Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

LEFT MARCH 31, 2009: Palace Hotel, Copenhagen [Master Thread]

LEFT MARCH 31, 2009: Palace Hotel, Copenhagen [Master Thread]

Old Mar 8, 2007, 3:12 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
I staryed at this hotel last week and it us a dump with the exception of the renovate rooms. I as a Plat got a new room my colleague as a gold got one of the worst hotel rooms I have seen in a long time.

All the public areas need some serious updating which is happening slowly. The new room was very nice apart from it was at the back of the hotel and the noise at 5 in the morning was very bad. A annoying problems also was that the new LCD TV was so dam quiet even with the volume on max I could not hear it.

Overall great location but that is about it.
Old Mar 8, 2007, 4:14 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
They are renovating the rooms on a wing by wing basis from speaking to one of the staff there. Basically if you want a good, renovated room then you need to get a superior room. Some execs have been done, but the classics are definitely awaiting refurbishment.

As a Gold I don't risk an upgrade and just pay for the superior room to avoid disappointment.
Old Mar 8, 2007, 8:23 am

Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
As a Plt, I don't risk disappointment.....

I stay at the Hilton or the Admiral.
Old Mar 8, 2007, 8:44 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by BigBopper
As a Plt, I don't risk disappointment.....

I stay at the Hilton or the Admiral.
Well that is the alternative approach. In my case I need the nights to make PLT this year so can't escape to another hotel!
Old Jul 15, 2007, 5:25 pm

I normally don't read much on Hotel reviews here on FT. I should in the future.

I just stayed at The Palace Hotel in Copenhagen this past weekend. My flight from the US got in early morning -- so I was at the hotel shortly after 0900. NO such luck with early check-in. I left my bags, and tried at 1100, 1300, and finally was able to get my room at 1500.

Had I not been in desparate need of a shower and some sleep I probably would have left and gone to a different hotel.

I was in the Ginger Rogers Suite on the Ambassodor level (first floor -- one level above ground). Big room but VERY hold. Bathroom was lousy -- tiny tub/shower, and the shower curtain kept drifting in to the already small tub.

Awesome location, I just hope you get a better room than I did.

I paid over $500 US for the two nights. Not sure how that happened (Exchange Rate?)... Defintely was high for what I got -- even for Denmark.
Old Jul 15, 2007, 6:46 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by AArlington
Awesome location, I just hope you get a better room than I did.
Until the entire hotel gets a good renovation, what you got is about the norm for "good" at this property -- a property which I generally avoid.

Originally Posted by AArlington
I paid over $500 US for the two nights. Not sure how that happened (Exchange Rate?)... Defintely was high for what I got -- even for Denmark.
1250-1400DKK is about the norm for Copenhagen hotel rooms during the busier times of the year/week. When it comes to hotels, Copenhagen is not a great city for value at the upper end -- and you would do better bidding on Priceline at $160 or less.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 4:00 pm

Programs: CM Presidential, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Honestly, this is a VERY old hotel in a so-so location for Copenhagen today. Honestly, I think this property should be avoided if at all possible. I like SPG points, but not that much that I would stay here before it undergoes a full renovation.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 6:58 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
I'm curious why the previous poster claimed that this hotel was in a so-so location -- that's not the opinion of many. Any futher comment?

In any case, the hotel says it's on track to complete total renovations by summer 2008. By its own admission, things had gotten downright bad. And, by all reports, the newly completed rooms are stellar.

Stay tuned.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
It's a so so location in summer. Why? The same reason it's a good location. It's located on a main square. While the square is close to things like the Stroget, Tivoli Gardens and a short walk to the Round Tower and other sites it also gets large crowds when it's warm. Those large crowds are loud at night! With no air conditioning, you have no choice but to keep the window open. Also in the square (right outside the Ambassodor rooms) is the town clock which rings every 15 minutes from early morning until midnight.

Another downside about the location is the fact that large crowds leave big messes! I travel to Denmark regularly as my parent company is Danish. On my first trip there for an interview I remember thinking how clean, friendly and safe the city was. I took my wife and parents last July, stayed two nights at the Palace and all three complained the about the trash the following morning. Not to mention the 7 or 8 different drunks we saw urinating withing feet of the hotel!

Finally, the area directly next to the hotel has a 7-11, Ripleys Believe it or Not, Burger King and KFC. Not exactly classy!

I would also like to question the judgement of the renovations. They're starting with the least desireable wing (as told to me by the GM on my last stay). The last wing to be completed will be the area with the ambassador suites, lobby and restaurant. ... are you thinking???? Go from worst to best? Doesn't this punish your most loyal and highest paying customers?

On a positive note, I've heard from a colleague that the renovated rooms are fairly nice.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 10:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat
If you are willing to spend a "bit" more for a wonderful hotel in an amazing location, check out the Hotel D'Angleterre. We spend a few days there in March, and it was great.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 3:11 am

Programs: UA (1k) lifetime gold, AA (EP), Starwood (Life Plat), Hilton (Gold)
The place stinks

I stayed there twice. The first time was ok. Old room but bearable.

The last time I stayed there in June was the pits. No upgrade. I was up on the top floor. No AC. The room was unbearably hot. I asked for a fan. They didnt have any. I ended up sleeping on the heavenly floor.

I will never stay at this property again. Im beginning to think my status as a Platinum for 4 years means nothing in Europe. Was treated pretty shabbily in Stockholm and Venice as well.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by jcherney
If you are willing to spend a "bit" more for a wonderful hotel in an amazing location, check out the Hotel D'Angleterre. We spend a few days there in March, and it was great.
While the D'angleterre is in a nice area (the opposite end of the pedestrian throughrowfare STRGET) on the Kongens Nytorv, it is an overrated "old box" that badly needs renovation. Some rooms are indeed very smal.

The problem is that Copenhagen does not have a real five-star hotel and hasn't had one mor decades. Your best bet for modern hotels are the Mariott and the Hilton (at the airport).
Old Jul 17, 2007, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by BigBopper
It's a so so location in summer. Why? The same reason it's a good location. It's located on a main square. While the square is close to things like the Stroget, Tivoli Gardens and a short walk to the Round Tower and other sites it also gets large crowds when it's warm. Those large crowds are loud at night! With no air conditioning, you have no choice but to keep the window open. Also in the square (right outside the Ambassodor rooms) is the town clock which rings every 15 minutes from early morning until midnight.

Another downside about the location is the fact that large crowds leave big messes! I travel to Denmark regularly as my parent company is Danish. On my first trip there for an interview I remember thinking how clean, friendly and safe the city was. I took my wife and parents last July, stayed two nights at the Palace and all three complained the about the trash the following morning. Not to mention the 7 or 8 different drunks we saw urinating withing feet of the hotel!

Finally, the area directly next to the hotel has a 7-11, Ripleys Believe it or Not, Burger King and KFC. Not exactly classy!

I would also like to question the judgement of the renovations. They're starting with the least desireable wing (as told to me by the GM on my last stay). The last wing to be completed will be the area with the ambassador suites, lobby and restaurant. ... are you thinking???? Go from worst to best? Doesn't this punish your most loyal and highest paying customers?

On a positive note, I've heard from a colleague that the renovated rooms are fairly nice.
I could not have said it better myself ^
Old Jul 17, 2007, 9:44 am

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Alright, but for someone visiting CPH for, say 2 or 3 days, who was looking to get in some quality sightseeing, I still maintain that you'd be hard pressed to find a more centrally located hotel in the city. And, I'll add that the room renovations are total top-to-bottom renovations that are taking this hotel from ultra tired and worn out to exceptionally modern.

I also wonder why on earth the bottom rung rooms were renovated first and not the higher level ones, but I'm pleased to know that within a year, it will all be completed.

And, for the record, isn't central AC being added as these renovations take place?

If so, all these efforts would address:

- the tired rooms
- the noise levels due to open windows / no ac

Isn't that a huge step forward?!?
Old Jul 17, 2007, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by sbtinme
Alright

That the operative word here

, but for someone visiting CPH for, say 2 or 3 days, who was looking to get in some quality sightseeing, I still maintain that you'd be hard pressed to find a more centrally located hotel in the city.

If you mean SPG hotel, then yes. Otherwise there are many other equally well located hotels If you need a list let me know.

And, I'll add that the room renovations are total top-to-bottom renovations that are taking this hotel from ultra tired and worn out to exceptionally modern.

I also wonder why on earth the bottom rung rooms were renovated first and not the higher level ones, but I'm pleased to know that within a year, it will all be completed.

And, for the record, isn't central AC being added as these renovations take place?

If so, all these efforts would address:

- the tired rooms
- the noise levels due to open windows / no ac

Isn't that a huge step forward?!?

Yes of course, and this would even have me thinking of going back. But it still does not change the "so-so" location I spoke about and that others have so eloquently addressed for both its positive and negative sides

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.