Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Beijing General Discussion Thread (Where should I stay? Which hotel is better? etc.)

Beijing General Discussion Thread (Where should I stay? Which hotel is better? etc.)

Old Sep 29, 2014, 3:32 am

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Let me rephrase: Which Starwood would be the easiest to get to from Bejiing South? Closest to a subway stop, etc?
Old Sep 29, 2014, 3:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by abraxis
Let me rephrase: Which Starwood would be the easiest to get to from Bejiing South? Closest to a subway stop, etc?
You can safely eliminate the Haidian properties from the field. Among the rest, I'd say that Financial Street and the St. Regis are about 10 minutes closer than the GW, Dongcheng, or the Westin Chaoyang. All but the St. Regis are reasonably close to subway stations, but we're talking about long rides and intense crowds, so you're probably best served by taking a taxi if the traffic isn't too bad.

ETA: I just checked out a map, and realized that Financial Street is considerably closer than the St. Regis (maybe even less than 20 minutes).

Last edited by moondog; Sep 29, 2014 at 4:08 am
Old Sep 29, 2014, 4:00 pm

Thanks. I was leaning toward the Westin. It's hard to determine distance from the SPG maps since they're not often to scale. And Beijing is a big place.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 5:37 pm

Thanks. I was leaning toward the Westin. It's hard to determine distance from the SPG maps since they're not often to scale. And Beijing is a big place.
How many days are you staying? If only one or two nights, and your plan is to take a train out of town on the backside, then maybe Financial Street makes sense. Otherwise, I encourage you to go for Westin Chaoyang, St. Regis, Great Wall (old, but cheap), or the Sheraton Dongcheng. Financial Street is extremely sterile/boring IMO.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 3:06 am

2 nights stay. Good rate. 960 RMB.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 3:43 am

2 nights stay. Good rate. 960 RMB.
The GW should be much cheaper than that. Even though its date with the wrecking ball is drawing ever closer (on borrowed time by now, actually), the renovated rooms are pretty nice, and the location is solid. It's also possible to get both the Westin Chaoyang and the St. Regis for less than Y1000. I'm not familiar with the Sheraton Dongcheng's rates because I would never stay there, but I'd have to assume that it is priced quite a bit below the Westin Chaoyang and St. Regis because N 3rd Ring is nowhere near as desirable as E, NE 3rd Ring.
Old May 24, 2015, 3:02 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Just had a great stay at the Sheraton Beijing Dongcheng hotel. In Chinese it's listed as 北京金隅喜来登酒店, and the location isn't too bad if you need to be in north CBD.

Property is very new, rooms have a huge soaking tub and the corner room I got had decent views. There are lots of middle-range food court options in the surrounding office buildings, and it's nearby a few metro and major bus stops. Airport to the hotel is ~60-70RMB including toll, or 50RMB using People's Uber.

The gym was quite good, and the lounge has nice views of the bird's nest stadium, and otherwise very bright and airy. Take breakfast on the 2nd floor though, it's huge and quite good compared to the lounge. Don't know why they bother with breakfast in the lounge when it is so poor in comparison.

Wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 10:47 am

Programs: AA-EXP SPG-Plat 100/LTG. HHonors-Gold
Any update on Westin Chaoyang vs. St. Regis for Oct. visit?

First time visit to Beijing, flying in to PEK, staying one night in Beijing, then 3 days in Shanghai, coming back for 3 days in Beijing. Would like to see Forbidden City, Great Wall, any other must see's recommended . Currently can get Westin for 1444/night or St. R for 1600/night, so think it would work out to slightly over $100 total for difference. For transport, convenience & enjoyment, which hotel would those in the know recommend ? Moondog, Stimpy I am looking at you...
Old Sep 13, 2015, 11:12 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Chapdaddy
First time visit to Beijing, flying in to PEK, staying one night in Beijing, then 3 days in Shanghai, coming back for 3 days in Beijing. Would like to see Forbidden City, Great Wall, any other must see's recommended . Currently can get Westin for 1444/night or St. R for 1600/night, so think it would work out to slightly over $100 total for difference. For transport, convenience & enjoyment, which hotel would those in the know recommend ? Moondog, Stimpy I am looking at you...
Hands down the STR, both for location and service.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 11:42 am

Programs: AA-EXP SPG-Plat 100/LTG. HHonors-Gold
Thanks.
So has the aforementioned Taxi shortage at St. Regis improved since last mention in thread?
Old Sep 13, 2015, 12:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
Sheraton Beijing Dongcheng

Originally Posted by transparent
Just had a great stay at the Sheraton Beijing Dongcheng hotel. the lounge has nice views of the bird's nest stadium, and otherwise very bright and airy. Take breakfast on the 2nd floor though, it's huge and quite good compared to the lounge.
Wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.
I agree with these comments. The Sheraton Beijing Dongcheng hotel is an excellent place to stay. The lounge has very tasty snacks at night with an array of hot items as well as a buffet of cold items. I really enjoyed the array of dumpling. The hot food is supplied by the three or four restaurants in the hotel to show off their food.

The breakfast on the second floor is fantastic with an array of chefs preparing food to order both western and Chinese. I was staying on my own meeting a friend for breakfast. I was told no charge for my friend as two breakfasts come with each room. Not sure if that is for everyone or for PLTs.

I found the location OK for getting to down town and to the north west corridor.

The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. Some spoke good English.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 6:09 pm

Sheraton Great Wall

I was shopping for an upcoming visit in November where the other hotels are averaging 1500 RMB or around there. The Great Wall Sheraton OTOH is running at 663 RMB. Huge price difference! Is there something "different" about this hotel that its half the price of its siblings?
Old Sep 28, 2015, 6:47 pm

I was shopping for an upcoming visit in November where the other hotels are averaging 1500 RMB or around there. The Great Wall Sheraton OTOH is running at 663 RMB. Huge price difference! Is there something "different" about this hotel that its half the price of its siblings?
Thy physical plant is seriously worn; in fact, I'm surprised that it has been demolished yet. But, many people (self included) are willing to overlook this shortcoming in light of the price differential.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 2:06 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
The rooms are ok, I have been upgraded to a Jnr Suite every time but the tvs are very old. Hallways are very tatty but the lounge is quite good. Im usually only staying for 1 or two nights and it is one of the closest to the airport. If you are plat breakfast is in the lounge but a couple of times I have booked a breakfast package that is a flexible rate and gives breakfast in the restaurant. As much as I wouldnt mind staying at some of the other properties my cheapness gets the better of me. I dont mind the Aloft either except its about a 75 min ride to the airport against 25min to great wall.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 4:11 am

Which Hotel is best with Gold Status?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.