Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

GONE 1/09: W Hotel Honolulu Diamond Head [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GONE 1/09: W Hotel Honolulu Diamond Head [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2006, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
Arrow GONE 1/09: W Hotel Honolulu Diamond Head [Master Thread]

I will be spending the 4th of July weekend at the W Honolulu. This location has no pool on site. Do guests at the W have access to othersStarwood properties pools ?
Also, any particular room I should ask for ?
Thanks in advance,
Old Jun 9, 2006, 2:01 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP, Fairmont FPC Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
As far as I know all *wood guests in Honolulu can visit other *wood properties, and most allow you to charge incidentals to your room folio even from other *wood properties.

Call to double check though.
Old Jun 9, 2006, 10:38 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
I believe it to be the case that you can stay at any SHERATON Hawaii Property in Waikiki and charge to another, but pool privleges are not included in this arrangement.

Most important to the OP's question, the W is not owned by the same company as the other Waikiki Starwood managed properties, so there is no agreement involving them, to the best of my knowledge.

As for rooms to ask for - they all face the same direction at the W. Not much difference in views, as the building is not very tall. You could ask for a suite, though. Not sure, but there's just one or two.

Aloha
Old Jun 9, 2006, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, RCC, PreChk , Hertz 5* Gold, HH Silver, SPG Gold thx to Amex Plat
Be aware that this hotel is not on the beach, so no ocean front rooms. There are buildings (Colony Surf, San Souci condos, and New Otani Hotel) between the W and the beach. However, there should be rooms with views of Diamond Head and Kapiolani Park.

The closest *wood hotel would be the Moana Surfrider and Princess Kiulani, about a 15 walk.
Old Jun 9, 2006, 3:27 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Something else to note: none of the HNL *woods have great pools. Moana's is the size of a large spa and the others don't look much better. Not a big deal to me, but wouldn't want you to think your going to get a lazy river and a waterslide...
Old Jun 9, 2006, 8:47 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP, Fairmont FPC Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ger3sf
Be aware that this hotel is not on the beach, so no ocean front rooms. There are buildings (Colony Surf, San Souci condos, and New Otani Hotel) between the W and the beach. However, there should be rooms with views of Diamond Head and Kapiolani Park.

The closest *wood hotel would be the Moana Surfrider and Princess Kiulani, about a 15 walk.
Its about 3 miles to the Surfrider.
Old Jun 10, 2006, 5:46 am

W

This hotel also has a loud nightclub - beware we were on the top floor 12th and we still could hear it all night long. Also vallet only parking.
Old Jun 14, 2006, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
More Questions....

I have a stay at W Honolulu coming up and was wondering...

1. Do platinum get breakfast? I remember reading somewhere here that Platinums get American breakfast while other guests get complimentary continental breakfast? True?

2. Is it really valet parking only? I thought this property was over a huge parking lot? I hate valet, is there anywhere else that I will be able to park? How much is parking?
Old Jun 14, 2006, 6:04 am

Hmmm

Originally Posted by Cascadia
Its about 3 miles to the Surfrider.
I think you may be a bit confused. I don't think the entire Waikiki strip is 3 miles (from the "W" to, say, the Hilton Hawaiian Village). If you're talking about from the "W" to the Sheraton Moana, I'd say it's more like 8-10 blocks, if that far. Just walk to the end of Kapiolani park, then another 3-4 blocks to the Moana Surfrider (where, incidentally, I'll be in 8 days!)
Old Jun 14, 2006, 8:43 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Delta PM MM, Airtain Elite, Hilton Diamond, Avis First, Hertz President's Circle
Don't fear the valet

Originally Posted by BlissWorld
I have a stay at W Honolulu coming up and was wondering...

1. Do platinum get breakfast? I remember reading somewhere here that Platinums get American breakfast while other guests get complimentary continental breakfast? True?

2. Is it really valet parking only? I thought this property was over a huge parking lot? I hate valet, is there anywhere else that I will be able to park? How much is parking?
No free breakfast. Never the case with Plats at W's (unless I've been missing the boat all these years).

Definitely not over a huge parking lot. There are maybe 20 parking spots in the whole hotel. The valets are also the concierges who are very helpful. This is a tiny, warm hotel staffed by people really interested in trying to help. It takes, on average about two minutes to get the car.

Can't remember how much parking was.
Old Jun 14, 2006, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR LT TIT
The last two times I stayed there, complimentary breakfast was offered in the restaurant. The spread was very simple, with a fruit platter and some baked goods, and very infrequently replenished. This was about one year ago, so things might have changed. Back then, valet parking was $15.00 per night. There are lots of street parking around the park right outside of the hotel. Some are metered during weekday and have I think a 4 hour time limit, but free overnight. We never had problem finding a space at night after people leave the park and beach.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 12:20 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Everyone gets a complimentary continental buffet, but it's not publicised at all - they think of it as an expanded "coffee service."

Usually your car is so close that you can just ask them for the key. I usually don't like valet, but it's really not a big deal at this property.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 5:19 am

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
I was shocked the first time I saw that the little box of a building in between others was the W. I saw the rooms at the W on Travel channel and thought they were just OK. No Hawaii look to them at all.
Old Jul 21, 2006, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Arrow W Hotel Honolulu Diamond Head, Hawaii - (Master Thread)

I went on a mini vacation to Honolulu in June. Before going, I had read countless numbers of negative reviews on the W Honolulu Diamond head both on FT and tripadvisor. Having stayed at Sheraton Moana Surfrider previously, I was more than sure that I wanted to be away from the busy Waikiki strip. Deciding to go against the flow, I booked 3 nights at W Honolulu Diamond Head. I was worried, really worried.

It turns out, W Honolulu has undoubtedly become one of my favorite Starwood properties in the world. My experience there, other than a little bump with the check in agent, is beyond wonderful.

So, instead of posting a review with 10 pages of wording, like other posters have done, without any evidence supporting their claims, I will turn my review short, brief, and let the pictures do all the talking.

A couple of days before arrival, I was informed that the hotel had upgraded me to an Ocean View room from Diamond Head view. That made me happy. Like I had requested, they gave me a corner room on the 8th floor with spectacular views:
Corner room with two balcony and doors/windows that open to sea breeze
Chair
Room/bed
Fantastic Diamond Head view from the left
Fabulous ocean view to the right
Best Lychee tini I have ever had, thoroughly enjoyed in my room, on the chair, with ocean breeze hitting my face

Next, I had a wonderful dinner at the Diamond Head Grill:
Small, but well equipped bar
Bread with roasted garlic in infused olive oil
Ahi tuna tar tar
Lychee sorbet to cleanse taste buds in between dishes
Rack of lamb
Assorted gelato with cookies and fruit

I savored every bite of my dinner.

Service: Fantastic. I called front desk to let house keeping know that I'd like not to be disturbed through out the 3 nights of my stay. They sent housing keeping to give me extra towels and toiletries. Other than the daily morning newspaper delievered to my front door, no one came knocking.

Valet: Guy took care of me. He gave me a couple of fabulous restaurant recommendations and everytime I walked to the front door, my car was ready and cooled in less than 2 minutes.

Other aspects: I loved the location. It was quiet and remote. I didn't have have to deal with Waikiki traffic of crowd. There was a small beach next to the hotel, but never used it. I went to Hanauma Bay and other more remote beaches on north side.

As for the little bump with check in agent, I addressed the issue with customer service and received an apologetic reponse along with an impressive goodwill offer (which I did not seek). Such gesture and customer service is what puts starwood on the very top of my list.
Old Jul 21, 2006, 2:50 pm

Programs: SPG-Gold, Amex-Plat., AA-Plat.
We walked over to the W from the RH. We were there a few weeks ago. Had a fantastic dinner at the Diamond Grill. (best meal of the trip)
My husband and I really liked the hotel (what we saw of it), and enjoyed
the peacefulness of the location. However with no pool it would not work
for us, traveling with our daughter. A pool on vacation is a must.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.