FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   Gritti Palace, Venice, Italy (Pre-2013 renovations) [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/580269-gritti-palace-venice-italy-pre-2013-renovations-master-thread.html)

jonhoram Dec 12, 2002 12:41 pm

Gritti Palace, Venice, Italy (Pre-2013 renovations) [Master Thread]

I'm trying to obtain the best possible rate at the Gritti Palace in Venice for my honeymoon, August 20-23. Using the SPG50 offer, I have a rate of $382/night. I know this is a good rate, but there is always better! Any suggestions on how to get a better rate or a free night or two?

PETEFLYS Dec 12, 2002 2:11 pm

Well I would be very happy that the spg50 award was avaliable during the summer.
I always like a better rate so let me know if you find it for this property.
I do think staying in Venice for under 500 per night is a steal and the Gritti Palace no less.
However in Venice I go for the Bauer Il Pallazzo I know it's not a SPG property but I would take a look at it,you will not be disapointed for a honeymoon stay.The rates are rather high.
Enjoy your trip..

manku Dec 12, 2002 2:41 pm

A couple thoughts:

1. Do not visit major cities in Europe in August. Not only hot, but many businesses shut down. Most good restaurants close for at least a couple weeks.

2. You want to be in a resort area, so I'd try the Excelsior instead. You'll be by the beach, have a pool etc...

3. I would go to the lake regions (como etc..), capri/amalfi or somewhere else at that time of year. If you can, postpone your honeymoon till mid-september. The tourist season will have abated, weather will be better and all the businesses will be open.

Good Luck.

Manku

jonhoram Dec 12, 2002 3:28 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by manku:
A couple thoughts:
</font>
Well, the wedding date and the honeymoon dates are non-negotiable, as she has to go back to school by Labor Day (no robbing the cradle jokes please). We are only spending 2-3 days in Venice - it is one of my favorite cities, and I couldn't imagine not doing a stop there on the H-moon. After Venice, we are going to Lake Como for 3 days, then to Portofino or some other Riviera locale for 5 days, and then to Monte Carlo for a day or two (mostly to eat). I know that Venice will be hot and mobbed, but hopefully the Gritti will make it worthwhile.

MisterAviator Dec 12, 2002 10:12 pm

Used an SPG-50 award last year at the Westin Europa & Regina in Venice. Its location is every bit as good as the Gritti Palace, and it's a much friendlier property. Stayed previously on an award stay at the Gritti and was given a horrible room that was badly in need of rennovation.

jonhoram Dec 13, 2002 10:49 am

I read back all the reviews on this board before making the reservation. Everyone seemed to think the Gritti was the best in Venice. Is that no longer the case?

slawecki Dec 13, 2002 12:14 pm

I'd do the Gritti at 50% off now, while it is available.
There will probably be a special come June or July that will be less than the 50% off rate. The E&R is $250 and the Danielli is $320 internet rates for Feb.

In August, I would heavily weight the quality of the A/C system in my choices. I recall seeing some complaints about Venice A/C in some of the hotel reviews.

schriste Dec 13, 2002 4:59 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by slawecki:
In August, I would heavily weight the quality of the A/C system in my choices. I recall seeing some complaints about Venice A/C in some of the hotel reviews.</font>
The Europa & Regina has the best AC by far.

ajnaro Dec 13, 2002 9:55 pm

I stayed at the Gritti on an award and was treated magnificently. The hotel itself is several centuries old, of course, but every room I saw was completely renovated and in absolutely perfect condition. The staff, even the manager, seemed very friendly and anxious to please. I received several amenities, including spumante and sweet biscuits, as well as other little things I can't remember.

aceflyer2 Dec 14, 2002 12:16 pm

I'm staying at the Gritti next week and will let you know its current status upon my return.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ajnaro:
I stayed at the Gritti on an award and was treated magnificently. The hotel itself is several centuries old, of course, but every room I saw was completely renovated and in absolutely perfect condition. The staff, even the manager, seemed very friendly and anxious to please. I received several amenities, including spumante and sweet biscuits, as well as other little things I can't remember. </font>

bruin Dec 14, 2002 1:35 pm

I would highly recommend staying at the Gritti. I stayed there on an award stay this past summer and was treated VERY well. As far as the air conditioning was concerned, it was more than adequate (in fact, it was really nice). Got upgraded to a junior suite as a platinum. The concierge at the Gritti was also amazing. Outstanding service. Can't really comment on the other Venice properties.

rocky Dec 21, 2002 6:08 pm

I had a wonderful time at the Gritti this summer. Great room, generous upgrade, nice amenities.

You can find pictures of my suite at http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group...ase.yahoo.com/

Now that I've got a digital camera, I've taken to photographing the rooms for the benefit of fellow FTers.

In addition to Gritti, you can find pix of the St. Regis NYC, Palace Madrid and Grand in Florence.

http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/rockysreviews/lst

iahphx Dec 21, 2002 8:10 pm

I stayed in the Gritti about 3 years ago on a *wood reward. I was a little disappointed -- perhaps because my expectations were so high. They gave us a fairly crummy room. It was nicely decorated, but small, and faced a wall a few feet from our window. We firmly asked if they had anything else, and they claimed not to. We were even willing to move the next day, but no luck.

I also did not think the public areas are particularly impressive. On the plus side, the staff were friendly and the location for sightseeing fantastic. If I were going in the summer, however, I might prefer (location wise) one of the *wood properties in Venice that had resort facilities.

In short, my opinion is that Gritti's reputation and history may be better than its reality. We'll probably try someplace else next time we go to Venice, especially if it is cheaper or fewer ff points. I've heard the other properties are BETTER than their reputations!

aceflyer2 Jan 7, 2003 4:53 pm

Gritti Palace report

Wanted to post some comments on my recent stay at the Gritti Palace...

The best way to describe this hotel is historical oppulence. This is a regal older property. We were given a large room with a balcony overlooking the square with a side view of the canal. The furnishings were top-notch, second to none. The bathroom was very large with 2 parts, which my wife appreciated very much. I must say the hotel was not "run down" as some have reported. Perhaps, it has been recently refurbished. The service at this hotel is best described as "aloof". The service was not bad, but I do think it could have been better.

I visited the Danelli and Europa & Regina to see the difference for myself, although I did not see a room. In all honesty, the Europa & Regina is not in the same league as either the Gritti or Danelli. It is a larger, more Americanized hotel and is not nearly as plush. (I had seriously considered staying here, but am very glad I didn't.) The lobby of the Danelli is SPECTACULAR!! But the location leaves something to be desired. It is in a very busy, bustling area, with lots of traffic. On the other hand, the Gritti is located in a rather quiet area, but very close to a water taxi stop. (Conde Nast's Gold List recently rated the Gritti several points higher than the Danelli - I believe this is accurate.)

jja34-1 Jan 8, 2003 4:43 am

Glad you enjoyed your trip. I have always enjoyed Venice in winter, when the throngs of summer tourists have gone home!

Having stayed at both the Danieli and the E&R, I have to disagree with your characterization of the E&R. It's rooms and public areas are every bit as plush (although slightly smaller) as those at the Danieli and those I have seen at the Gritti. I was pleasantly surprised this summer when I checked into the E&R for a one night stay and encountered the same level of service, furnishings, and ambience as I have come to expect at the Danieli. It is every bit an Italian luxury hotel, albeit with only a 4, rather than a 5L rating.