Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Jersey City, NJ [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Jersey City, NJ [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2009, 3:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Not quite right. They have the option to open one if they wish. I haven't seen any new builds that have taken up that option. In fact some that had opted to recently closed theirs. But, it doesn't mean that it is out of the question entirely.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
I stand corrected^. Thanks!

I didn't search for the answer, was going of my faulty twisted memory. LOL
Old Mar 25, 2009, 4:39 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Not quite right. They have the option to open one if they wish. I haven't seen any new builds that have taken up that option. In fact some that had opted to recently closed theirs. But, it doesn't mean that it is out of the question entirely.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Thanks for clarifying William.

However, why would Westin's be given the option to not have or even to close down their lounges? Surely, this is reducing the 'allure' of staying at Westins not to mention reducing the complementary lounge access benefit for platinums.

Apart from the obvious cost savings what's the business logic begind this?
Old Mar 25, 2009, 10:43 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
Thanks for clarifying William.

However, why would Westin's be given the option to not have or even to close down their lounges? Surely, this is reducing the 'allure' of staying at Westins not to mention reducing the complementary lounge access benefit for platinums.

Apart from the obvious cost savings what's the business logic begind this?
Well, here is my best guess: The idea is to attract more hotel owners to brand as Westin hotels. The less autonomy they have in making their own business decisions, the less attractive you become as a franchise or manager. So, if it makes sense to the hotel owner to have a lounge, then we have a set of criteria to govern how it should be set up and run. If it doesn't make sense to them, and they opt not to have one or even close the one they had, then that is fine as well.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Jul 2, 2009, 1:35 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Maybe the Lurkers can chime in on this, if I understand correctly, part of the brand standards for Westin Hotels is the Heavenly Shower which contains two shower heads correct? On my recent stay at this property, I was given one of the corner rooms (not the connecting part though as one other poster was) and the shower only had a single shower head. The corner rooms are also poorly set up with the smart jack unit as the desk is too far from the television for them to connect the panel.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 1:56 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by bulldoggolfer05
Maybe the Lurkers can chime in on this, if I understand correctly, part of the brand standards for Westin Hotels is the Heavenly Shower which contains two shower heads correct? On my recent stay at this property, I was given one of the corner rooms (not the connecting part though as one other poster was) and the shower only had a single shower head...
Hard to say really. Exceptions to brand standards for good reason are made every day. What did the hotel management have to say about this?

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Jul 2, 2009, 2:07 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
In dealing with other design/service issues at checkout it slipped my mind to inquire about this, so shall definitely do such next time I visit (or if I can find the business card, might shoot an email). As a huge credit to the hotel though, the front desk staff and managers are excellent ^.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 12:44 pm

just completed a 2 night stay here.

excellent hotel. fantastic staff, as platinum member got upgraded to a very spacious suite. it is a bed room connecting to a living room with a dining table. everything is new here as this property just opened last march. very nice direct views of hudson river and manhattan.

did not have much time to explore the area but it is very clean and safe.

will definitely stay here again
Old Oct 11, 2009, 1:12 pm

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ
Originally Posted by KSA_USA
just completed a 2 night stay here.

excellent hotel. fantastic staff, as platinum member got upgraded to a very spacious suite. it is a bed room connecting to a living room with a dining table. everything is new here as this property just opened last march. very nice direct views of hudson river and manhattan.

did not have much time to explore the area but it is very clean and safe.

will definitely stay here again
Have you ever stayed at W hoboken. There is also another thread but I'm wondering whether to stay at Westin or W - price might decide!!
Old Oct 11, 2009, 7:35 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by terminalfive
Have you ever stayed at W hoboken. There is also another thread but I'm wondering whether to stay at Westin or W - price might decide!!
Originally Posted by terminalfive
I just moved back to the city and have been staying in Jersey since my lease doesn't start for another few days.

I spent 7 nights in the Westin, and found it to be quite nice. The rooms are very nice. Although still corporate feeling, there are nice touches such as solid (oak?) doors that make the room pretty warm.

Meaningful upgrades have been non-existent. I've stayed 4 times and received 1 standard room and 3 "deluxe" rooms. Even the front desk associate acknowledged that the "deluxe" room was a standard room on a higher floor.

I also experienced a few service flaws. Of the 5 wakeup calls I ordered, 3 were missed and 1 was significantly late. I also received a wakeup call that I didn't order. When I told the women who was calling (no, its not automated) that I didn't order a wakeup call, she responded, "I know sir, but everybody recieves a wakeup call at 9AM" @:-) Upon bringing this to the manger's attention, he gave me 1000 points and free internet for my next stay.

There is no lounge, but they give out free breakfast coupon that cover both tax and tip^ The buffet consists of pastries, an omelet bar, and a few other dishes I can't remember at the moment.

I love the rooms, breakfast, location, and value at the Westin. The wake up call issue was annoying, but the manger handled it well.

I decided to try to W Hoboken tonight and am loving the suite upgrade. I great views of both Downtown and Midtown, a balcony and two bathrooms. The staff seems friendly, but I haven't been here long enough to comment on the service.

You can't go wrong with either hotel. If you are going to midtown on the weekends, the W might be better due to PATH schedule issues. Otherwise, it is a toss up IMHO.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 7:38 pm

No i did not stay at the W. i am not a W fan. i dont like ultra dark places, so for me W would be my second last option (FP is the last). having said that i do like W Hong Kong a lot.

i reserved the Park and explore package. it comes with free valet parking($28 value) and a metro card ($10). they also give platinum members free breakfast either at the Buffet ( half moon) or room service.

internet either wired or wireless is $10/24 hr. i think there is a free internet in the lobby but just for 1 hr, i am not sure.

very nice hotel and very nice suite upgrade.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 9:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by KSA_USA
No i did not stay at the W. i am not a W fan. i dont like ultra dark places, so for me W would be my second last option (FP is the last). having said that i do like W Hong Kong a lot.

i reserved the Park and explore package. it comes with free valet parking($28 value) and a metro card ($10). they also give platinum members free breakfast either at the Buffet ( half moon) or room service.

internet either wired or wireless is $10/24 hr. i think there is a free internet in the lobby but just for 1 hr, i am not sure.

very nice hotel and very nice suite upgrade.
FWIW -- The W Hoboken is not decorated in dark colors -- actually light colors. Others have posted pictues of the room on its master thread.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
FWIW -- The W Hoboken is not decorated in dark colors -- actually light colors. Others have posted pictues of the room on its master thread.

True. did not realize it. next time i am in NJ i will definitely try it. thanks for your post.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 8:37 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
About ground transportation to hotel from JFK.

How could I get here other than taking a cab? The PATH to/from Manhattan noted. Thanks.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 7:19 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
I did the Path/LIRR combo on the worst possible day/time combo(weekend early am flight)and still made it.The key here is to make sure you can handle your luggage.I had a heavy full size rolling bag and that made the trip a small hassle.If your bag is easily portable you should be fine.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 1:31 pm

Programs: US Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Had a really nice stay here last night. Had Room 1200 which is front facing towards Manhattan, a very nice sized room and a soaking tub with views of the city as well. I checked in around 3:30 and as a Gold was told that I was upgraded to the front facing room. Took the PATH into the city and stayed there until about 10:30. Got back to the room and found a six pack of Heineken and a bowl of peanuts from the Hotel Manager. A very nice gift!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.