Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 25, 2019, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2006, 2:46 pm
Suspended

Arrow Westin Puerto Vallarta [Master Thread]

Suggestions? Reviews? I am a Plat and am going there Thanksgiving.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA Gold MM, DL Gold, US MM, HH Gold, Starwood
The pool is great, the food is overpriced, the hotel is fabulous otherwise.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 3:27 pm

The hotel is in the Marina area so the beach (if you can call it that) isn't great. However, the Westin rooms and facilities make up for the shortcoming. I have been to other resorts and resort towns in Mexico but PV and this hotel rates near the top. We were SPG Gold at the time and upgraded to a nice ocean view room near the top floor (not a suite). Loved the room, liked the pool but the food at the hotel restaurants was only average for Mexico. PV and the Westin PV both have a unique Mexican charm that seemed more authentic and had much less hustle which was good for relaxing (if that is what you are looking for). I say LESS because you will be pitched timeshare - surprise, surprise.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 4:28 pm

Programs: SPG & CO Plat.
Ask for a room with a jet-tub on the balcony. ^

Watch out for the bats that fly (or at least flew when I visited years back) down the open-air corridors.

I very much enjoyed my stay. We asked conceirge for recommendations and he did pretty good. The only so-so off-hotel meal was when we requested the best place in town and we got an over-priced place with the same food as the bargain places.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
just got back from there -- there is a trip report in the "Trip Reports forum" -- but this was a manacation....

Beach SUCKS....Water is warm--- but green

Nikki Beach -- OVERRATED

Hotel Pool -- AWESOME.....

FOOD -- Typical WESTIN -- GOOD

Room -- AWESOME...

Eat at La Jolla de Mismalloya .. freshly cooked seafood at the beach ...you will not regret this...ask one of the guys at the beach at Westin....
Old Nov 8, 2006, 12:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, NYC MTA Gold, AA EXP
[QUOTE=anaggie]just got back from there -- there is a trip report in the "Trip Reports forum" -- but this was a manacation....

Nikki Beach -- OVERRATED

Hotel Pool -- AWESOME.....

QUOTE]

I completely disagree---hated the pool area, and loved the Nikki beach. The pool area was full of little kids screaming and "time share" people on the other hand, Nikki beach were more chic/sophiscated and they were serving sushi/rolls.

As a Plat--did get upgraded to a Jacuzzi balcony room.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 6:24 am

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
As is ALWAYS the case, if you are planning a vacation here when schools in the US are on vacation (or during the summertime), you can expect scads of kids all over the place. (Same holds true for most resorts or any cruiseship.)

Conversely, if you're here outside of those timeframes, it is a far more tranquil place.

I will add that the Sheraton is closer to downtown and has undergone a significant (and necessary due to crushing hurricane damage) renovation that left the property closed for a year. Some still far prefer the Westin in the marina, but most would agree that the beach at the Westin is not ideal.

And, FWIW, it is PUERTO Vallarta.

Regardless of where you stay, enjoy your time in this great city.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 11:13 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
I went end of Sept ...pool was empty...Nikkie beach was DEAD !!!!

More activity at the pool than anything else...
Old Nov 8, 2006, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA Plt SPG Plt
As a Plat you will get access to the Royal Beach Club (lounge). Free breakfast in the morning and hors d'oeuvres/beer/wine in the afternoon!
Old Nov 8, 2006, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA Gold MM, DL Gold, US MM, HH Gold, Starwood
Originally Posted by anaggie

Nikki Beach -- OVERRATED
Cannot be more OVERRATED

Cheers
Old Jan 2, 2007, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just came back from a stay over New Years', a few observations:

1) This hotel is FAR from downtown. It usually took us about 20 minutes, sometimes as long as 30 with traffic, to get to the old town. The taxis were 70 or 80 pesos depending on where in town you go, more expensive than what I recall reading. Making matters worse was the difficulty in getting a taxi in the evenings at the hotel to get into town. One would show up every 5 minutes or so and there was always a line. This added a 20-30 minute wait, on average, to the trip. Not sure I would recommend this hotel if you want to spend much time in town for dinner/nightlife.

2) Booked using points (+ 5th night free), so great value for a period when they wanted $500/night. Booked a deluxe king, and was upgraded to a grand deluxe with two doubles. The grand deluxe has a jaccuzzi on the balcony. We really wanted a king, so were "forced" into upgrading to a junior suite (I think it's the Honeymoon suite), for 7k points/night or US$185/nt extra. (I used a combo). Room was pretty nice - spacious, nice bathroom and the jaccuzzi on the balcony was cool (used it once). Unfortunately it was right across from Nikki Beach, which meant thumping music until 2am. Really, really annoying, and almost unforgivable for a family resort.

3) We seemed to get fresh bottled water only every other day. Not sure what the deal was.

4) After doing some post-research, it seems that we should have had club access with this paid upgrade, but we were not informed of this. I'm really annoyed about this right now and will write in to the property and corporate to complain. I'll probably ask for them to remove my paid breakfast and minibar (soft drink) charges and/or knock off one night of the paid upgrades.

5) Beach wasn't that bad. I like the beach in town better -- bigger waves and more fun.

6) The saving chairs thing is ridiculous, especially when people don't even put any personal items on the chairs. At least once, I just threw the towels to the side and claimed the seats as my own...

7) Hotel food was decent. Not cheap, but not vastly overpriced. Although I would say that Nikki Beach is almost a better lunch option than the pool bars, I think some of the comparable menu items were actually cheaper at Nikki.

8) Service overall was very good; staff was friendly and competent.

Overall, not sure I would rush back here, primarily because of the inconvenience in getting to town. But I don't know if there are even any decent properties in (or closer to) town on the beach, so that may preclude a return visit to PV altogether, which is too bad.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 1:44 pm

Debating btwn Westin PV and El Careyes

I'm debating how to use my 50% off points redemption - with 7 nights at the Westin PV or with 5 at El Careyes (I would limit the length of my stay to fund the car rental I'd need for El Careyes).

Any thoughts on the pros/cons of one vs. the other? Now that I see the Westin PV is pretty far from town I'm feeling a little hesitant to do that instead of El Careyes.

I'm really looking for some low-key pool time; my husband can do a few hours a day but is much more interested in tooling around exploring (either by foot or car). I was a little concerned that we'd get bored at El Careyes which is another reason we are just looking to be there for 5 days max.

I've also considered doing 2-3 nights at Westin PV and 4 at El Careyes, but that limits the value which comes with the 50% off points redemption, as it would cost up to 41,000 points instead of about 25,000. And I'd still have to fund a car rental.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 2:33 pm

El Careyes vs Westin Puerto Vallarta

I would be cautious in booking yourself into the El Careyes since it is scheduled to depart the Starwood family on March 31, 2007. I have a points reservation booked for April for me and the Mrs and I am just waiting for the cancellation notice in my e-mail. I talked to Plat CSR and they contacted the property directly and indicated that they will be canceling all awards after the separation on 3/31/2007. Property is top notch but you have to wonder their treatment of Plat and Gold given the circumstances.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 2:53 pm

Had heard about them leaving Starwood but we'd be booking for late Jan or early February, and assumed that service would be up to snuff until then.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 3:26 pm

I would also add that the Westin PVR is in a great location. It is only minutes from the airport and there are resonable cab rides to anywhere in PVR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.