Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Gritti Palace, Venice, Italy (Pre-2013 renovations) [Master Thread]

Gritti Palace, Venice, Italy (Pre-2013 renovations) [Master Thread]

Old Jun 26, 2011, 8:28 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, Air France, Lufthansa, Continental Air
Was lucky enough to get to stay here for two nights. Was upgraded from standard room to suite 406, overlooking the side canal. It was quiet and comfortable, the best sleep off my three week holiday. Because it's part of the SPG Luxury Collection and in expensive Venice, I expected the staff to be uppity...this couldn't have been further from the truth. Ms. Diana and Pierluigi were so warm and welcoming, the bellman, concierge, and restaurant staff could not have been kinder. Ever time I returned from exploring, I felt like I was coming home. When I left, I actually shed a tear. It was truly a beautiful stay.

The breakfast was way too pricey. As SPG Platinum I usually get free or reduced breakfast. 99 Euro for two adults and 1 child was far, far too much.

And free wifi in the room really is a must. It was nice to have it in the lobby, but I'd prefer to make travel arrangements and deal with business in my pajamas in the room!
Old Jun 27, 2011, 8:38 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by famtravlworld
Was lucky enough to get to stay here for two nights. Was upgraded from standard room to suite 406, overlooking the side canal. It was quiet and comfortable, the best sleep off my three week holiday. Because it's part of the SPG Luxury Collection and in expensive Venice, I expected the staff to be uppity...this couldn't have been further from the truth. Ms. Diana and Pierluigi were so warm and welcoming, the bellman, concierge, and restaurant staff could not have been kinder. Ever time I returned from exploring, I felt like I was coming home. When I left, I actually shed a tear. It was truly a beautiful stay.

The breakfast was way too pricey. As SPG Platinum I usually get free or reduced breakfast. 99 Euro for two adults and 1 child was far, far too much.

And free wifi in the room really is a must. It was nice to have it in the lobby, but I'd prefer to make travel arrangements and deal with business in my pajamas in the room!

Sounds like a nice upgrade...
Just out of curiosity, what hotels do you frequent that tend to give Plats free or reduced breakfast... I haven't encountered this at any of the hotels I've stayed at, unless they had an exec lounge. Pricey breakfasts in Europe are the norm; we picked the Westin in Venice because they had a feature where you could pay for breakfast with points; I think 1500 per breakfast (which I understand has gone up).... I think list price was 40 euros/person...

FDW
Old Jun 27, 2011, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by famtravlworld

Great upgrade! We booked a Specialty Select room with points, and our only request was a possible balcony (I know there are very few) or a view. We were upgraded to a suite, but it had an awful view (and no balcony) and we really did not need the suite. For one night it was fine, but we would have much preferred a smaller room with a view and we requested such at checkin but they had none for us.

Robin
Old Sep 2, 2011, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium
Platinum here--Looking at 3 nights paid stay in first week October at Gritti, Danieli, or Westin..any recent stays and feedback on upgrades or rooms appreciated..
Old Sep 2, 2011, 4:20 pm
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by vg247
Platinum here--Looking at 3 nights paid stay in first week October at Gritti, Danieli, or Westin..any recent stays and feedback on upgrades or rooms appreciated..
June isn't recent to you?
Old Sep 3, 2011, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by sk3
June isn't recent to you?
LOL SK3, I was hoping to get some input for Aug/Sept since their high and low seasons changed which may have changed how they treat us tourists and the rooms..thanks boss!@:-)
Old Sep 3, 2011, 2:23 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by vg247
LOL SK3, I was hoping to get some input for Aug/Sept since their high and low seasons changed which may have changed how they treat us tourists and the rooms..thanks boss!@:-)
I went there in November of 2010 and was upgraded to a Grand Canal Suite which was the biggest suite they got in the hotel, they only have 3 of those (upgraded from a standard room booked under the z3r rate which is buy 2 and get 1 free).
Old Sep 4, 2011, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
I went there in November of 2010 and was upgraded to a Grand Canal Suite which was the biggest suite they got in the hotel, they only have 3 of those (upgraded from a standard room booked under the z3r rate which is buy 2 and get 1 free).
Thanks Love for the info =)
Old Feb 4, 2012, 4:22 am

Programs: EX˛-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
http://thegrittipalacerestoration.com/
Old Feb 4, 2013, 1:20 am

Programs: EX˛-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
It seems to be open now:

REOPENING 1st FEBRUARY 2013

http://www.thegrittipalace.com/

http://thegrittipalacerestoration.com/

THE GRITTI PALACE IS OPEN
Old Feb 4, 2013, 3:01 am
Used to be RichardKopf

Programs: SPG LTP/IHG Pl/Hilton D/Shang-Taj D/VA Plat/QFClub/Hertz Pres/Avis Pres
It is, indeed, open. Looks like some suites are not ready yet, and the top one will be over EUR10000 a night.

Cat7, so 30000 a night, which isn't great value, as the deluxe rooms have a BAR of EUR330, next month.

After the 'Ripley' Suite at the Europa, last Christmas, I was hoping to try a suite here next year, but maybe it'll have to wait until the pricing settles, or accept a small room.

Eagerly awaiting reviews!
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Wonderful hotel, glad to see it refurbished and reopening!
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:23 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I can't wait to go back!
Old Feb 4, 2013, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
This is a great hotel, will be good to have it back in the mix.

Originally Posted by RichardKopf
Cat7, so 30000 a night, which isn't great value, as the deluxe rooms have a BAR of EUR330, next month.
!
I used to see summer rates of $800/nt for a standard room, at that price a little better value.

It will be an even better deal if C&P inventory reappears as promised.

I will never spend $800nt to stay anywhere, but I'd gladly spend $200-300 + points for this gem.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Years ago, I stayed at this hotel for a modest number of SPG points. Those were the days! I do remember getting a crummy, small, no-view room, though.

A no-brainer to stay elsewhere these days, though, unless you somehow have a free night without having to redeem points. I think I'm going to try the Hilton this summer. I'm sure it's nowhere near as nice and historic, but it's a lot better value. And as a mere HHonors Gold, they'll probably give me breakfast and let me use their lounge.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.