Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Astir Palace Complex, Athens, Greece (Luxury Collection & Westin)[Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Astir Palace Complex, Athens, Greece (Luxury Collection & Westin)[Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2010, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by clmsontigrs
i just returned from a 6 night stay at the Arion Hotel. I was there for a business conference.

- Several people had items taken from the hotel...
Wow, as i'm sure your group was a very large piece of business for the hotel, this does not bode well for the hotel's reputation. Do you know if mgmt took these issues seriously and offered any help?
Old May 23, 2010, 9:51 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Has anyone stayed at the Westin with kids? Any comments on the sports facilities, especially the basketball court?
Old May 30, 2010, 1:38 pm

I stayed last summer at the Westin with small kids, but did not find any basketball court or sport activities. There is a nice pool and private beach in the complex. Please prepare your wallet.
Old May 31, 2010, 6:59 am

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by peteropny
We're still debating whether to stay at Westin / Arion or the Grande Bretagne and had some questions. Westin's website seem to indicate that if you're in a Club level room, you get an airport transfer - I'm assuming that as a SPG Plat, we should be upgraded to this level - would the airport transfer still apply? Arion has no mention of an airport transfer? On the subject of transfers, the Westin mentions airport transfers (plural) which I assume means boh ways (would it be a problem for the "outbound" from the property to be to Piraeus instead of ATH)?

The rooms do look very nice for both properties and we're not real fond of Athens so debating this.

Thanks again!!!
This is from the Arion concierge:

We would like to inform you that, unfortunately there is not a shuttle bus from the airport to the hotel, but we can arrange for you a private limo or a taxi to pick you up from the airport, with an English speaking driver holding a sign with your name. The cost for that will be 120euro for the limo and 60euro for a taxi or you can even have just a taxi at the taxi station outside of the airport building and that will cost you around 30 euro.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
How far is this hotel from the port (Piraeus?) where the hydrofoils and boats take day trips to the islands? Specifically...Santorini and Mykonos?
Old Jun 11, 2010, 1:00 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
How far is this hotel from the port (Piraeus?) where the hydrofoils and boats take day trips to the islands? Specifically...Santorini and Mykonos?
It depends on traffic, and that can be significant sometimes. I think it was about a 30 minute ride for us on our early morning arrival into the port, and there was not much traffic.

Just like the hotel provides complimentary shuttle service to/from the airport, they also include shuttle service to/from the port. Coordinate arrangements in advance. Edited to add: Airport shuttle is offered for Executive level (Westin) and Excelsior level (Arion) guests only! Might be one-way only. Might no longer include shuttle to/from port. See additional discussion below.

Google Maps says 35 minutes.

Last edited by sc flier; Jun 12, 2010 at 1:49 pm Reason: corrected shuttle info.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 1:36 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Gold, Virgin Silver
stayed here during summer 2009

-gorgeous room

-amazing deal using cash + points

-frighteningly expensive food

-pools and private beach are lovely

-morning shuttle to Athens is convenient

-check-in concierge was snooty

-overall, 4/5 stars. One of the nicest hotels in which I've ever stayed.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 6:36 am

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by sc flier

....Just like the hotel provides complimentary shuttle service to/from the airport, they also include shuttle service to/from the port. Coordinate arrangements in advance.
Could you provide some more details on this. I actually sent an e-mail to the hotel a few days ago inquiring about transport between the airport and the hotel and got a reply telling me to take a taxi.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 10:24 am

i need info about The Westin Athens Astir Palace Beach Resort

I book a room for 4 days on Cash and Points, and after sending an email to the concierge there are telling that as platinum you get NO breakfast... It that the deal... as well I ask for a roll away for my 8 year old son and I was told that it will be an extra cost of 30 euros, and if we want it breakfast will be another 30 euros per person.

Is this hotel worth the extra 90 euros for a roll away and breakfast????
Old Jun 12, 2010, 10:30 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by puntos68
I book a room for 4 days on Cash and Points, and after sending an email to the concierge there are telling that as platinum you get NO breakfast...
Breakfast is not a platinum benefit at Starwood. Hotels with lounges offer breakfast and a few other hotels do as a courtesy. Lounges are not a brand standard at Westin, unfortunately.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 11:32 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by sc flier
Just like the hotel provides complimentary shuttle service to/from the airport, they also include shuttle service to/from the port. Coordinate arrangements in advance.
I had emailed them to ask about the "complimentary" shuttle to/from airport/Piraeus and was told only if you book (and pay for) Club level at the property and that Platinum upgrades will not receive the complimentary shuttle. How expensive is the "frighteningly" expensive food? Now that the stay will be paid for by the FWN, we're reconsidering the Grande Bretagne instead.

Supposedly the Westin in this complex does have a lounge.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 1:42 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by ajnaro
Could you provide some more details on this. I actually sent an e-mail to the hotel a few days ago inquiring about transport between the airport and the hotel and got a reply telling me to take a taxi.
My apologies; I was wrong. I had to look back to my posts last year to recall the details. Airport shuttle is free only for guests on the Executive Level of the Westin or in the Excelsior level rooms of the Arion. This might only be offered one-way now, might not include the port anymore, and apparently might require some argument to get it free when upgraded.

Last year I said, "Arion is offering C&P awards in multiple room types -- all for the same C&P price! So I've booked C&P awards into Excelsior Club (Arion) rooms for other nights that I needed. A perk of these rooms, IIUC, is that roundtrip transportation to/from the airport is included."

I don't see any details about this other than that it is part of the room description for an Excelsior Deluxe when you go to select a room from the rate list. I have not seen the Excelsior Deluxe offered on online C&P rates this year.

Originally Posted by peteropny
I had emailed them to ask about the "complimentary" shuttle to/from airport/Piraeus and was told only if you book (and pay for) Club level at the property and that Platinum upgrades will not receive the complimentary shuttle. How expensive is the "frighteningly" expensive food? Now that the stay will be paid for by the FWN, we're reconsidering the Grande Bretagne instead.
I would argue that they can't legitimately exclude Plats from getting this benefit for the return from the hotel to the airport since this privilege is part of the room description. However, it's harder to argue for this from the airport to the hotel if you haven't yet checked in to confirm the upgrade.

The same is true of the Executive level rooms and suites at the Westin. "Free Airport Pick-up" is stated in the room description.

On the starwoodhotels.com site, the "Executive Club Room" description says, "One-way Complimentary Airport Transfer or 20% Off Spa Menu." (Seriously? One or the other? What an odd option!)

Obviously, if the hotel says its not available to Plats, you might have to fight for this and get someone from SPG involved.

There's a lot of subtle inconsistencies on the websites right now. The taxi prices on the Transportation Options pages seem inconsistent and/or illogical.

Supposedly the Westin in this complex does have a lounge.
They used to, but I don't see any mention of this on the westinathens.com website anymore. Now I see things like "2 Comp Signature Drinks P/stay" as part of the room description for an Exec Suite (when viewing the list of available rooms for a rate search) and "Continental breakfast in room" for the Exec Suite on the westinathens.com website.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 11:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Gold
Is the Westin good at honoring late checkout for platinum's upto 4 pm?
Old Jul 27, 2010, 6:16 am

As a gold, I received 4pm check out last month. There was a big function for that night, and so initially they hesitated, but we were accommodated nonetheless.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 9:50 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Gold
Just got back from a 3 night stay at the Westin. Let me just say that this is one of the best starwood properties I have seen for the price I paid (Cash & Points @ $90/night). As a Platinum, I was upgraded to a HUGE suite. It was our honeymoon so they did the whole with the roses on the bed which my wife loved,chocolates, strawberries, and sparkling french wine, which in the menu lists for 110 EUR!!! Some interesting rooms features I have not seen were automatic curtains, a steam room, and a dual shower area. The grounds are nice. The pool is massive and the small beach is great for people who can't swim well since its shallow with no waves and also great for kids. My favorite was diving the wall into the ocean below.
We had breakfast once in the morning that was really nice, really expensive but amazing! We never had dinner and instead went into town. Note that the walk is a good 25 minutes at least so grab a cab!

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone..especially to anyone using points!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.