Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Four Points Chelsea New York City [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2004, 1:23 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, United Premier Executive
After lurking for awhile, thought I would give an update on this place.

I think the hotel is a real find, but not for everyone. Someone else called it a stripped-down W, and I agree. The rooms were small, but actually pretty efficient and stylish. I was by myself and thought is was perfect, but more than 2 people (who like each other) would definitely find it cramped. The bathroom was small with little counterspace, but the shower was a nice size. I found the staff very helpful, they immediately recognized my Gold status, have me a room on a Starwood members floor, and were happy to let me stay until 4 (the best benefit of a gold). I had a "3 for 2" deal and there were no problems with my bill.

The location is in a fine neighborhood, but on a street with lots of warehouses and offices but little else. It's very close to 7th Avenue, but the location could be intimidating to people who are not "urban people," since the location is not like those of Starwood hotels in the rest of NYC. For the price, it's a great find and perfect for people on business (or pleasure) who don't want to be stuck in Midtown.
Old Jun 28, 2004, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
I must take issue with the people who think that $169/night is an "amazing" deal for NYC.

You need to do some shopping around. There are lots of deals out there as good or better.

A couple of months ago, I stayed at the Hampton Inn Chelsea, a competitor of the Four Points; same neighborhood, similar facilities. I paid an AAA rate (non-prepaid) of about $148 (+ tax).

At the beginning of June, I had one Saturday night at the Sheraton Russell for $179/night; that was followed by a Sunday at the Westin for $100/night (special Times Square 100th anniversary promo rate). Both these hotels are of higher caliber than the Four Points, and they are both in midtown.

Coming up in July, I managed to snag one of Starwood's 3-for-2 deals on a weekend, again at the Russell. This three-night weekend stay will cost me only $126 per night. (The rate would have been $189/night, but the third night is free.) Even if I had not gotten that promo, though, there was a 21-day advance purchase AAA rate of $169 available. Similar deals (the 3-for-2, or a $169 rate) are also available at the Westin.

The point is, do some comparison shopping before you assume that the Four Points Chelsea is the best deal going.
Old Jun 28, 2004, 7:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
I must take issue with the people who think that $169/night is an "amazing" deal for NYC.

You need to do some shopping around. There are lots of deals out there as good or better.

A couple of months ago, I stayed at the Hampton Inn Chelsea, a competitor of the Four Points; same neighborhood, similar facilities. I paid an AAA rate (non-prepaid) of about $148 (+ tax).
How was your stay at the Four Points Chelsea? What did you pay when you stayed there?
Old Sep 6, 2004, 11:59 pm

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
This is now coming back as a Category 3 hotel for award stays. Dunno if that changes people's perspectives on the overall status of the property.

I have a one night award stay booked for later this month -- I'm flying up for a party at Madison Square Garden, then staying overnight and flying out after lunch the next day. I'm no longer status with SPG, but I had a bunch of points and was more interested in the free night than paying for a room (nothing decent was coming up for <$150 from anyone, and SPG hotels were $250 or more). I could switch to one of the other hotels for 3K more points, but I've stayed at Essex House and picked the Four Points Chelsea because it was convenient to MSG and 3K points less.

Any new comments on the hotel?
Old Sep 7, 2004, 9:11 am

As I've mentioned in other posts - I like the 4 Points Chelsea -however- I think it's a tad over priced and at times the rates jump well beyond the W or Westin times square which is ridiculous. Paying anything more than $200 dollars for a room at this property is high (even at the RNC last week I paid less than 180 for a decent view of the city)

As for a points stay – I would argue that this is the nicest CAT 3 in Manhattan. The hotel is new, has charm and is in a fantastic neighborhood unlike both the Sheratons near Times Square. If one is a plat you may get lucky and be upgraded to one of the Chelsea’s two suites – a fantastic view and I love the plasma TV.

As for CAT 3’s in generally I would argue that the flagship W on Lexington should be downgraded to a CAT 3 – I know it will never happen but the more I stay at the Lexington W - the more I see it resembling a Sheraton with dimmer lighting

Last edited by xmradioguy; Sep 7, 2004 at 12:42 pm
Old Sep 7, 2004, 12:32 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, United Premier Executive
I agree with XM. I've stayed at the FP-Chelsea a few times and always had a good experience. It's a pleasant change from being in Times Square and the hotel has its charms, in a minimalist, stripped-down W kinda way.

I had an unfortunate experience where there was some confusion over my reservation and they responded more than adequately, including a follow-up phone call from the new general manager a couple of days later apologizing again and explaining what they planned to do to avoid problems in the future.

Last edited by DCGuy; Sep 7, 2004 at 1:26 pm
Old Sep 7, 2004, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is pure speculation but it sounds like on brand new properties, Starwood might be generous on their Category rating when a new hotel first opens (having no real history yet to base anything on), and then reviews actual average rate-per-night performance at the 6 month mark and adjusts accordingly. Rather than waiting for the annual re-evaluation that takes place on continuing properties.

(FYI for some, the Starwood category ratings are related to the average rate-per-night that the property achieves. They are not related directly to any quality rating standard like Mobil or AAA ratings.)

Last edited by PremEx; Sep 7, 2004 at 1:25 pm
Old Sep 8, 2004, 10:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
I just stayed here over the Labour Day weekend on points. I was debating whether I should stay at the Sheraton Russell or this place and ended up reserving both. But after the first night here, I cancelled the Sheraton Russell because I didn't want to pack and move and I was happy with the location.

It is tugged away on a street with parkades and industrial buildings. You would miss it if you drove down 7 Ave as it is not visible from 7 Ave. I quite like the location as it is on 25 St and only 2 blocks from 23 St which is a busy street with a subway station. And it is 7 walkable blocks to Penn Station. Soho and Greenwich Village is to the south. Now you definitely won't mistake this location for some trendy posh upscale neighborhood.

The room is a bit small but the shower (no tub) is pretty big and I got a room on the 18 floor facing the Empire State Building. The view was spectacular at night. I find 2 adults would be okay but 3 would be too many. The lighting is a bit on the dark side. No problem with noise either from the street or ice machine. The street down below has very little traffic at night. The bed was very comfortable like a Heavenly Bed. No acknowledgement of status. The staff who provided the best service was actually the trainee. She was great but the front desk manager wasn't. I enjoy walking so I walked everywhere and all the way down to East Village and Soho which took 60 mins from the hotel. If you are too tired to walk subway cost $2 or a unlimited fun pass cost $7 a day.

If the hotel rate is $150 USD I think it is worth it but not more than that. You won't get the attention to details like you would from say a Sheraton Russell. But I only came back to sleep so that wasn't as important to me this time.
Old Sep 24, 2004, 10:44 pm

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
Wanted to add that I did stay here on points for a night and liked it. Room was a little dark, as commented before, and missing a light near the mirror (kinda hard to see and get dressed in the evening with no sunlight; room was on the 5th floor). Everything was adequate and there was a special Gold/Platinum check-in line, though I never saw anyone waiting for staff. Staff was very nice and helpful, and pro-active to see if there were any issues that needed to be addressed.

Was there one night and walked over to Madison Square Garden for a party, and everything was quite nice and convenient. For my money, it was a great and convenient location for 7K points instead of having a $220+ bill for a night. I liked being in the Chelsea area for a change; last time I stayed at Essex House on Central Park South.
Old Oct 25, 2004, 8:10 pm

Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton
Any update on this hotel?

For November 12-14, this is the cheapest hotel I can find on starwood (@209 on my corporate rate). Everything else is 269 and above. I can't believe I might be paying over 200 on a 4-points.
Old Oct 25, 2004, 8:28 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
Wow, I want your corporate rate.....in this instance, it's almost as good as the government rate. Is that typically the case for you? WOW ^
Old Nov 13, 2004, 4:34 am

Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton
My corporate rate discount varies on different locations.

But I'm glad of the 209 rate at the 4-pts.
Old Dec 5, 2004, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA Gold; US Air Silver; Amtrak Select Plus; Starwood Platinum; UA 1K; Aeroflot Bonus
I stayed at the Four Points Chelsea last week (Had stayed there a few months ago as well).

I made two reservations for consecutive nights (travel plans changed). The front desk couldn't combine the reservations; I had to check out and check back in the second day (This was relatively painless; was in same room).

The hotel was offering a 350 point amenity bonus (On top of the standard 250 points). The two reservations generated two invoices and two stay credits and two sets of amenity bonuses.

Hotel was fine. I had a small room on the 21st floor. Bathroom had a tub (I thought I remembered stall last time) and a bowed Westin-sytle shower curtain.

Staff was friendly and efficient. I received a free wine/beer coupon for the bar.
Old Dec 6, 2004, 5:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by StSebastian
For my money, it was a great and convenient location for 7K points instead of having a $220+ bill for a night.

Agree completely! We just stayed there this weekend using points (vs. the $300+ rates at just about every decent hotel in the city). It's got a good location and our room was just what we should expect from a Four Pts. - clean, nice king bed, decent view and mid-grade amenities. The staff at the front desk were great. While waiting in the lobby for friends I watched them assist several customers and they seemed to really care about they were doing. There is also a big picture of the new Soho Four Points in the lobby (not open yet).
Old Apr 29, 2005, 8:58 am

Going to spend a weekend there, any suggestions for the best room?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.