in the year to maintain status, but in March??

Perhaps you are some kind of hotel/travel critic and you get paid to do this?

Just curious

Originally Posted by StarpointsSlave
I did not receive a Platinum upgrade of any kind -- suite, larger room or higher floor (received a standard room on the 6th floor of this 19-floor hotel) -- although I inquired about one. Given that I was checking in on a Saturday and this is primarily a business hotel, I felt the young woman who checked me in was being less than truthful when she said that no suite was available. I did not let my completely non-upgraded room bother me, however, as I had a competing reservation at the Hyatt Bellevue across the street. After checking out my Westin room and being underwhelmed (yes, it was new and modern, but it looked like just about every other cramped, overfurnished (for the room size) room offered up by the new Westins being built), I headed across the street to the Hyatt ... and slept there.

The staff at the Hyatt was warm and welcoming, I was given a room on the 20-something floor, and the room itself was more spacious than the room at the Westin and had been fully and pleasingly renovated in warm browns and reds.

For those who hold top-tier status in both SPG and Gold Passport, I would recommend the Hyatt over the Westin.

Oh, and when I checked out of the Westin the next morning, there was an in-room dining charge on my folio. I explained to the front-desk clerk that this was impossible as I had never even used the room. At this point I would have expected the young clerk to ask me why not and whether there was something wrong with my stay, but nothing.
Old Mar 16, 2006, 4:26 pm

Originally posted by ashi_seattle: Ok. I'm going to ask the obvious ?. I've heard of many people double-booking two hotels and then selecting the nicer one after checking them out - but apparently you have paid for two rooms for the same nite. I could see this as a Mattress Run late in the year to maintain status, but in March??

As a leisure traveler trying to requalify for top-tier status in two hotel programs on my own dime, I have to do mattress runs early and often. With Hyatt's $50 Amex gift card promotion which ran through February, the Hyatt Bellevue was my mattress run (net room rate was $57 + tax). Originally I had planned on checking into the Hyatt but sleeping at the Westin, but I wound up sleeping at the Hyatt for the reasons discussed in my earlier post.
Old Apr 23, 2006, 3:00 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
I'm considering a stay at the Westin Bellevue. Any recent experiences how it treats Plats? (although Mar 15 is pretty recent. )

I gave them a call asking if they had an Executive lounge but, no. I then asked if they comped breakfasts instead and the answer was "maybe, depends if you've stayed before or the reason you're here".
Old Apr 26, 2006, 3:04 pm

Programs: CO Plat(soon Premier Gold) PC lifetime(UC Life?) SPG Plat(Soon Gold)
Originally Posted by Braindrain
I'm considering a stay at the Westin Bellevue. Any recent experiences how it treats Plats? (although Mar 15 is pretty recent. )

I gave them a call asking if they had an Executive lounge but, no. I then asked if they comped breakfasts instead and the answer was "maybe, depends if you've stayed before or the reason you're here".
I stayed there last weekend. They recognized my plat, offered amenity. (but points didn't show up on my account so I had to request to SPG today)
Upgraded to "Executive Suite" room #xx27, but it wasn't so big - "Junior Suite" of Westin South Coasta Plaza or Westin Park Central (Dallas) is much better, although it was northwest cornor room with lake view.

Continental breakfast (include some deli meats and boiled eggs) at 1st floor costs $14 plus tax/person.
Vallet Parking $17 plus tax/night.
HSIA $11.95 plus tax/24 hours.

Obviously understaffed on weekend - but better chance for room upgrade, I think.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 11:02 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by PforPlatinum
I stayed there last weekend. They recognized my plat, offered amenity. (but points didn't show up on my account so I had to request to SPG today)
Upgraded to "Executive Suite" room #xx27, but it wasn't so big - "Junior Suite" of Westin South Coasta Plaza or Westin Park Central (Dallas) is much better, although it was northwest cornor room with lake view.

Continental breakfast (include some deli meats and boiled eggs) at 1st floor costs $14 plus tax/person.
Vallet Parking $17 plus tax/night.
HSIA $11.95 plus tax/24 hours.

Obviously understaffed on weekend - but better chance for room upgrade, I think.
Thanks!
Old Jul 23, 2006, 10:47 pm

Just completed a stay at Westin Bellevue this weekend. Not much more to add then what has already been posted.

I only have SPG Gold Status, and was "upgraded" to the 14th floor, which is the Preferred Guest Floor. I was told there's nothing different on that floor, than any other floor, other than the fact that you get a free bottle of water.

My room was near the elevators and fairly noisy (could hear neighboring rooms doors closing etc.) I had inquired about a more substantial upgrade at check-in, even offering to pay for one, but was told the hotel was sold out, and no upgrades available.

You can self-park in the underground Parking in Licoln Square on Levels 4 or 5, and it takes maybe three minutes to walk from the parking, take the elevators, and enter the Westin.

In room High Speed Internet Access is available for $11.95 per 24 hour period. However, another option is Bellevue Square across the street offers free wireless internet access.

Some great dining options in the immediate vicinity including a McCormick and Schmicks, Cheesecake Factory, Joeys.

Another restaurant I quite enjoyed for a more casual dinner: Z'Tejas Southwestern Grill.

I was in Seattle to watch the Mariners/Red Sox series, and it took me about 30 minute to drive from the hotel to Safeco.

Overall, a decent hotel, but nothing special. I may try the Hyatt, or the Bellevue Sheraton for my next trip.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 11:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HH Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium
I stayed at the Westin Bellevue in late June in the Grand Deluxe room. The room is nice and spacious, and its very convenient to food and entertainment in the area.

It probably would have been too expensive, but there was a great promotion at the time.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 6:24 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Arrow Westin Bellevue, Washington (Master Thread)

Preface: In SEA for meeting. Also visited the Future of Flight tour at Boeing. You may obtain tickets online. We were able to walk about the exhibit areas at no charge. With your ticket you also get a bus tour of the 777 line and building of the 787 line. Well worth it. Not far from Hotel.

Rate: Reasonable rate.

Transportation: An associate picked me up from SEA. I took a cab this morning very early from the Hotel to SEA. Total all in $41.

Check-in: The Hotel was full. I was pre-assigned a room facing south. Offered amenity card and picked points. No further upgrade available.

Perks: As noted above.

Room: The room was pretty standard. Certainly not over the top in anyway. Upon entering you come onto carpet. The bathroom was standard with the shower heads and pushed out curtain to left. The right has a area which looks like it is missing a piece of furniture. I had a king heavenly bed on the left with a desk and large LCD screen opposite. The room has a frig and with Starbucks packets. A lounging sofa is also included. I was expecting more. The straight out view is cement. Looking to the far right you can see the water. The position of the Hotels means all south and north views are cement so to speak. The north views I were told by staff is worse. Only full on west facing rooms have nice water views. The building is tall but the Hotel is only on the lower floors. I've been to the Hyatt and Woodmark. They would be preferred.

Communications: HSIA is $11.95 plus tax for 24 hours.

Gym: Did not try.

Spa: Did not try.

Eating Venues: Did not try but plenty in the area. We had lunch at Rock Bottom and dinner at Anthony's which has an excellent early bird special. $17.95 for a full meal before 6 PM.

Local Markets: Did not try.

Negatives: I had a difficult time just getting in touch with the correct department on a service issue. Not a polished staff.

Closing: The Hotel is ok. I think for me a been there, done that attitude is the nicest way to put it. It feels commercial and the rooms are nice but not over the top. I guess they lack a personal feel. The Hyatt would be my first perfer in the area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.