Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

FAQ: How do I book an award for someone else when I won't be present?

FAQ: How do I book an award for someone else when I won't be present?

Old Aug 16, 2007, 8:37 am

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
Originally Posted by From NYC
Don’t know if you’re still reading this thread since you’ve already made the reservation, but I also send an email to the hotel to be sure they themselves know it, rather than just via the reservation form.
Do you usually get any email response back? I have tried emailing the generic [email protected] (got from the website's contact me page), but I never hear anything from them. And I always wonder if those email will get re-directed to the front desk.
Old Aug 18, 2007, 1:20 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold, Flying Blue Platinum
Everything seems to be nicely sorted out, but my experience is a phone call to the GM after booking for other people usually secure an upgrade. Of course, I am talking about Europe, the land of plenty

Best,
E
Old Aug 28, 2007, 5:38 am

Programs: FPC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, PC Plt Amb
I wanted to book an award stay in Rome (the St Regis) for my wife. After reading this thread, I decided to call SPG and talk to a live person (BTW, the telephone folks are so very courteous and professional the last four or five times I called. Marvelous). Told her my problem, and she said, "oh, no problem at all!."
Got the award stay set up. My wife's name (she uses her maiden name) is on the reservation -- not as a comment or special request, but the room is reserved with her name on it. Points taken off. No sweat. Received email confirmation with all this info.

So my suggestion is simply to call them. ^
Old Aug 28, 2007, 3:48 pm

Programs: spg, co
you can do it

yes, i've done it countless times too, on points or for cash. just add them to the reservation. chances of upgrades for elite status are less likely if the elite member isn't actually there.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 5:44 am
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Booking award for another party

Is it possible to book an award for another party if you are not staying at the hotel? I have got conflicting answers.

TIA
Old Oct 23, 2007, 6:22 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by ingy
Is it possible to book an award for another party if you are not staying at the hotel? I have got conflicting answers.

TIA
Yes!
Old Oct 23, 2007, 9:34 am

Programs: CO Plat, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Diamond, CO Pres. Plus, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by ingy

TIA
And another yes from someone who just did it again this past September. You do it on the phone with SPG, and make sure you tell them that you will not be the guest staying. You do, of course, have to give them the name of the other person. As a backup just because I wanted to be sure there were no mixups, once I had a confirmation number I emailed the hotel directly to be sure that the other person’s name was in their system. They may also keep yours there as well.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, United Platinum, SPG Platinum, HHonors Gold
Award Bookings for Other People

I recently made some award bookings for some friends who are going to be travelling without me and can put some of my points to good use, but I was wondering what the common experience has been in terms of administering Platinum benefits if I am not present, though I am the one whose name the room reservation is under. For example, in hotels that provide breakfast, will this be provided in my absence? Or, dare I ask, upgrades and late checkout?

Not being greedy, just wondering so I can let my friends know what to expect. I did try searching, but the search engine got bogged down when I tried to use more than three words.

Thanks for your wisdom.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 5:58 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by JS0720
I recently made some award bookings for some friends who are going to be travelling without me and can put some of my points to good use, but I was wondering what the common experience has been in terms of administering Platinum benefits if I am not present, though I am the one whose name the room reservation is under. For example, in hotels that provide breakfast, will this be provided in my absence? Or, dare I ask, upgrades and late checkout?

Not being greedy, just wondering so I can let my friends know what to expect. I did try searching, but the search engine got bogged down when I tried to use more than three words.

Thanks for your wisdom.
Officially, I would not get their hopes up. Benefits are the member, so if the member isn't there...

That being said, others will tell tales of glorious upgrades for friends, family, and mere acquaintances as well as incidental credits and welcome amenities being credited to their SPG account, so the best answer is probably YMMV.

Hmmm. I wonder what a search for "YMMV" would bring up.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Jan 29, 2008, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, DL Gold, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
Why chance it?

I booked an award stay for my mother today - she wanted to see Joy Behar in Atlantic City, but decided not to because room rates were so high. I called, regular room 7000, for 8000 guaranteed club level, for 8500 studio suite. I asked if studio suite got them club access, PC said no, not per the description, but she called the hotel, made arrangements (no problem!), noted it in the reservation. Seemed well worth the extra few points (plus the excellent help of PC once again!) when gifting a nice stay to friends/relatives.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 11:27 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat, UA 2P, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
YM definitely MV. I've had great luck getting upgrades for my friends' stays on my points, though they are never confirmed in advance. I often give stays at nice hotels for wedding/special occasion gifts, and send a note to the hotel noting such. As a result, my friends seem to have better luck getting upgrades than I do on my points, including suites at the Westin Rome, Princeville, and W LA.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 8:04 pm

Booking an award room for someone else.

I would like to book an award room for my parents. How can I reserve a room in their name? I saw an answer in this forum before, however cannot find it.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Dec 23, 2008 at 8:36 pm Reason: Merged without edit into newly created FAQ
Old Dec 23, 2008, 8:34 pm

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
I would like to book an award room for my parents. How can I reserve a room in their name? I saw an answer in this forum before, however cannot find it.
Hi TAHKUCT,

You might like to give your nearest Customer Contact Center or Platinum Concierge a call if you would like to issue an award in another's name.

However, do note that once the award is issued, it is not transferable.

[email protected]
Old Dec 23, 2008, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker II
Hi TAHKUCT,

You might like to give your nearest Customer Contact Center or Platinum Concierge a call if you would like to issue an award in another's name.

However, do note that once the award is issued, it is not transferable.

[email protected]
Thanks.

Just called and reserved a room for him using cash and points. When I went to retrieve his reservations here is what it shows, even though only one room was booked:

1 Room, 2 Adults per room, 1 King, Non-smoking room,
Room 1: TAHKUCT
Room 2: FATHER TAHKUCT

Is that what it suppose to show in the system?
Old Jan 8, 2009, 11:46 pm

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
Thanks.

Just called and reserved a room for him using cash and points. When I went to retrieve his reservations here is what it shows, even though only one room was booked:

1 Room, 2 Adults per room, 1 King, Non-smoking room,
Room 1: TAHKUCT
Room 2: FATHER TAHKUCT

Is that what it suppose to show in the system?
My apologies for not responding to this earlier. This would inform the property that "Father Tahkuct" will be staying in the room as well even though it is exactly what I would expect the reservation to be.

[email protected]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.