Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Bonaventure or Sheraton LA downtown [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Bonaventure or Sheraton LA downtown [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2017, 10:21 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by travelista
Just had a pleasant 3-night stay there last week.
  • SPG Platinum recognition at check-in.
  • Full, hot complimentary buffet breakfast as Plat
  • And 500pt Plat amenity at check-in
  • Was upgraded to 1-bed suite w/o using any SNA's
  • Was given an invite to a Tues evening complimentary wine event near their LA Prime restaurant
  • Was delivered a fruit bowl & large bottle of still water (Perhaps due to being SPG100?)
  • Valet was efficient and quick

*Does not participate in MAGC, so I couldn't get those points

Close proximity to a bunch of good restaurants
You didn't mention which of the two hotels you stayed at.
KENNECTED likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 6:38 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, WOH Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, MSC Dia, Nespresso Club, ZTL Queen in Italy
Originally Posted by helvetic
You didn't mention which of the two hotels you stayed at.
Westin Bonaventure
Old Sep 12, 2017, 12:34 am

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
I spent a week at the Sheraton a while back and just spent another week at the Westin Bonaventure.

As an SPG platinum, I prefer the Westin. Nice pool area, much better (platinum) breakfast. I got a suite upgrade at the Westin, but no room upgrade at the Sheraton. And if you need a car, there is an Enterprise rental across the street.
controller1 likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 11:54 am

Quick history: 8-10 years ago, I was pretty-much living here. I lost my local client. Then, with the Marriott acquisition, I pulled back on SPG stays, 100 to around 35-40 nights/year.

I split the past two weeks between the Bonaventure and the Sheraton Downtown. No reason the Bonaventure should "remember me", but, by god, they treated me very well (resulting in four future reservations). They did recognize me as a return guest, and spared me the long explanation of how to use the elevators and such.

As (almost) always, I had a nice suite in my preferred tower (Green, with the fitness center). Full breakfast was the Welcome Amenity, instead of the Continental, which was "standard" for a while. And that full breakfast offered broccoli, squash and other things I like, but rarely see. (I did not get points and breakfast as a "double" Welcome Amenity", like travelista apparently did, but I don't care about points anyway.) The fitness center was as good as it's been at the Bonaventure, with a few "spinning" bikes to ease the historical crowding at peak times. To-the-door delivery of USA Today, with WSJ available at the bell desk and restaurant.

The Sheraton was fine. It's still got the "new" feel, but the slow elevators - how can they be so slow at 3:00AM? - drive me nuts. After the Marriott deal, given the paucity
of affordable DTLA Marriott options, the lounge has gotten uncomfortably busy. The fitness center is still great, with views and regularly upgraded/refreshed equipment.
USA Today, WSJ and LA Times all available in the lounge, so a small "edge" to the Sheraton there.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 1:28 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
They are both solid hotels. I prefer the Bonaventure for several reasons

• Safer area
  • Easier freeway access
  • 98% chance of a suite upgrade
  • Better Views
  • Platinum breakfast in restaurant

And as a previous poster stated, if you have a tall vehicle, parking becomes a challenge, although not impossible in the hotel garage
Old Nov 19, 2017, 8:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by clarkef
They are both solid hotels. I prefer the Bonaventure for several reasons
  • Safer area
  • Easier freeway access
  • 98% chance of a suite upgrade
  • Better Views
  • Platinum breakfast in restaurant

And as a previous poster stated, if you have a tall vehicle, parking becomes a challenge, although not impossible in the hotel garage
Safer area for the Bonaventure? How so as the hotels are only a half mile apart.

As a lowly non-SPG status guest I'm comparing these two hotels for a weekend award stay next Summer and noted how much higher the Sheraton is rated compared to the Westin so is the pool and room views at Bonaventure enough to still give it the edge without all the elite perks?
Old Nov 19, 2017, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tcook052
Safer area for the Bonaventure? How so as the hotels are only a half mile apart.

As a lowly non-SPG status guest I'm comparing these two hotels for a weekend award stay next Summer and noted how much higher the Sheraton is rated compared to the Westin so is the pool and room views at Bonaventure enough to still give it the edge without all the elite perks?
As a low status guest, I'd say both the Westin and the Sheraton are about the same. The Sheraton has more restaurants in the neighbourhood.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 4:25 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by tcook052
Have you never been to L.A.? Two blocks is enough in L.A. to go from safe to shady to downright dangerous.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 4:34 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Have you never been to L.A.? Two blocks is enough in L.A. to go from safe to shady to downright dangerous.
Yes, I have which but not for a while which is why I was curious to hear more from previous poster as 'unsafe neighborhood' is not something that pops up in reviews for the Sheraton which is #6 on TA..

Last edited by tcook052; Nov 19, 2017 at 4:45 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.