Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Changing/Cancelling Advanced Purchase Rates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2019, 12:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: MR Platinum

Hi there

Wondering what your experiences are with changing/cancelling an Advance Purchase Rate after 24 hours? It’s been 48 hours since the booking was made and my card hasn’t been charged. I would like to make a change. Would I risk any penalties if I make a change now?
Old May 5, 2019, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Your card is never going to be charged at 25 hours post-booking. But if you make any changes without talking to the hotel they have the right to charge your card.

Call the hotel. They might be flexible, especially if you want to change dates instead of cancel.
Old May 5, 2019, 4:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: MR Platinum
Thanks! Same dates but the Advance Purchase Rate for my total is about USD100 less now.
Old May 5, 2019, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CS300
Thanks! Same dates but the Advance Purchase Rate for my total is about USD100 less now.
Which is why you never, ever should book non-refundable rates...

You pay a bit extra for a flexible rate to lock in a maximum price, then keep checking back regularly for lower rates, BRGs, different/better hotels etc.
CS300 likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 9:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Which is why you never, ever should book non-refundable rates...
That may be your rule, but it is not always the correct rule.

There are times you can save literally thousands of dollars booking a nonrefundable rate.
anniegray likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It can also make sense to book a nonrefundable rate if you're close to the cancellation deadline, although some hotels pull the nonrefundable rates at the time of their normal cancellation deadline. Of course, this would apply to shorter stays or "resorts" where the penalty would be paying for the entire stay anyway.
Old May 5, 2019, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by CS300
Your best bet is to call the hotel directly.
Old May 5, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It can also make sense to book a nonrefundable rate if you're close to the cancellation deadline, although some hotels pull the nonrefundable rates at the time of their normal cancellation deadline.
Yes, unfortunately Marriott fixed the SPG IT which used to allow booking of prepaid rate as late as day of arrival
Old May 5, 2019, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
That may be your rule, but it is not always the correct rule.

There are times you can save literally thousands of dollars booking a nonrefundable rate.
At one ad hoc moment in time you might apparently be spending less on a specific hotel stay. Over time you are most definitely paying more by consistently refusing one way options to take advantage of rates falling. Save thousands you say? You might have saved tens of thousands by waiting...

But the silliest thing of all is booking non-refundable then continuing to monitor rates at that hotel.
writerguyfl, CS300 and GalaxyChris like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.