Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton La Caleta Resort & Spa, Tenerife, Spain CLOSED 1 Jul 2022 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton La Caleta Resort & Spa, Tenerife, Spain CLOSED 1 Jul 2022 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2005, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Platinum HH Gold
Arrow Sheraton La Caleta Resort & Spa, Tenerife, Spain CLOSED 1 Jul 2022 [Master Thread]

Anyone stayed at the La Caleta in Tenerife yet?

Thinking about a Canary Islands trip. Read some reports on the Mencey, but have seen nothing on La Caleta just yet.

Thanks.
Old Jun 15, 2005, 7:14 am

Location: Bucks, UK. BA Gold, VS Gold, SPG Platinum etc., etc.
I have just returned from a week at the new Sheraton La Caleta, and I can highly recommend it. It is new, so there are one or two teething problems (air conditioning not 100% effective and some finishing required) but all the building is complete and the spa is now open. It is a healthy distance from los Cristianos and Playa de las Americas, but they are a relatively short drive away.

I stayed with my wife & 2 young children (3 & 2) and there was something for all of them to do - spa treatments for her and childrens club and several pools for them.

The beach is virtually non-existent (v rocky that part of the island) but there is a man-made one nearby which you can use, but is not an exclusive one for the hotel (one is apparently planned, but not complete).

The hotel is very airy, the club lounge very good, the restaurants are excellent (even the buffet restaurant for those on half board) and, currently, few package tour operators have it in their brochures (because it only opened earlier this year) meaning that there aren't many people there, and there are bargains to be had.

I would really have no complaints to make on this property - everyone from the bell boy, receptionist, waiters and waitresses were excellent, helpful and very welcoming.

Let me know if you want more information, but if you are thinking of going there I would rate it highly.

Last edited by sleepyandgrumpy; Jun 15, 2005 at 7:15 am Reason: spelling
Old Jun 15, 2005, 8:07 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
Thanks for your report - just in time for the summer season.

1.) The hotel is offered in some travel catalogues with an "All Inclusive" option. Do you know anything about this option (e.g. surcharge; drinks/food available)?

2.) How are the grounds (garden with canvas chairs + sunshades? How are the pools?)?

3.) How big is the public beach? Are there chairs and sunshades available for rent on the public beach? Do you have an idea about prices for daily rental (otherwise it is normally cheaper to buy sunshades and chairs at the destination and give it away before departure).

4.) What about parking? Is there a garage? How much is the daily fee?
Old Jun 15, 2005, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by LH738
Thanks for your report - just in time for the summer season.

1.) The hotel is offered in some travel catalogues with an "All Inclusive" option. Do you know anything about this option (e.g. surcharge; drinks/food available)?

2.) How are the grounds (garden with canvas chairs + sunshades? How are the pools?)?

3.) How big is the public beach? Are there chairs and sunshades available for rent on the public beach? Do you have an idea about prices for daily rental (otherwise it is normally cheaper to buy sunshades and chairs at the destination and give it away before departure).

4.) What about parking? Is there a garage? How much is the daily fee?
1) I can't tell about the all-inclusive rate - I'm pretty sure no-one was on it while we were there. We booked a half-board option through the website, and this allows the kids to eat for free (at the buffet restaurant, which has something for everyone - honestly!). It also gives the grown-ups a credit against any of the other 2 restaurants in the hotel (Spanish & Japanese) open after 6pm (the poolside one shuts around then). The prices for drinks aren't bad, but the club lounge (if you can get access) has complimentary wine, beer, cava and soft drinks all day long, and spirits available for a couple of hours in the evening. (Actually, an added bonus is complimentary cava at breakfast, too, which gives the day a very pleasant start!)

2) The grounds are pretty extensive and it is quite easy to get away from screaming kids (which were limited to ours when we were there) and find a lounger or table and chairs under a lounger without any difficulty - there are plenty of each. The sunloungers are all plastic, but the ones in the spa are wooden. The chairs are metal, but comfy. Fresh towels are freely available.

3) The public beach is really very small, and at full tide there probably wouldn't be room for more than a couple of towels! So, no, there aren't chairs for hire. The sand is black, too (or at least it was before a load of sand from the Sahara was dumped on it. Now it is a sort of muddy colour, unfortunately).

4) Parking was quite a pleasant surprise given most of my top-end hotel stays are limited to the US were parking is $30/day and up. Here, it is valet parking for free (yes, FREE!), and they are very prompt and friendly. A mysterious scratch did appear on my car (not malicious, I am almost certain) but they cheerfully polished it out, and made sure there would be no problems with Hertz when I dropped it off.

Happy to give more info if you need it.
Old Jun 15, 2005, 1:18 pm

Just as a side note, I think there are only public beaches in Spain anyway.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 7:38 am

What about walking from the hotel along the beach? Is this possible without having to use the street or are there hills (as sleepyandgrumpy wrote that there is only a small beach)? It would be quite a downside if it is not possible to walk/jog along the beach.
Old Jun 25, 2005, 7:51 am

Is it possible to open the window in the room? Do the rooms have balconies?
Old Jun 28, 2005, 6:09 am

LH738 - There is a promenade between the hotel properties in La Caleta and the beaches (MoritzK's reply about the beaches being public explains why the path is there). The hotel has a key card controlled gate to the path at the back of the resort. There are plenty of people walking and jogging along it, and I would suppose (but didn't try it) that you can go all the way along to the next town - Las Americas - though God alone knows why you might want to.

WaltherVonDerVogelweide - All the rooms have balconies, and all have tables and chairs there.

Incidentally, the map on the hotel's website makes it appear that the hotel is on the wrong side of the motorway TF1. Rest assured it is right on the coast. I mentioned it to the front desk staff, and they said they would pass the message on, but clearly these corrections take time.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 6:23 am

Better late than never ... until I finished the report.

Thanks again for your replies. I stayed last year in the hotel and had a great time.

+ splendid garden
+ very nice room; good bed (Deluxe Suite with ocean view)
+ excellent Platinum recognition
+ huge safe with power outlet
+ nice wellness center (but who wants to stay indoors on Tenerife)

- service sometimes slow
- small public beach

Picture report: Sheraton La Caleta Resort & Spa

Last edited by LH738; Feb 8, 2006 at 6:31 am
Old Feb 8, 2006, 10:53 am

Thanks again for your replies. I stayed last year in the hotel and had a great time.

+ splendid garden

- service sometimes slow
- small public beach

Oh my, spectacular report. Just in time as I'm making my travel plans for 2006: I'll spend summer holiday with wife and kids on Tenerife this year again. I stayed in the luxus resort "Bahia del Duque" two years ago. The stay was excellent. I planned to go to the Bahia del Duque again but after reading your report, I'll go to the new Sheraton this time. The garden and pools look so beautiful - much nicer compared to the Bahia. (also thanks for the overview of hotel progs on your page).
Old Feb 8, 2006, 3:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, IHG Elite KLM Flying Blue,

+ splendid garden

- service sometimes slow
- small public beach

Thanks for your perfect review!
Pictures say a thousand words....

Was the clublounge worthwhile, if one has to pay extra for the clubroom?
Old Feb 8, 2006, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by claes059
Was the clublounge worthwhile, if one has to pay extra for the clubroom?
It depends from your preferences:
1.) Breakfast: yes, the clublounge is worthwhile.
2.) Lunch: not available.
3.) Afternoon for tea and cakes: yes, the clublounge is worthwhile.
4.) Beverages: yes, the clublounge is worthwhile (including alcohlic beverages in the evening).
5.) Dinner: no, the clublounge is not worthwhile if you want to eat dinner ONLY in the lounge. If you stay for a longer time, you'll see that the food is always the same and the food is not really "filling" (not much).

Last edited by LH738; Feb 8, 2006 at 11:29 pm
Old Mar 1, 2006, 12:26 pm

+ splendid garden

- service sometimes slow
- small public beach

Wonderful picture report which reminded me of my stay in Nov 2005. The garden is really fantastic.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 7:57 am

+ splendid garden

- service sometimes slow
- small public beach

I had used your report to make my final decission: now I'm just coming back and had a great time. Wife, kids and myself flew on Condor to Tenerife South airport (flights were surprisingly good). We had two club rooms on the 5th floor. The sea view from the 5th floor is outstanding. The service was good and so we enjoyed some relaxing days in the Winter sun.

There are plenty of sun loungers around the pools. The Spa area is wonderful. My wife is still dreaming of the Spa...

Breakfast (including Cava) was excellent with a huge choice. Food in the restaurants is a bit pricy but there are alternatives within walking distance. There are no evening activities in the hotel (except a piano singer).
Old Jul 28, 2006, 4:19 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, KLM Gold, ex-BMI Gold, ex-AC Elite (...sad isn't it)
Sheraton La Caleta Resort & Spa in Canary Islands [Master Thread]

Will be out at the Sheraton La Caleta Resort & Spa in Tenerife for a week shortly.... Any info on the hotel and the locale?

As well, any suggestions on good rooms, etc.... have a pretty good record upgrading to suites across Starwood properties and would like to have a nice view of the beach!

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.