Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Beijing General Discussion Thread (Where should I stay? Which hotel is better? etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beijing General Discussion Thread (Where should I stay? Which hotel is better? etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2004, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum-2 MM Starwood Plat,Delta DM
Originally Posted by chazas
I faced this same question in deciding where to have a 5 night award stay in September. While I usually don't need luxury, like to save money/points, and thus would have chosen the Sheraton, I sprang for the St. Regis for its location. Sounds like I made the right decision.

BTW, if you're transferring any of your Starpoints on this trip into airline miles, the Nights & Flights II award makes the St. Regis much more affordable on a point basis. A 5 night stay is normally 50,000 points (10,000/night), available at the Fifth Night Free rate for 40,000 points (8000/night), but with N&FII effectively is 30,000 points (6000/night). You pay 70,000 points total, 40,000 gets transferred into 50,000 miles on the airline of your choice, then you get 5 nights for the remaining 30,000 points.
Excellent tip on the nights and flights deal. Makes great sense. I will look at doing the same for some of my hotel stays...
Old Jun 10, 2004, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA Silver, HH/Bonvoy Gold, AA, WN CP
Earlier posters made the good point of 1) the age of the Sheraton GW, and 2) the prime location of the St. Regis. The Sheraton is closer to the airport and perhaps one of the Great Wall sites (Badaling? one of them), but is still a good hotel. I've stayed at the St. Regis, and it really was perhaps the best hotel I've stayed at to date (this was in 2001, special internet rate of $160). It's right next to a subway stop and in the central city. The Sheraton is off the Third Ring road. Though I can see how the St. Regis can get real expensive real fast. I'd think if you're not going to spend lots of time in the hotel anyway, might as well stay at the Sheraton.
Old Jun 11, 2004, 7:19 am

Programs: AC *E
Thumbs up

Thanks to all for the excellent advice. We've booked at the St. Regis for $225 (plus 15% tax) - we're also considering upgrading to the next bigger room (450 sq ft versus 323 sq ft) for an additional $25/night. Anyone have any experience with the possibility of Gold upgrades at this property?

If anyone has any good tips on Beijing tour guides, drivers, etc., we would be grateful to receive them, either by a post or private message.
Old Jun 11, 2004, 10:28 am

St Regis hands down!

Another option is the Grand Hyatt in Beijing. It's a new hotel and was superbe. It has one of the best gyms/spa/pools I have ever seen in a non resort hotel.
Old Nov 3, 2004, 3:26 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, OW Emerald, HH Diamond
Updates Requested on St. Regis Beijing

Greetings fellow *woodies =)

The great minds that be have just dicated that it is necessary that I place myself in Beijing for three weeks in December and have graciously allowed me to stay at the St. Regis. This thread was the most comprehensive I've found on the St. Regis in Beijing, so instead of starting a new thread, I figured I would ask my questions here:

1) How frequent are the upgrades for Plats?
2) My company has a negoitated rate of $175/nt. -- will this affect my chance of an upgrade (if at all possible)?
3) I've read there is a club lounge with alcohol here; is access automatically given to Plats?
4) Is there breakfast in the club lounge? or any other type of complimentary breakfast for platinums?
5) Do all guests have access to the health club and pool?
6) off-topic: I know that Hong Kong is great for getting low-cost/high-quality tailored made suits, shirts, trousers, etc. Does Beijing similiarly also have good quality, low cost tailors?

Thanks for the insights!
Old Nov 3, 2004, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Possible savings via multi-night promo rates

Here's a link to check for possible reduced rates on multi-night stays in Asia. I did a random check for some dates at the St. Regis Beijing, and they DO participate in this promo, and substantial savings can be had -- subject to availability. I don't know offhand if the Great Wall Sheraton participates in this promo.

http://www.starwood.com/promotions/p...PGSO_AP_HOTELS

There are similar multi-night promos available in other parts of the world besides Asia, and I have posted the links to those in the PROMOS thread and other places.

EDIT: I should add that I stayed five nights at the St. Regis in June 2002 on an award stay, and got a Platinum upgrade to a suite that was one large room with a sleeping area and a sitting area. Very plush. The executive lounge served evening snacks and drinks, but no breakfast, IIRC. I took advantage of the complimentary coffee or tea brought to the room by the butler in the morning. It was served within a few minutes of my phoning for it. Just remember that was 2.5 years ago.

Last edited by KathyWdrf; Nov 3, 2004 at 6:33 pm
Old Nov 3, 2004, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA MM, UA Gold
Has anyone gotten an SPG50 to work with the St. Regis?? I just made a reservation with this hope.
Old Nov 3, 2004, 6:58 pm

Programs: CO; UA; Delta; Hilton Gold; SPG
Originally Posted by brarob1
Has anyone gotten an SPG50 to work with the St. Regis?? I just made a reservation with this hope.
What you do mean by, "...with this hope"? Use of the SPG50 certificate has to be confirmed at the time of booking and is subject to capacity controls. You can't just confirm a res at any rate and try to apply it, if that's what you're driving at.
Old Nov 3, 2004, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
We just spent 5 nights at the St. Regis on an award stay as golds, so I'll answer what I can.

1) How frequent are the upgrades for Plats?

Dunno, since I'm not plat, but as a gold I got a high floor room with a great south view, and an early checkin.

3) I've read there is a club lounge with alcohol here; is access automatically given to Plats?

The SPG Gold literature in our room indicated that golds have access, so I'd assume plats do also. But we never went - my partner doesn't drink and it just wasn't a priority.

5) Do all guests have access to the health club and pool?

Yes, and it's pretty nice, though the staff are not nearly as well-trained and polite as the staff of the hotel.
Old Nov 3, 2004, 6:59 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by brarob1
Hopefully, you called the Customer Contact Center and booked the SPG50 rate. If you didn't, the SPG50 certificate isn't going to work at all. If you did, you should have no problems.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Nov 3, 2004, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA PremExec, SPG Plat, CO Gold, HH Gold
Danieli's Restaurant in St Regis

Strange but Ture. My wife (an Italian) had her best Italian meal @ Danieli's Restaurant in St Regis. ^
Old Nov 4, 2004, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, UA Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond/Ambassador, Hyatt Explor
I am at the St. Regis now on a 5 night cash and points stay. Got the upgrade to the Executive Deluxe room, additional bottled water and fruit, and lounge access. I think all guests have access to the gym. I haven't checked out the the lounge so I can't comment on evening snakes or breakfast, but was told by the front desk it can be had for $22 each morning at the restaurant. Anyone know what else Platinum members are entitled to at this property?
Old Nov 5, 2004, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by Motion122
I am at the St. Regis now on a 5 night cash and points stay. Got the upgrade to the Executive Deluxe room, additional bottled water and fruit, and lounge access. I think all guests have access to the gym. I haven't checked out the the lounge so I can't comment on evening snakes or breakfast, but was told by the front desk it can be had for $22 each morning at the restaurant. Anyone know what else Platinum members are entitled to at this property?
Do they still have the butler service? Can you get complimentary coffee or tea delivered to your room? Those were benefits when I was there 2.5 years ago.

And I doubt you'll get any "snakes" in the lounge, but you might get evening snacks. Probably no breakfast in the lounge, unless that has been added.
Old Nov 5, 2004, 5:13 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, UA Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond/Ambassador, Hyatt Explor
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
Do they still have the butler service? Can you get complimentary coffee or tea delivered to your room? Those were benefits when I was there 2.5 years ago.

And I doubt you'll get any "snakes" in the lounge, but you might get evening snacks. Probably no breakfast in the lounge, unless that has been added.
Yes, the butler service is still available. I was shown my room, explained what services are available, and garments pressed by my butler. I was also offered tea or coffee in my room anytime during my stay, but I prefer just water and was told they are complimentry. And if I run out all I need to do is hit the butler button on my phone and he will bring me more. What a nice touch!

I have yet to check out the lounge, but was told there is cocktail reception with snacks from 5:30-7:00PM each evening. The lounge is open until 10PM, however.
Old Nov 5, 2004, 6:12 am
Suspended

Coffee in the room

Originally Posted by Motion122
I was also offered tea or coffee in my room anytime during my stay, but I prefer just water and was told they are complimentry.
I am not sure whether its just me but I didnt like the coffee that was served in the room at the St Regis Beijing which tasted rather flat and lacking in aroma, unlike the coffee served in the room at the Sheraton Laguna Nusa Dua in Bali. The coffee served during breakfast in the restaurant seem to taste slightly better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.