Wiki Posts
Search

Cheapest Starwood for MR

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2006, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Cheapest Starwood for MR

Need about 10 nights to retain my Platinum Status with Starwood and no big trips planned. Any Starwood hotels out there that are very cheap? Do all require actually checking in or can this be "arranged" with the hotle = after all, they still get the money!
Thanks
Old Jul 10, 2006, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by stevens397
Need about 10 nights to retain my Platinum Status with Starwood and no big trips planned. Any Starwood hotels out there that are very cheap? Do all require actually checking in or can this be "arranged" with the hotle = after all, they still get the money!
Thanks
Not sure what would be the rates in 2006, but for 2007 you can book several dates (mainly during summer if I remember right...) at the $50 rate at the Four Points by Sheraton Phoenix Metrocenter.

If anyone out there can find a cheaper rate, please let me know.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm going to move this to the Hotel Deals forum area.

bhatnasx
Mileage Run Moderator
Old Jul 10, 2006, 8:03 am

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, UA GS, AS MVP GOLD 75K
I like using the 4 points Pleasanton for $62 for stays in the Bay Area.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 9:02 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by olimaspecto
I like using the 4 points Pleasanton for $62 for stays in the Bay Area.
I like it better at the $59 rate.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 9:43 am

Programs: *Wood Platinum, AA Platium, HH Gold
do you guys think its worth 60*10 = $600+taxes to be platinum (plus of course any airfare that hed pay to get the said *wood prop)?

as a platinum i do enjoy the platinum lounges and the upgrades etc but a hotel run doesnt seem as obviously beneficial as a mile run for AA EXP or UA 1k where you get upgrade certs which have a definitive value to them.

also youll have to check into the hotel to get the stay credit. you dont have to sleep in the bed but you at least need to go to the front desk and check in.

and finally overseas starwoods can be very cheap. the sheraton luxor egypt is <45$ a night but i assume you wouldnt want to fly all the way over there.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, UA GS, AS MVP GOLD 75K
Originally Posted by slackinormackin
do you guys think its worth 60*10 = $600+taxes to be platinum (plus of course any airfare that hed pay to get the said *wood prop)?

as a platinum i do enjoy the platinum lounges and the upgrades etc but a hotel run doesnt seem as obviously beneficial as a mile run for AA EXP or UA 1k where you get upgrade certs which have a definitive value to them.

also youll have to check into the hotel to get the stay credit. you dont have to sleep in the bed but you at least need to go to the front desk and check in.

and finally overseas starwoods can be very cheap. the sheraton luxor egypt is <45$ a night but i assume you wouldnt want to fly all the way over there.
The status is definitely a plus if you can do it. More frequently however I will do a mattress run for a promotion (such as the current SPG 9 stays for 18K points one this summer). It just depends where you are and your schedule. For me, living in SMF currently, driving down for a Friday/Saturday night stay in the bay isn’t all that bad, but its obviously different if all your reasonably close Starwood hotels are expensive.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 12:24 am
aku

Programs: UA 1MM, Marr/SPG LT Plat, HH Gold, IC Amb, Hyatt Gold, Hertz 5*, BW LT Diam
Is Plat status your highest priority?

Here's my suggestion: use the Cash & Points option for a Category 3 hotel near you--the Sheraton Parsippany, for example, is 2800 points + $45 per night. IIRC, you still get credit for these nights. Ten nights will cost you $450 and 28,000 points--but if you get them all in by August 15, you might qualify for 18,000 in bonus points (I don't know whether that's a targeted promotion).

You can only reserve five nights at a time this way, so you'd have to make two reservations. You would only have to show up the first night of each reservation (though it's probably a good idea to check out in person as well).

To make this work, you'll want to verify with SPG CS that you get credit for C&P nights, and that you can register for the 18,000 point promotion. Good luck.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by aku
Here's my suggestion: use the Cash & Points option for a Category 3 hotel near you--the Sheraton Parsippany, for example, is 2800 points + $45 per night. IIRC, you still get credit for these nights.
No, you don't get stay credits for Cash & Points stays. I doubt they'd qualify for the 18K bonus points offer, either.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 11:47 am

Programs: SPG & CO Plat.
Originally Posted by Reason077
No, you don't get stay credits for Cash & Points stays. I doubt they'd qualify for the 18K bonus points offer, either.
Reason is right - see the SPG website for details.

Guest will not receive Starpoints or airline miles for their reservation; therefore, a Cash & Points stay does not qualify as an eligible stay toward earning elite level or toward any promotions requiring nights or stays.

Last edited by FatManInNYC; Jul 11, 2006 at 11:47 am Reason: clarity
Old Jul 11, 2006, 3:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Reason077
However if you will be in the area that Hotel Sheraton Parsippany has an Employee rate of $69 for Sunday Nights that is good for Everyone. dont have the Code handy , just call and ask them to book you at the Promo Employeee Rate .

Too bad its Only for Sunday Nights. Much better then blowing 2800 Pts , I'd pay an extra $24 everyday.

heres the info;

1- Its max 1 day and Sunday Night Only

2- its good till 12/31/06

3- call 866-716-8115 to book and tell 'em "HOT05" or use that code OnLine ( thats the letter O , and the # 0 )

Last edited by craz; Jul 11, 2006 at 3:54 pm
Old Jul 11, 2006, 8:10 pm

Programs: Platinum: Delta, Starwood, Priority Club. Hyatt-Diamond, TA
Can anyone answer the question whether it is possible to arrange something with the hotel to check in without actually staying?
Old Jul 12, 2006, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP (1M+), HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by drjazz
Can anyone answer the question whether it is possible to arrange something with the hotel to check in without actually staying?
My advice would be to call the front desk of the hotel in question and ask. If they say yes ask for the employee's name and talk to the same person on your check-in day.

I've done it twice with a Hampton Inn (differant company) and did not have any problem with checking in over the phone.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 10:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, HH Gold
You can take a look at the hotel categories list here. Look for CAT1 to CAT3 hotels and you should be able to find some low rates.

Since you live in NJ, there are lots of spg properties in that region. Why not visit places on the weekend and get something out of your money? It will probably cost more, but if you can enjoy it, it maybe worthwhile.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 10:18 am

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
4 points in Hagerstown, MD
4 points Milwaukee South - Airport

I've seen both with rates around $69.

Not quite as good at the 50-65 seen, but if it's less expensive for you to get to these locations...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.