Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Jersey City, NJ [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Jersey City, NJ [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2011, 5:27 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Can anyone who stayed here recentl comment on the relative safety of the area surrounding the hotel? I haven't been to Jersey City in some time but all I remember is it being a rough neighborhood. Staying there this weekend for a wedding...
Old Aug 2, 2011, 6:57 am

Programs: CO Silver, HH Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by mh3265a
Can anyone who stayed here recentl comment on the relative safety of the area surrounding the hotel? I haven't been to Jersey City in some time but all I remember is it being a rough neighborhood. Staying there this weekend for a wedding...
jersey city has come a LONG WAY!! nothing to worry about in the newport section. there's a promenade across the street that leads to the water with restaurants, starbucks, condos, office buildings and a view of the city - do not be concerned about walking around here at night, it's usually packed with people especially on the weekends. have fun at the wedding!
Old Aug 2, 2011, 8:32 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by bkgourmet
jersey city has come a LONG WAY!! nothing to worry about in the newport section. there's a promenade across the street that leads to the water with restaurants, starbucks, condos, office buildings and a view of the city - do not be concerned about walking around here at night, it's usually packed with people especially on the weekends. have fun at the wedding!
Outstanding! Thanks for the intel. We're very much looking forward to this wedding.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 3:05 pm

Had a great stay at the Westin Jersey City! One of the cleanest hotels I've ever stayed at and in a great area with easy transit access options and not far from EWR.

My only problem with the hotel was lack of "preferred room" upgrades and acknowledgement of Starwood status. Also, the concierge people were not helpful in trying to get umbrellas or other questions we had about the area.

The restaurant and bar staff were great though. Would definitely stay there again if I had business in NYC because it's right by PATH.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 7:49 pm

Programs: CO Silver, HH Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by mh3265a
Had a great stay at the Westin Jersey City! One of the cleanest hotels I've ever stayed at and in a great area with easy transit access options and not far from EWR.

My only problem with the hotel was lack of "preferred room" upgrades and acknowledgement of Starwood status. Also, the concierge people were not helpful in trying to get umbrellas or other questions we had about the area.

The restaurant and bar staff were great though. Would definitely stay there again if I had business in NYC because it's right by PATH.

sorry to hear that they weren't up to par.....i have never had that problem - i usually put people up there when they are visitng me and even thought i use points for their rooms, they always recognize platinum. too bad about the concierge - geez!

well, if you or anyone on FT ever need specifics about the area or some help, please PM me and i would be happy to help.....
Old Oct 21, 2011, 5:10 am

Programs: SPG Gold, IHG Plat
Just an FYI - the workout room will be closed next week starting Monday, October 24 and reopening Saturday, October 29.

Edit: They offered access to a nearby gym during the renovations. Kudos to the hotel for handling it well.

Last edited by drew47; Oct 27, 2011 at 5:28 am
Old Oct 21, 2011, 7:49 am

I stayed here few days ago. very nice and clean Westin. the room is very well maintained. got upgraded to a very nice corner suite with some nice views of Manhattan and Hudson river. the concierge was excellent. I had some issues in scanning some documents, the concierge took care of everything. the food and service at Fire & Oak was super. Platinum members get a grab and go breakfast coupon/s. it is good for one drink and one breakfast item.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 4:21 pm

Always have platinum status acknowledged here and treated very well although there has been a big change in front desk staffing, many new people I don't know. Concierge always helpful but I've never needed anything special. Among the nicest places to stay in the Newark/Hoboken/Jersey City area.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 9:30 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles PM, Starwood SPG Platinum, Hilton HH Honors, UA MP Silver, EK Skywards Silver
Staying here next week. I usually stay at the W Hoboken, but unfortunately it was booked during my required dates so I'll have to give the Westin Newport a try. Will post a detailed review upon my return!
Old Jul 15, 2012, 5:23 am

Programs: CX Gold, United Gold, BA Gold, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by stylo4444
Staying here next week. I usually stay at the W Hoboken, but unfortunately it was booked during my required dates so I'll have to give the Westin Newport a try. Will post a detailed review upon my return!
Curious to hear your review. Also curious to hear the contrast between W Hoboken and this property.

I am going to be in NYC with my 12 year old son and was considering these properties over the more expensive options in the city.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 10:28 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Starwood Preferred Guest Platinum
I'm an infrequent poster here but must reply to this thread.

A week ago, I had one of the very best Platinum experiences ever. Stayed here for just one night - a Wednesday. Was recognized immediately as a Platinum and after requesting Suite upgrade, was told they had already upgraded me. Very nice.

It gets better. I walk into the room, a terrific welcome gift is on the desk: bottle of wine, cheese and fruit plate, and hand-written welcome note from the GM.

I walk to my bed, look out window to a spectacular view across the water of the World Trade Center. Saw the sun rise over Manhattan the next morning as I woke up. Great service in the restaurant during breakfast and in the bar the night before.

Whatever Platinum issues this property had in the past were non-existent. I'm not a VIP of any type and just a standard Platinum. I'll be back again -- most definitely. Congrats to the entire staff for an A+ experience.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 6:07 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
Originally Posted by Swellfam
I'm an infrequent poster here but must reply to this thread.

A week ago, I had one of the very best Platinum experiences ever. Stayed here for just one night - a Wednesday. Was recognized immediately as a Platinum and after requesting Suite upgrade, was told they had already upgraded me. Very nice.

It gets better. I walk into the room, a terrific welcome gift is on the desk: bottle of wine, cheese and fruit plate, and hand-written welcome note from the GM.

I walk to my bed, look out window to a spectacular view across the water of the World Trade Center. Saw the sun rise over Manhattan the next morning as I woke up. Great service in the restaurant during breakfast and in the bar the night before.

Whatever Platinum issues this property had in the past were non-existent. I'm not a VIP of any type and just a standard Platinum. I'll be back again -- most definitely. Congrats to the entire staff for an A+ experience.
Awesome to hear. I just booked 2 rooms, 3 nights for next month. Hope to use a SUG for one room.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 6:01 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
Does anyone know what the Suite upgrade is here? Junior or better?
Old Jul 7, 2013, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by truequant
Curious to hear your review. Also curious to hear the contrast between W Hoboken and this property.

I am going to be in NYC with my 12 year old son and was considering these properties over the more expensive options in the city.
The W Hoboken is fundamentally in a better location IMO. Both locations are safe, convenient to access NYC via the PATH train or bus (if at W in Hoboken) and a fine alternative to NYC. That being said, Hoboken just has more going on than Jersey City. The W sits right on the waterfront, near tons of good bars and restaurants and is more walking-friendly if staying by the hotel. The Westin sits close to the Newport Mall and the Newport waterfront, but is not as "hip" of an area as Hoboken. I don't think you can go wrong with either if you are spending most of your time in NYC, but if the price difference isn't vast, I personally feel the W is a better experience.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Checked in last night/this morning and was upgraded to room 2101...a Junior suite with great views of the city.
Hotel is very clean, and the standard modern Westin decor.

For those asking, the area is feels very safe and is more like being in a business park.

Taking advantage of my 4PM check out as my appointment for today got bumped.

Great hotel, would stay again in a heart beat...especially for the $159 rate I got! :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.