Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Barcelona, Spain [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 30, 2018, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Le Meridien Barcelona, Spain [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2006, 8:25 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by Braindrain
I later received an email from Starwood logistics (?) asking me to fill out a questionnaire for my stay here. . .:
Clarification - I believe it's called "Prognostics"
Old Oct 9, 2006, 4:23 am
TKG

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Star Alliance Gold
Satisfactory stay

Things must have improved recently, as I found the check-in process and status recognition worked without a hitch. I received a suite without having to ask, and was also pleased to see that the 500-point amenity option was available.

An extra nice touch was the offer of a teddy bear (placed on the bed) with a card apologizing for the current renovations.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA(2MM)-Plt, HH-Gld, HY-Glb, ICAmb-Plt, SPG-Plt (Life), AMEX-Plt
Recently returned from a 5-night award stay at the Le Meridien Barcelona (following Boo Doo III in Sitges). My expectations, as nroscoe's (above), were lowered as a result of recent reviews on FlyerTalk. Here is my review...

OVERALL
The Le Meridien is in a wonderfully central location near the upper end of Las Ramblas. The proximity to Las Ramblas and the crowds was not an issue. Within walking distance to so many things, I'd highly recommend this hotel and would stay here again without hesitation. This is not to say that the hotel couldn't improve on some things...

POSITIVES
o The staff was friendly and accomodated our requests within minutes (and believe me, there were requests!); however, we did not try room service (too many great options outside of the hotel to spend time eating in the room!)
o The newly remodeled rooms are very comfortable and stylish. Not large, but comfortable.
o The beds were soft with fluffy pillows and comforters.
o Nightly turn-down service was consistent.
o The shower was extremely soothing and refreshing; lots of water!
NOTE: Some rooms have showers only (as mine did) as opposed to tbose with showers plus tubs.
o Large Phillips flat-screen TV on the wall; smaller one in the bathroom.
o Confirmed late-checkout (as Platinum) with no problem.
o Two computers near the lobby with complimentary internet access--handy for quick web-checks; sometimes busy though.
o Did not encounter any issues with construction or remodeling as feared reading other posts.

NEGATIVES
o As a platinum, was told there were no suites available; did not receive an upgrade.
o Was asked which platinum amenity I preferred at checkin (I requested points); however, the points have not posted and will now require a call to customer care.
o No clocks in the room (I didn't really care, but some might).
o Although the large flat-screen tv is great, would be nice if it had CD/DVD inputs or even a built-in CD/DVD. We requested a CD player to listen to some music that we bought. The hotel brought one to our room, but it didn't work...we decided not to pursue it.
o Television viewing options are somewhat limited; would have been nice if closed-captioning was available.
o No health club/facility but told that there was one available within a couple of blocks.
o One bottle of complementary water the entire stay; was not refreshed the rest of the stay. (per nroscoe post above)

OTHER
o On Friday, 6 October 2006 (I believe) the new restaurant opened at the front of the Hotel (along Las Ramblas) called "cent111onze"...did not check it out as EVERY food restaurant along Las Ramblas is overpriced
o Given a remodeled room on the 2nd floor. Not sure what rooms are like on 3-9.

MORE (off-subject)
o Found a middle-eastern bakery along C/Hospital 95 (AYUB Bakers & Sweet) which we really liked.
o Also really liked (and ate numerous times at) "Made in Italy" on C/Ample 50 (1/2 block from the Correos (post office)).
o Of course, Bestiari was fantastic, especially the fois gras! (see Boo Doo III thread)
o Try Foodball (vegetarian restaurant near hotel Casa Camper), C/ Elisabets 9.
Old Oct 21, 2006, 1:26 pm

Jr. Suite vs. regular room

Staying here on points in November for 5 nights.

I noticed that all regular rooms are renovated, however suites are mixed with some renovated and some classical. Any advice on choosing a renovated regular room vs. the possibility of an unrenovated suite?
Old Oct 26, 2006, 11:24 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Stay report: A good experience

Originally Posted by tmartazu
. . . The Le Meridien is in a wonderfully central location near the upper end of Las Ramblas. The proximity to Las Ramblas and the crowds was not an issue. Within walking distance to so many things, I'd highly recommend this hotel and would stay here again without hesitation.
I just returned from five days at this property. I, too, had some trepidation based upon this thread, but decided to give it a go anyway. Fortunately, this was one of those occasions that my experience was on the better side of average reports.

I generally agree with the above statements, though I don't know that I'd "highly" recommend the hotel; I've certainly stayed in many Starwood properties around Europe that would rank higher. I would have no problem staying here again, as it is a fine property, but I wouldn't go out of my way, as in fly to BCN, just to do so.

For starters, we were upgraded (Platinum member) to a large suite on the 7th floor, overlooking Las Ramblas. Based upon the above descriptions, I can't believe that it has been renovated. It was a nice room, but the carpet, some of the furnishings and the bathroom were worn. It was a big suite, with a living/dining space facing Las Ramblas (albeit with an incredibly uncomfortable, old, hard sofa), connected to a separate space with a sofa table against the wall opposite a roll-top desk with a phone and high speed Internet connection (which I didn't use). The bedroom was in the back of the suite in a separate room, with a large walk-in closet that you walked through to get to the large marble bathroom with full tub/shower.

Check-in, by the way, was just as we all hope for: We arrived at about 1 PM, a couple hours prior to check-in. "Welcome, I see that you are a Platinum VIP. . . we have upgraded you to a beautiful suite, which is ready for you now. . . what would you like for your amenity?"

We did not eat in the new restaurant, as there are so many options all around. It looked very nice and the menu was interesting, but just didn't get to it.

A nice fruit plate was delivered upon our arrival, but not changed or replenished. Moldy strawberries laid on the plate for the duration. A bottle of still water was replenished every day.

We had room service each morning, which was prompt and very good on all counts.

There are two computers with printers set up at desks in a living room-type space next to the lobby that are free for guest use. They were busy virtually every time I walked past. A nice feature.

Construction/renovation continues at the property. Part of the front of the hotel is covered by scaffolding and work inside the hotel was apparent, at least audibly. Drilling and hammering noises started around 9 AM each week day and continued through the day.

As others have said, the location is excellent. We covered all the major BCN tourist highlights and walked everywhere. It's a very central location to the city's top 10 tourist sites.

All in all, I was very pleased with the stay. In my experience, the staff was not particularly warm, but certainly efficient and responsive.

Barcelona is a beautiful, interesting city and, in my experience, the Le Meridien is a good choice of a hotel from which to base a visit.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 11:29 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rgoel
. . . Any advice on choosing a renovated regular room vs. the possibility of an unrenovated suite?
The suite I just had must have been unrenovated and it was just fine. Given the choice of a renovated regular room or the suite we received, the choice would be easy: I'd definitely go with the suite.
Old Dec 28, 2006, 7:18 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Le Meridien "error in the system" excuse

Just checked into the Le Meridien Barcelona as a Platinum and was told that the hotel was fully booked and no suites were available. I called SPG Platinum number and was told that two suites were available (they were standard suites, not specialty). I then called the front desk and spoke with the manager who said that there must be an "error in the system" because they were all sold out. I once again explained that I could go to SPG.com and book the suite for the entire length of my stay. He then told me that "it was impossible" and that there must be an error.

Just to make a point, I made sure to tell him that I had read all these above posts which pointed to the same excuse/error having occurred in the past.
Either the staff was outright lying to me or something needs to be done regarding the system. If I had booked the suite on-line and walked up to the front desk only to be told that no suites were available, I would be angry.

Thanks for letting me vent
Old Dec 31, 2006, 5:46 am

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
Just came back from Europe and had two wonderful stays at the Barcelona Meridien. Both stays, I was upgraded to a beautiful suite on the 6th floor with a huge terrace. Great service, great location, great Platinum recognition.
^ ^
Old Dec 31, 2006, 5:47 am

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by nymets
Just checked into the Le Meridien Barcelona as a Platinum and was told that the hotel was fully booked and no suites were available. I called SPG Platinum number and was told that two suites were available (they were standard suites, not specialty). I then called the front desk and spoke with the manager who said that there must be an "error in the system" because they were all sold out. I once again explained that I could go to SPG.com and book the suite for the entire length of my stay. He then told me that "it was impossible" and that there must be an error.

Just to make a point, I made sure to tell him that I had read all these above posts which pointed to the same excuse/error having occurred in the past.
Either the staff was outright lying to me or something needs to be done regarding the system. If I had booked the suite on-line and walked up to the front desk only to be told that no suites were available, I would be angry.

Thanks for letting me vent
To make you feel worse (sorry..) I stayed there from 12/28 to 12/30 and was given an upgrade to a beautiful suite
Old Jan 2, 2007, 9:32 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by couscous
To make you feel worse (sorry..) I stayed there from 12/28 to 12/30 and was given an upgrade to a beautiful suite
Doesn't make me feel worse at all. Just a problem when there is a holding back of suites and deliberately not telling the truth about availability. Either that or there is a computer booking problem.

On the happier side, I was upgraded to a suite on New Year's Eve in Madrid on a points stay. It was awesome. Just wish that there was a fair and balanced method for everyone Gold, Platinum, etc. whenever there is a room available.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA MMGold, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
I will be in Barcelona next week for 2 nights stay at Le Meridien Barcelona. First time in the city. Wondering what's the best way to get to the hotel from BCN airport and how long it takes? Arrival is around 9:30PM so hopefully no traffic and can get to the hotel quickly. Thanks for the info.

Last edited by wendySFO; Feb 17, 2007 at 10:05 pm
Old Feb 18, 2007, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Originally Posted by wendySFO
I will be in Barcelona next week for 2 nights stay at Le Meridien Barcelona. First time in the city. Wondering what's the best way to get to the hotel from BCN airport and how long it takes? Arrival is around 9:30PM so hopefully no traffic and can get to the hotel quickly. Thanks for the info.
I'm sure many will tell you to take a taxi,-- but there is an airport bus whose last stop is about a 5 min walk from Le Meridien. So unless you have a lot of luggage, or prefer a cab, I would suggest taking the bus. It shouldn't take more than 20-30 minutes however you go.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by mauld
I'm sure many will tell you to take a taxi,-- but there is an airport bus whose last stop is about a 5 min walk from Le Meridien. So unless you have a lot of luggage, or prefer a cab, I would suggest taking the bus. It shouldn't take more than 20-30 minutes however you go.
Thanks for the info. I took the bus (A1 line) at the airport right in front of the exit door to the end of the bus line(about 25 minutes), walk towards La Ramblas to the hotel (about less than 10 minutes). Was quite easy and it is 3.9 Euro. Took Taxi when go back to airport, took about 30 min early morning with no traffic, paid 34 Euro.

The hotel stay was very good. Was upgraded to a suite. Service is excellent with great staff.

I also got a Le Meridian Bear with my stay, very cute bear. Is this new or just I haven't stayed with Le Meridian for soooo long?
Old Mar 5, 2007, 10:23 am

Hello,

My family and I have a trip booked staying at Le Meridien in Barcelona in a couple of weeks. How bad is the construction currently, i have read that all availiable rooms have been renovated. Is it worth upgrading one of our rooms for a room with a balcony...what room would you recommend we ask for? & my main question to those who have recently stayed there is the type of food served in the restaurant for breakfast and dinner, how much this costs, and is it worth it??

Thanks
Old Mar 16, 2007, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by mantao
Hello,

My family and I have a trip booked staying at Le Meridien in Barcelona in a couple of weeks. How bad is the construction currently, i have read that all availiable rooms have been renovated. Is it worth upgrading one of our rooms for a room with a balcony...what room would you recommend we ask for? & my main question to those who have recently stayed there is the type of food served in the restaurant for breakfast and dinner, how much this costs, and is it worth it??

Thanks
Welcome to FT mantao!

Did not notice any construction when I was there in late Feburary but I was hardly in the hotel so not sure what went on during the day.

I had an upgrade, very nice suite and large bath with tub/shower, good supply of tolietry. It has windows overlook the La Ramblas, heard no street noise due to two windows installed.

Didn't have a chance to try hotel restaurant. Since it is located in La Ramblas, there are many food choices in the surrounding area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.