Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Astir Palace Complex, Athens, Greece (Luxury Collection & Westin)[Master Thread]

Astir Palace Complex, Athens, Greece (Luxury Collection & Westin)[Master Thread]

Old Oct 6, 2014, 9:52 pm

When you Google the Arion or the Westin, you get this text in the capsule search results on Google "The Arion, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Astir Palace, Athens will be leaving the Starwood system on November 14, 2014"

However when you go to the linked page, that text isn't actually there. Strange. However this has happened a number of times before, and the text shows up on the pages a few days later. It seems they're possibly going.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 1:14 am

I was considering a trip to this hotel in April 2015, but the hotel shows no availability. After sending an email to the hotel, I got this answer (which does not say much):

"We would like to inform you that due to scheduled, extensive renovations at the resort, we are currently not accepting reservations for the requested dates. As providing exemplary service and luxurious infrastructure to our guests is our top priority, we will be delighted to have an opportunity to welcome you on property for an incomparable and memorable experience in the near future."
Old Oct 8, 2014, 5:47 am

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB
Astir Palace Hotel Complex in Greece with L.C., Westin [Master Thread]

I am on site right now. The local rumor is that the new owners are not to keen on US Management. But it appears that no final decision has been taken.

It would be such a loss for SPG.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 8:33 pm

Leaving Starwood on December 31, 2014

Leaving Starwood on December 31, 2014

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin...ropertyID=1983

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/luxury...ropertyID=1984
Old Oct 19, 2014, 12:45 am

Oh no. One of my favorites in Europe. Glad I got to experience it, sad to see the whole complex go.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by James Luckard
sucks....
Old Oct 20, 2014, 6:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
This really does suck as I was just in Greece and we planned on going back next year and including one of these two hotels in that trip.

As an aside, I guess the W Athens Astir won't be happening anymore either since I think that was part of the overall complex of hotels.

http://www.wathenshotel.com/
Old Oct 20, 2014, 6:30 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Also no more W Athens.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
Also no more W Athens.
Yep, but it never opened. The Westin and Arion are the only two operating hotels at the complex.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 5:23 pm

Looks like it's not leaving after all. The notices on the individual pages are gone, and I found this article on their Facebook page:

http://www.lifemagazine.gr/index.php...tou-tourismou/

Google translation: "To hotel complex of Astir Palace Resort with the hotels «Arion, A Luxury collection Resort & Spa» and «The Westin Athens» continues normal operation from 01/01/2015 offering guests exceptional service and unique experiences, authentic for unique destination in the Mediterranean!"
Old Jan 1, 2015, 3:40 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
Would be great news! I hope the complex stays with starwood!
Old Mar 12, 2015, 3:51 pm

A Greek High Court has stopped the Gouvernment and Greek National Bank from selling the property to an Arab-Turkish fund. The reason seems to be a violation of planning law and environmential issues.
Pretty likely for that reason the complex is still with SPG. Thank you, Greek judges!
Old Mar 12, 2015, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Awesome news!!
Old Mar 12, 2015, 4:33 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Glad these properties are staying in the Starwood system, but does anyone know what the status is with what was supposed to be W Athens? I know the Aphrodite hotel in the complex was supposed to be converted to a W back in 2008 but there hasn't been a peep since the press release.

khabah
Old Mar 13, 2015, 1:16 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Just started a one night stay. Airport taxi was 30€ (apparently 20 for the cab + 5x2 for the 2 bags). Upgraded from a standard garden view to deluxe garden view as a gold. I was offered the sea view for an additional 25€ but didn't feel like it, considering I'd arrived in the evening, and it's forecasted to be cloudy tomorrow.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.