Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Can you transfer points to another person? (2006 onward) [Master Thread]

FAQ: Can you transfer points to another person? (2006 onward) [Master Thread]

Old May 30, 2006, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Exclamation FAQ: Can you transfer points to another person? (2006 onward) [Master Thread]

Can you transfer points from one spg account to another?

I was able to find verbage that would let you buy points a s gift for someone but not transfer points to someone else.

Anyone have any ideas on how to do this?
Old May 30, 2006, 1:27 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by starpage
Can you transfer points from one spg account to another?

I was able to find verbage that would let you buy points a s gift for someone but not transfer points to someone else.

You cannot do this unless it is a spouse, living at the same address.

You can buy points, up to a fairly low maximum (something like 15K per calendar year). You can also use your own points to make a free night reservation for someone else.

What, specifically, are you trying to accomplish?
Old May 30, 2006, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by starpage
Very simple to do if the accounts share a common mailing address. Mrs. bseller's last name is different than mine, but I transfer points from her account to mine on a regular basis, just need to talk to the PlatCon. Best wishes, Dave
Old May 30, 2006, 2:05 pm

you dont need to talk to the plat concierge

any res agent can do it. you just need the full details of each account inc password.

and both addresses need to match
Old May 30, 2006, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
You cannot do this unless it is a spouse, living at the same address.

You can buy points, up to a fairly low maximum (something like 15K per calendar year). You can also use your own points to make a free night reservation for someone else.

What, specifically, are you trying to accomplish?

Basically someone owes me points from a travel barter..they don't live at the same address that I do..

most likely it sounds like they will have to make a land reservation for me to square things up..

sp
Old May 30, 2006, 7:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tinkybelle
you dont need to talk to the plat concierge

any res agent can do it. you just need the full details of each account inc password.

and both addresses need to match
is there a charge to do this?
Old May 30, 2006, 8:18 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
FWIW, if the recipient goes online and changes his or her address to yours, you can make the transfer. Wait a few weeks and change the address back. No harm, no foul.
Old Jun 3, 2006, 6:47 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by stevens397
FWIW, if the recipient goes online and changes his or her address to yours, you can make the transfer. Wait a few weeks and change the address back. No harm, no foul.
"May 30, 06 2:27 pm
AZ Travels the World Quote:

...You cannot do this unless it is a spouse, living at the same address..."

Actually, I would guess that SPG would think that this is a "foul." However, I am very happy that SPG has taken the liberal stance that no marriage certificate is required for those of us who aren't (or can't, as the case may be) married.

From SPG T&C: "Starpoints may be transferred between two designated Program accounts sharing the same residential mailing address..."
Old Jun 3, 2006, 9:16 am

yes you can transfer points as long as the address is the same. If my friend lived with me I could put points in his account. Does not matter who it is, as long as the address is the same. I can put points in my friends mothers dogs account if we live at the same address
Old Jun 3, 2006, 7:44 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Arrow

Originally Posted by bigjim
"May 30, 06 2:27 pm
AZ Travels the World Quote:

...You cannot do this unless it is a spouse, living at the same address..."

Actually, I would guess that SPG would think that this is a "foul." However, I am very happy that SPG has taken the liberal stance that no marriage certificate is required for those of us who aren't (or can't, as the case may be) married.

From SPG T&C: "Starpoints may be transferred between two designated Program accounts sharing the same residential mailing address..."
Nowhere does it say 'spouse'. It can be another family member, or a permanent or temporary roommate, like a cousin or friend who comes to visit.

Too bad *wood is not like Marriott or Hyatt, where points can be transferred 2 anyone. Although marriott.com says 'spouse,' CS says anyone.
At least *wood has no fee, unlike HHonors & Priority Club, whose nasty transfer fees is one-third to half the value of the darn points !
Old Jun 4, 2006, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by psychtobe
is there a charge to do this?
There was no charge last time I did it in 2005.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 8:37 am

Combine Account/Transfer Points

Hi All,

I have a birthday celebration coming up at a Sheraton Hotel. Each of the 5 family and friends will have their own room and pay for their own room. They are all not really interested in loyalty programs, and can't be bothered with it.

Will it work if...

1. I open SPG accounts for each of them and put my address on file.
2. Get them to use their new SPG number at checkin.
3. Later after all stays/points are posted, transfer the points to my account, using the Combine Account menu option at SPG.com?

I read in the terms and conditions that accounts must have the same address. Are there any other conditions? Is there a limit on the number of accounts you can transfer from? Does the last name of the accounts have to be the same?

I assume only points can be transferred, not stays credits.

Thanks!
Old Aug 2, 2006, 9:00 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
You will not be able to use the "combine accounts" option online. This is for when you happen to have 2 accounts in your name.

However, you can call and get the points transferred from one account to another - as long as you have the same address. One issue that might come up is having one address on the SPG account and a different address for credit card / reservation. You might be better off having them get the SPG account at their own address and then, at a later date, change the address to match yours.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 12:26 pm

Combine two SPG account or Points transfer?

My gf and I have two SPG AMEX card and two SPG account. Can we combine the two SPG account (in different names) and get all the points? Thanks a lot!
Old Sep 30, 2006, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by RedLancer
My gf and I have two SPG AMEX card and two SPG account. Can we combine the two SPG account (in different names) and get all the points? Thanks a lot!
I am not sure how that would work out, it is a somewhat interesting question. I think it might be possible to call SPG and say your going to be married (whether or not it's true) and ask that the accounts be merged. I know you can merge accounts, as I apparently had 3 Gold accounts with them through various airline comps and merged them into one earlier this year.

I would try the whole marriage card and see where you get. Let me know I am kind of intrigued.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.