Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

GONE : Le Meridien Budapest, Hungary : Left SPG 1 Sep 2015 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 5, 2015, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
Leaving Starwood on September 1, 2015

Le Méridien Budapest will be leaving the Starwood system on September 1, 2015. Reservations for dates on or after September 1, 2015, will not be eligible for Starwood Preferred Guest membership benefits, award redemption or accrual.

Will be re-branded as a Ritz-Carlton in 2016.
Print Wikipost

GONE : Le Meridien Budapest, Hungary : Left SPG 1 Sep 2015 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2013, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajamieson
When was the Marriott building built? I'm willing to bet it was before 1991. If so, I should have thought the reasons for its appearance are obvious.
Built in 1968 as the Intercontinental Duna.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 12:20 am

Programs: SPG Plat 100, A3*G
The FourSeasons is a completely different story... looks lovely. But definitely wouldn't be thanking anyone for referring me to the Marriott...
Old Jun 27, 2013, 12:57 pm

Stayed in a business suite (platinum upgrade). Like the vouchers for platinums (free coffee, free internet, free welcome drink, free breakfast, free exhibition).

Here some pictures:
http://youhavebeenupgraded.boardinga...en-budapest-2/

Last edited by youhavebeenupgraded; Mar 12, 2014 at 12:26 pm
Old Jun 27, 2013, 6:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & Lifetime Platinum, United Platinum, Delta Silver
I stayed here back in February 2012 and was generally very pleased with the hotel -- I liked the location, my room, and the Plat recognition. However, there were a few issues with the staff and concierge -- I would not trust them as a reliable source of information about Budapest

1. Room -- Had a large corner room (junior suite?) on a high floor overlooking the park. Was modern and clean with a nice view. Very quiet and comfortable

2. Platinum recognition -- one of the best I have ever experienced. In addition to the standards (upgrade, points, late check out, etc), we also received: 1) full breakfast at the buffet each day (omelet bar, hot food, meats and cheeses, fruits, breads, juice, coffee, etc); 2) A complementary bottle of white or red wine for the room; and 3) a voucher for 2 free drinks at the first floor bar during happy hour.

3. The staff was unable to provide even basic information about Budapest (aside from a map) and the information they provided was completely wrong in two instances -- 1) they told us the museums across the river were all open on Monday -- they were wrong, none of them were open; 2) we had received some old Hungarian forints when we exchanged money back in the US and the staff told us that the ONLY place we could exchange them for new notes was at the Hungarian Central Bank, where we would have to stand in line for hours (they recommended that we just throw them away). We ignored their advice and were able to exchange the notes at the Citibank around the corner in minutes. They were also literally unable to provide dinner recommendations

Overall, I liked the hotel and would return but avoid asking the staff for any advice or local information during the stay
Old Oct 23, 2013, 8:39 pm

Stayed at this property a couple of weeks ago and would highly recommend. Very attractive property in a good location -- I walked to all the major city sights; got bumped up to a large corner room like DCFlyer, even though I am only Gold; and all of the staff were kind and helpful and spoke English very well. I would definitely stay there again. Only complaint is that I haven't received the 1000 points for making a green choice twice yet
Old Nov 17, 2013, 1:26 am

Junior Suite (Platinum Upgrade): http://youhavebeenupgraded.boardinga...en-budapest-3/

Last edited by youhavebeenupgraded; Mar 12, 2014 at 11:44 am
Old May 19, 2014, 10:49 am

Stayed here for four nights last week; booked a paid superior room and was upgraded to a deluxe room (gold member) and had a very pleasant stay. Some staff confusion about what the internet options were, however. The card in the room says wi-fi and cable available; I asked the bellboy where the cable connection was (not immediately obvious - I'm used to seeing a physical Ethernet cable). He checked with the front desk and reported that there was no Ethernet. Later I noticed a covered jack next to the phone jack and voila! - there it was. Since I travel with my own cable, I was good to go!
Old Jun 13, 2014, 8:08 am

Platinum members - did you get free wifi or only ethernet?
Old Jun 13, 2014, 8:59 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Wifi.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 5:53 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Had a brief but very pleasant stay here recently. As a Plat, got upgraded to a nice corner room, received a tasty welcome pastry in room, and was generally treated very well by staff. I also got a complementary welcome drink voucher, which I never got around using.

I picked the breakfast as my amenity and was impressed with the restaurant buffet.

In terms of connectivity, I was told that I could pick their premium hotel-wide wifi and the charge would be waived. And it was.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 5:50 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Stayed here over the weekend. Was definitely rather disappointed by the stay.

On check-in I got recognition of my Platinum status and one of the "You're upgraded" covers for my keycard. Despite the hotel appearing relatively empty, my room was either the base category or a Deluxe, the next one up. There was no view and being right next to the elevator we heard beeping and conversations every time someone entered or left the floor. Overall the walls appeared oddly thin for such an old building - We did have people in the room next to us at one stage and we could hear the cutlery move as they ate.

The automated system allowed high speed Internet access for 24 hours twice (i.e. one device is one period). We also got a couple of vouchers for low speed access. I had two phones and a laptop and my guest had a phone so we just about made do by only having our devices on for some of the time, but that felt pretty bad.

They have a cross-keys concierge who seemed quite up to speed and was able to arrange some services for us. We popped by after dinner one evening on our way to a bar and asked one of the other concierges to send an ice bucket up to our room and we were told that we had to go up to the room and call room service from there. I thought that was a pretty poor effort from a 5* hotel.

Room cleaning also felt a little low effort. We received quite a nice welcome Platinum eclair on Friday but policy is apparently not to take it away until it's done - so we still had half a smelly and slightly moldy eclair in our room when we left on Friday afternoon. Similarly items in the bathroom aren't rearranged, clothes and left lying around, etc.

Overall, I didn't find this place up to the base 4* Meridien standard and certainly not up for a 5* period building prestige hotel that it's positioned at in the Hungarian market. Thanks to some fiddling I got rates of around €130EUR a night, but I've often seen it at €180 which I really can't see how they could justify.

The Four Seasons is clearly more expensive, but looks great. Next time in Budapest I'd consider the Corinthia or possibly one of the other chain hotels (Kempinski, Intercotinental..).
Old Nov 3, 2014, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete

The Four Seasons is clearly more expensive, but looks great.
Having stayed in both hotels- the Four Seasons is great and is worth the extra money for value.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 8:38 am
Suspended

Theres really no views from the LeM, I guess the nicest would be of the park right in front of it, but theres usually alot of noise as well.

If a view is what you want the best maybe The Marriott where all the rooms face the Danube, most other hotels dont afford river rooms to all its rooms eg IC,FS
Old Nov 3, 2014, 9:35 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by craz
Theres really no views from the LeM, I guess the nicest would be of the park right in front of it, but theres usually alot of noise as well.
This is the kind of view I was thinking of:
http://www.aktivtours.hu/uploads/Le%...uxeRoom_lg.jpg
Old Nov 4, 2014, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craz

If a view is what you want the best maybe The Marriott where all the rooms face the Danube, most other hotels dont afford river rooms to all its rooms eg IC,FS
The best view in my opinion is still from the balconies of the Chain Bridge view rooms and suites at the Four Seasons. The Marriott is good but is not quite as nice with the direct on view.

LM does have some nice views of the Square and Church and they are not too noisy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.