Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Astir Palace Complex, Athens, Greece (Luxury Collection & Westin)[Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Astir Palace Complex, Athens, Greece (Luxury Collection & Westin)[Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2011, 3:54 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SAS EBD, BA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by raunow
I've got a stay at Arion Resort in a week, spending my FRN's with my wife.

As a Platinum, can I expect breakfast to be complimentary (in the lounge or the restaurant) ?
To answer my own question: Plats get breakfast in the lounge (very limited Continental breakfast, US lounge style), but no special deal at the (very nice) 30€ restaurant breakfast.

Other than the poor lounge, it's a beautiful property in a very nice location. Plat upgrade to a corner suite, and bathing weather in early October. Friendly staff, but not overly efficient.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 3:43 pm

Programs: AC MM SE, Marriott Titanium - Lifetime Plat 2nd Class, National Executive, Avis PP
Mrs CC and I stayed 4 nights here at the end of October, 2 nights in each property. The Westin gave us a bigger suite (Executive Deluxe Suite) than the Arion (amazing 2 person walk in shower with built in steam !) but had no lounge. When we checked in at the Arion afterwards, they told us as Plat guests we could have used their lounge even if staying at the Westin.

Suite at Arion was smaller (Excelsior Deluxe Suite), but still nice (one of the ones on the 4th floor). Wireless internet works in lobby (and if you hang over the balcony off the 4th floor lounge). Breakfast was minimal but ok for us, but the wine was not worth drinking (we brought our own).

Spa is a must do. It was too cold to try the outside pool, but warm enough to still lie by the private beach.

Japanese restaurant was good (and very busy), but quite overpriced ($10 for a bottle of flat water). Worth trying if you want a special, non Greek dinner as part of your trip.

If you are looking for something a little more reasonable and authentic, just head out to the main road and turn right - south (?) away from downtown Athens and 1 minute on your left are a group of restaurants. We tried a few, with our favourite being Pakaaikon. Very friendly, great food and a bargain price.

CC
Old Dec 17, 2011, 8:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, BD Silver, Amtrak Select, SPG & PCR Plat/ICH Amb, AA, AS, DL, PR
Was originally booked for the Westin tonight but found out a few days ago that my reservation was transferred to the Arion (where I was gonna hop for a couple more nights anyways). Turns out that the reasoning for my switch was because the Westin was supposedly closed for repairs. Was anyone else affected by this?
Old May 8, 2012, 6:54 am

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Im thinking of booking an Arion bungalow with pool for a few days running up to a cruise.

Has anyone experienced their in-suite pools? Are they private and well appointed? Thanks...
Old Jul 3, 2012, 11:44 am

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB
One night each in Westin (points) and Arion (c&p). Good stays in both hotels, nice suite upgrade at Arion. Stayed with 2 small kids and was not charged for extra bed (last year we were). Plat breakfast benefit at Westin very generous, full buffet and kids were not charged. Lounge at Arion is small but worked for us, be on time for drinks, 6 beers were gone by 6:30 and not restocked. These properties remain high on the list.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 3:52 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
Originally Posted by banzani
Lounge at Arion is small but worked for us, be on time for drinks, 6 beers were gone by 6:30 and not restocked. These properties remain high on the list.
I've stayed at the Arion a few times, including last month, and I've never known them not to restock the lounge that early. The lounge is indeed small but it works as it never gets busy. I love the place, expecially the fact you can sit on a balcony on either side of the building and enjoy the different views.

We again got a fabulous suite on the top floor with a large balcony and a fabulous sea view. The only slight blemish was a charge that showed up on the bill that took about ten days and almost a dozen emails to get removed. I suppose it serves me right for rushing out at the last minute and not checking it....
Old Aug 29, 2012, 4:36 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC

The Westin Athens Astir Palace Beach Resort

Apollonos 40 Vouliagmeni Vari-Voula-Vouliagmeni, GR 16671

The Westin Athens Astir Palace Beach Resort (0 Photo)

Booked 3 nights C+p at the Arion Astir Palace choosing to book a simultaneous one day stay at the GB in Athens for a day of sightseeing, which was brilliant value given the standard rates.

Upgraded to an Excelsior Deluxe Suite the evening prior to check in. The hotel is steeped in rich history with many celebrity guests, and is best described as understated elegance. We were grateful we made the decision not to spend all 3 nights in Athens.

The hotel has no wifi in the rooms, which I find rather unacceptable today. Was able to set up a wifi network on my Mac, but it's annoying nonetheless. The lounge is pathetic at best, serving only tea, coffee, cheese, beer and horrible wine. We were able to have breakfast in the restaurant, which cooked the best omelettes we have ever had in ALL of our hotel stays.

The cost of food and beverage at the hotel is outrageous, but on par with other hotels of the same stature. Dinner at the Italian restaurant reached 160 Euros so we mainly ate lunch on the beach, and had dinner at the lobby bar with cocktails with meals around 20 Euros and cocktails 18 Euros.

The views of the Agean from the hotel are simply stunning. The beach area is ok, but be wary of the staff who seem to reserve sunbeds for guests who tip them handsomely. The outdoor pool at the Arion is saltwater, small, and rather windy.

The spa area is impressive with a steam room, sauna, indoor pool, a decent gym and a foot spa.

The hotel seems to be a weekend getaway for wealth Athenians.

We wandered over to the Westin which had nice cabanas on the cliff by the pool, but otherwise stuck to the Arion.

Would you like to write a review on the The Westin Athens Astir Palace Beach Resort?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Does anyone think the Arion would be good for families?
Old Sep 27, 2012, 3:11 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by stimpy
Does anyone think the Arion would be good for families?
Yes. The beach is very nice, and quite shallow.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 12:50 am

Programs: DL DM, United 1K, Marriott Ambassador
Any new reviews?

I am trying to figure out whether to stay at the Westin or the Arion. I am a Platinum SPG so I am curious about the lounges. I have a reservation booked for the same price at both and it includes breakfast (so I think) so I am not worried about the breakfast. I would love for the lounge to offer some nice hors d'oeuvres and drinks as well as water.

Any ideas would really be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Jun 19, 2013, 1:09 am

Stayed at the Arion i March, and the lounge offerings in the afternoon were very limited and cheap. If it hadn't been for the nice outdoor seating, we wouldn't have used the lounge at all.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 5:36 pm

Programs: DL DM, United 1K, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by heakja
Stayed at the Arion i March, and the lounge offerings in the afternoon were very limited and cheap. If it hadn't been for the nice outdoor seating, we wouldn't have used the lounge at all.
Thanks for the advice. I wonder how the Westin compares? Would you choose the Arion over the Westin again?
Old Jun 19, 2013, 5:56 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by jklevine
Thanks for the advice. I wonder how the Westin compares? Would you choose the Arion over the Westin again?
The Arion is a stunning property, with a very exclusive feel. If you get a suite upgrade it is very luxurious.

The Westin is more family oriented.

Forget the Arion lounge, it's one of the worst I have experienced in terms of offerings, but everything else is deluxe.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 9:42 am

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB
Astir Palace Hotel Complex in Greece with L.C., Westin [Master Thread]

Westin does not have a lounge. Arion is more intimate and seems to have better Plat upgrades. Both properties share pool/beach, ie you can walk from one to the other. I'd recommend the Arion.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 7:22 am

Programs: AMEX PLAT , HILTON GOLD, STARWOOD PREFERRED GUEST GOLD, IHG PLAT AMBASSADOR, DAVID O FAN CLUB
Arion vs Westin vs GB - Which is better if the price/points is the same ?

I am looking at having about 3 days in Athens , 3 days in Mykonos and 3 days in Santorini.

At the mo I am thinking GB or Arion ?????

Will be in Athens the day of our honeymoon

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.