Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 25, 2019, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2014, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by tangey
Just emailed a different contact today, a month after my previous contact above, and 3 weeks before stay commences. options this time are:-

RBC upgrade 4.4K a night extra
Grand deluxe + RBC 7.2K a night extra
Junior suite +RBC 13.8 K a night extra.

I don't know if they have some formula for these or what.
When I was there this summer, RBC access (not necessarily including an upgrade to a room on the Club floors) was selling for $40/day.
Since the standard rooms and RBC rooms are identical, other than the higher floors, I'd opt to save the 4400 points and pay $40/day instead. Assuming that remains an option, that is.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Carlson/HHonors GLD, National Ex, Hertz Gld, AMEX Plat
Any SPG PLT members have recent experience with upgrades at this property? I'm currently holding a AAA rate for 2 nights at about $250/night and award nights for the same 2 nights (Jan 3-5). I'll be platinum again by this stay. I'm wondering if I should keep the cash nights hoping for an upgrade that makes it worth it, or just use the points (I expect there's less of a chance of an upgrade when using points)? I'd have club access either way.

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 6, 2014, 4:19 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by CruisingAltitude47
Any SPG PLT members have recent experience with upgrades at this property? I'm currently holding a AAA rate for 2 nights at about $250/night and award nights for the same 2 nights (Jan 3-5). I'll be platinum again by this stay. I'm wondering if I should keep the cash nights hoping for an upgrade that makes it worth it, or just use the points (I expect there's less of a chance of an upgrade when using points)? I'd have club access either way.

Thanks in advance!
Twice been there, twice been upgraded. Both were to a Grand Suite, but on the 2nd I asked to be downgraded to a Junior Suite (Which they call the Honeymoon Suite).
Old Nov 13, 2014, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Plat, Star G, HH Diamond, Hertz 5*
Interesting logic

We are staying over NYE. I originally booked with points 7000 per nt but emailed and asked about paying for an upgrade or using more pts. The price was $75/ nt for Jr Suite and $300/nt for Grande OR I could use points at something around 42K/nt for Grande and 30k/nt for Jr. The other interesting data point is I needed to add a night at the beginning of my stay and they offered me a reg room for around $300 or 30k pts per night. Very confused by their logic.

Oh, they also told me as a Plat only the member gets the Royal Beach Club benefit. Since I know that's not the case I figured I would fight that battle when we get there
Old Nov 13, 2014, 2:45 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by SFOisHome

Oh, they also told me as a Plat only the member gets the Royal Beach Club benefit. Since I know that's not the case I figured I would fight that battle when we get there
You'll have no issues with this. I've stayed here many many times and the RBC is great. They stick to standard Starwood policy -- 2 adults admitted per room. I think they turn their heads if you have kids and allow them, as well.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 11:37 pm

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, Marriott BonVoy Titanium
Beware of the ATM machine at the Oxxo across the hotel. I withdrew cash there and a few days later I had several fraudulent cash withdrawals on my account. They came from another part of Mexico, even though I was back in the US and had my ATM card with me.

I assume there was a skimming device installed on the ATM. Never thought I'd fall victim to ATM skimming, I had been doing ATM withdrawals in Mexico for years.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 1:23 am

ATM at the airport?

Do we need to get pesos prior to arrival? Is there a bank where we can pull money out at the airport to pay for a taxi? We leave for Puerto Vallarta soon!
Old Dec 13, 2014, 7:05 am

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by spellbound2
Do we need to get pesos prior to arrival? Is there a bank where we can pull money out at the airport to pay for a taxi? We leave for Puerto Vallarta soon!
Relax. Remember that 99% of gringos arrive with wallets full of USDs and only use their credit cards while in town. Plus, cabs take $$$s.

But, the dollar is really high against the Peso right now, so anyone with some brain cells knows it's important to get some pesos shortly after arrival. My plan is to always hit the ATM machines at the airport as soon as I arrive.

Here's where they are: once you've cleared immigration/customs, you dump out at the airport exit where all the taxi drivers are. Don't walk out of the airport, but instead make your way back towards the airline check-in desks (this is only a 90 second walk). Half way between the exit and the check-in desks, you'll find a set of 3 or 4 ATM machines. This is where I ALWAYS get my Pesos at PVR.

Safe travels and have a blast!
Old Dec 14, 2014, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by sbtinme
Relax. Remember that 99% of gringos arrive with wallets full of USDs and only use their credit cards while in town. Plus, cabs take $$$s.

But, the dollar is really high against the Peso right now, so anyone with some brain cells knows it's important to get some pesos shortly after arrival. My plan is to always hit the ATM machines at the airport as soon as I arrive.

Here's where they are: once you've cleared immigration/customs, you dump out at the airport exit where all the taxi drivers are. Don't walk out of the airport, but instead make your way back towards the airline check-in desks (this is only a 90 second walk). Half way between the exit and the check-in desks, you'll find a set of 3 or 4 ATM machines. This is where I ALWAYS get my Pesos at PVR.

Safe travels and have a blast!
Gracias sbtinme!! We're planning to do the Outdoor Adventure tour with Vallarta Adventures- have you gone with them before? Really excited to see PV!
Old Dec 14, 2014, 3:44 pm

Gracias sbtinme!! We're planning to do the Outdoor Adventure tour with Vallarta Adventures- have you gone with them before? Really excited to see PV!
I haven't done that particular excursion, but I've done numerous other activities with Vallarta Adventures over the years and I can tell you that they are the best in town. Their reputation is excellent and well deserved. Relax, don't overthink things, be sure to plan a few nice, special dinners in the town (15 minute cab/20 min bus ride) while you're there. So many wonderful things to do in PV!
Old Dec 16, 2014, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Hi Everyone, for those that emailed the property asking about upgrades, who did you contact? I have a stay coming up and would like to inquire for an upgrade as well. Thanks!
Old Dec 17, 2014, 4:40 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by Juggy007
Hi Everyone, for those that emailed the property asking about upgrades, who did you contact? I have a stay coming up and would like to inquire for an upgrade as well. Thanks!
I'll have to look that up for you.

I ended up paying for an upgrade from the basic room to the grand deluxe + club access @ 7K a night, and prior to traveling SPG.com showed I was upgrade to a junior suite room
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:14 pm

Platinum amenities

Hi all,

What do they offer if you're Platinum here? I know Christmas is full so upgrades likely won't happen, but are there any other things that are available?

Thanks!
Old Dec 18, 2014, 10:44 am

Hi all,

What do they offer if you're Platinum here? I know Christmas is full so upgrades likely won't happen, but are there any other things that are available?

Thanks!
The biggie is RBC access for 2 people -- this is an excellent lounge with complimentary drinks/cocktails/wine/beer in the evenings with hot apps. Excellent service. It's a big perk, in my book.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Plat, Star G, HH Diamond, Hertz 5*
Don't go unless you have kids

Just returned from a 5 night stay with another Plat couple, needless to say we will never be back, unless we come with multiple children. There was nothing peaceful or relaxing about our stay as their wasn't an adults only pool and kids in only nappies swam freely. Older children played ball in the pools, actually hitting us numerous times, and no one cared. I'm all for children, but this was the absolute extreme.

Pool area completely over crowded and had a bad Club Med vibe with constant loud speaker yelling and rounding up kids for games. Yes, at what was suppose to be the adult pool. The beach was too packed for the number of guests, you can rent a cabana for $70 but the sell out fast. Pool was loud and complete chaos.

RBC was great for Happy Hour could def be dinner for lighter/non picky eaters. My husband and I were very content. Not sure about breakfast as the plat amenity allowed us to eat in the restaurant which was nice.

The prices are very reasonable, coming from SF and staying at other large resorts, however, yes the are higher than local Mex establishments.

Rooms are older and in desperate need of updated, to the point a chunk of ceiling fell off in our friends room. Half the lights in ours didn't work. The private hot tub is fantastic and we used with cold water as a pool to avoid the over crowded and very loud pool.

We went to the NYE celebration for $100, not worth it at all!! Food was not editable and show completely geared towards children, would have been great to know before we bought 4 tickets.

We ate at Arrifices which was actually very good and priced very well. Wine list not so much, but that wasn't shocking.

Staff was friendly and tried to be helpful, but you could tell only the GM had any level of authority. We went to make a comment about the raucous behavior of the children, everywhere, I actually got pushed down by kids playing tag in the lobby while making the compliant. The assured me our stay would be much more peaceful going forward, blah,blah, never happened.

All in all, take your large family, but avoid if you want to relax.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.