Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Fort Lauderdale 2006 onward [Master Thread]

Westin Fort Lauderdale 2006 onward [Master Thread]

Old Jul 1, 2011, 4:03 pm

Did this property leave Starwood?
Old Jul 1, 2011, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Looks like SPG IT is having a problem keeping up with property listings. They lost the Westin near SFO last week, now this...

If you are looking to book or just curious call SPG. Maybe if their call centers get overloaded on phone calls someone will rattle the right cage to get things back online.

Sometimes we get too tied into this passing fad called the internet... Old school still works, pick up a phone.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 3:50 am
iwc

The hotel is no longer listed in the Westin Hotel Directory either.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 10:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
How can a "Westin" leave Starwood? Or is the property re-branding to an independent name or joining another chain?

I can't imagine SW permitting a branded hotel from opting out of the program - it's just a generic 'blah' hotel, not a fancy exclusive island resort.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 10:59 am

Programs: spg gold, CO Platinum, MR Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
How can a "Westin" leave Starwood? Or is the property re-branding to an independent name or joining another chain?

I can't imagine SW permitting a branded hotel from opting out of the program - it's just a generic 'blah' hotel, not a fancy exclusive island resort.
maybe the glitch has not been fixed? the hotel's website works fine
Old Jul 4, 2011, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by bocastephen

Hotels get reflagged all the time. There are some properties that clearly state they do not participate in the SPG program yet are still carried on the SPG booking site. So just about anything can happen.

Unfortunately, there is a thread about SPG IT loosing properties. This is the second I've heard about, both being Westins. Hmmmm Did some programmer get a bad room on their last stay? We may never know.

Let the speculations roll!

Last edited by RogerD408; Jul 4, 2011 at 11:29 am
Old Nov 10, 2011, 6:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, AA Platinum, National Emerald Exec Elite
Our company travels extensively to the Fort Lauderdale/Miami area and always stay at this property. It is in very close proximity to I-95 and serves as primarily a business class hotel. The rooms are upscale when compared to a standard business class hotel. The facilities are 4 star in my mind although there is some wear here and there - something which most properties have to show. Their staff is very helpful and accommodating - if you have an issue, try Jake Oja or One of their management staff. We have always been well-taken care of. They are affiliated with SPG and Platinums wills receive free parking in a special lot close to the front door. Upgrades are consistent, but quite frankly, their standard rooms are very nice too. A little bit of road noise and the occasional aircraft taking off, but nothing that would keep you up. A tip would be to ask for a room away from the elevator because the dinging can get annoying. They use this hotel for business conferences, thus their clientele tends to be business professionals. I would definitely recommend this hotel for the value.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:27 am
Suspended

just had a one night stay here. it was just an in-and-out after arriving late at FLL and before beginning our trip the next day.
front desk staff were very pleasant and professional. plat recognition was excellent. it was a C&P stay and we were upgraded to a corner executive suite which was very comfortable. had a quick beer downstairs at the bar before retiring. they comped the parking for us as plat. no lounge.
since we were really just in and out we didn't have a chance to look around the area, but it's probably not a great vacation hotel due to its location. for our purposes it was perfect though and we enjoyed our short stay.
Old May 31, 2012, 8:40 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Had a two night stay here over Memorial Day and was distinctively unimpressed.

As a Plat, I got upgraded to a junior suite which was nice enough, but the AC unit in it was far to weak to cope with the Florida heat (82F in the room despite having the curtains drawn). There was also a broken safe and missing amenities such as complimentary water and bathrobes.

The hotel also has serious maintenance issues: I got stuck in elevators twice. Throughout the time I was there, the water cooler in the small gym was broken, and nobody bothered to provide some alternative. Most importantly, by 3pm on both afternoons, the hotel had run out of pool towels and they did not return for the rest of the day. When other guests and I confronted staff, we were given all sorts of stories about how bad guests were to steal them, instead of an apology. It felt like nobody really cared.

Before checking out, I requested a chat with a manager, who was very good about it and promised to review the issues with his team. He also deposited service promise Starpoints into my account. Still, I can't see myself returning here.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG/Marriott Plat, WOH Diamond, IHG Plat Ambassador, HHonors Gold, jetBlue Mosaic
I've stayed here as a Plat on a few mattress runs to hit free night thresholds etc... and have always been very happy with this hotel. In addition to the primo parking spots, they give Plats 25% on all food and non-alcoholic drinks. They are only a Cat. 2 and I recently noticed with the 3,000-point suite promotion, this hotel is basically giving you a free night (3,000 points) per stay...and the rate for a qualifying suite is only $139 a night for most nights I checked.
Old May 4, 2013, 12:20 pm

Programs: marriott platinum, intercontinental diamond
Very pleasant stay

Just finished a one night stay. Staff was pleasant and efficient. I was upgraded to a small suite and room was well laid out.
I chose the platinum continental breakfast benefit. I was able to upgrade to the full breakfast buffet for $5.00 per person.
Good value for $79 weekend rate.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Just stayed here last night. I think this is a fine business hotel. It is nothing special but a fine experience.

Physical Plant - The hotel lobby was very presentable. They did not have my room choice available. The check-in agent was very apologetic - compensated me with additional SPG points and a free breakfast buffet at the restaurant. I found the restaurant buffet very adequate and had a nice view of the (rainy) lake. The fitness center was fine, albeit somewhat small. It was strange that I had to exit the hotel to enter the fitness center (given it was raining), but it was only a mild inconvenience.

Rooms - The rooms had new-ish, flat screen TVs. The bathroom I had was small but the shower was good, with the nice "rainfall" shower head. I found the layout of the room somewhat strange as the TV did not directly face the bed, but the room had good amenities, adequate plugs/lighting and I was generally pleased.

Area - This is purely a business hotel. In fact, it sits right in the middle of an office park. If you are staying here for leisure, you will be disappointed. There is a non-trivial drive to the beach, however for business, great access to all major highways and roadways if you don't need to be in downtown MIA / FLL. I had meetings at various locations in Broward County and I passed the hotel several times in fact. I was very pleased with this hotel and I would return for business in the future.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Checked into this hotel for a one-night stay booked at a SPG Hot Escapes rate. At checkin, asked for the 4PM late checkout for Platinum guests and was told that the hotel couldn't offer a late checkout. I mentioned that this was guaranteed for Platinum guests at hotels that aren't resorts or conference centers and was told that a late checkout was still unavailable. Then (politely, of course) asked to speak to a manager.

Manager told me that the hotel chooses to offer late checkouts when they're available and that hotel policy supersedes SPG policy in this matter. I actually pulled out the SPG welcome book that was on the desk at this point and pointed out the Platinum benefits to her, detailing the 4 PM late checkout at non-resort/conference center hotels, and she still wouldn't budge. At that point, I told her that I would ask for SPG's assistance in the matter, but the platinum concierge has been unable to get in touch with the manager on duty. I contacted the Lurker, so I hope that there will be some long-term resolution to this matter, but looks like I'm out of luck for tomorrow with regards to using the hotel past noon, even though I had planned accordingly.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 5:15 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by steveholt
Checked into this hotel for a one-night stay booked at a SPG Hot Escapes rate. At checkin, asked for the 4PM late checkout for Platinum guests and was told that the hotel couldn't offer a late checkout. I mentioned that this was guaranteed for Platinum guests at hotels that aren't resorts or conference centers and was told that a late checkout was still unavailable. Then (politely, of course) asked to speak to a manager.

Manager told me that the hotel chooses to offer late checkouts when they're available and that hotel policy supersedes SPG policy in this matter. I actually pulled out the SPG welcome book that was on the desk at this point and pointed out the Platinum benefits to her, detailing the 4 PM late checkout at non-resort/conference center hotels, and she still wouldn't budge. At that point, I told her that I would ask for SPG's assistance in the matter, but the platinum concierge has been unable to get in touch with the manager on duty. I contacted the Lurker, so I hope that there will be some long-term resolution to this matter, but looks like I'm out of luck for tomorrow with regards to using the hotel past noon, even though I had planned accordingly.
Well, there is *ALWAYS* a MOD (Manager on Duty) at every property, they're just not always immediately available. But, with a tad of persistence on the part of your Plat Concierge contact, this should be sorted out in short order. Frankly, if the hotel was aware that you felt this strongly about the matter, it's somewhat surprising that they didn't just concede it to you after a few minutes of discussion at the front desk.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 10:28 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by sbtinme
Well, there is *ALWAYS* a MOD (Manager on Duty) at every property, they're just not always immediately available. But, with a tad of persistence on the part of your Plat Concierge contact, this should be sorted out in short order. Frankly, if the hotel was aware that you felt this strongly about the matter, it's somewhat surprising that they didn't just concede it to you after a few minutes of discussion at the front desk.
Not only did the hotel refuse to offer the late checkout, the hotel wouldn't even offer a late checkout after I was assisted by SPG (first by the Plat Concierge and then by Starwood Lurker)! That's how insistent they were.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.