Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Can you transfer points to another person? (2006 onward) [Master Thread]

FAQ: Can you transfer points to another person? (2006 onward) [Master Thread]

Old Mar 24, 2008, 12:14 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum, Avis First
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker II
Hi suburbia,
Yes, but you have to write in to SPG or call your nearest Customer Contact Centre to do that.
Thanks for the quick reply! One follow-up question (probably a stupid one): In other words, Starwood account and points never expire?
Old Mar 24, 2008, 1:16 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by suburbia
Thanks for the quick reply! One follow-up question (probably a stupid one): In other words, Starwood account and points never expire?
Not as long as you keep your account active. One eligible stay posted to your account in a rolling calendar year should ensure that your account is kept active.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Mar 24, 2008, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by MoreMiles!
If the last names are identical, the transfer from SPG should work as well. I've deposited miles into some of my wife's FF accounts a few times.
You've been extremely lucky then. 99.9 times out of a hundred, the airline will reject a transfer if both the first and last names don't match identically.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Apr 2, 2008, 2:43 pm

Programs: spg gold
starwood miles transfer

Can i transfer starwood points to anyones frequent flyer account.
(from wife to mine)
Old Apr 2, 2008, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by jkoenig51
Can i transfer starwood points to anyones frequent flyer account.
(from wife to mine)
No, you can transfer Starpoints from your SPG account to your airline frequent flyer account and she can transfer to hers from her SPG account. But, you can't transfer from your SPG account to her frequent flyer account.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Apr 2, 2008, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
No, you can transfer Starpoints from your SPG account to your airline frequent flyer account and she can transfer to hers from her SPG account. But, you can't transfer from your SPG account to her frequent flyer account.
And, if you have the same account address, you can transfer *points between SPG accounts. It adds an extra step, but it lets you achieve the same end result. The only potential downside is that the minimum transfer amount is higher on a Preferred account than it is on Gold or Platinum.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
You have to work this one backwards.

In the end, whose FF account should get the miles? That is the person who should transfer SPG points into their own FF account. And the other spouse should transfer his/her SPG points into the spouse's account.

However, as soitgoes suggests, the transfer ratio points to miles is higher if one spouse is elite level.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 4:21 pm

What happens if one transfers the points to a frequent flyer with different name and address and gets a confirmation? Will the points be returned to the original Starpoint owner?

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Apr 2, 2008, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by broadwayboy
What happens if one transfers the points to a frequent flyer with different name and address and gets a confirmation? Will the points be returned to the original Starpoint owner?
Yes, once they crawl across 50 yards of ground glass.

Seriously, though, do you think we would just keep the points once it was reported to us?

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Apr 2, 2008, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA PLT (MM), UA 1K, Marriott Ti, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by kevinsac
However, as soitgoes suggests, the transfer ratio points to miles is higher if one spouse is elite level.
Is this true??? I thought it was 1:1 with a 5k bonus for every 20k for everyone... I thought the only benefit for elites is they can cash in a lower # of points (lower minimums)
Old Apr 2, 2008, 5:56 pm

I have a Starwood account and get most of my miles from charges on my AMEX Starwood card. My wife has a secondary card (the one that often gets the most use!) on that account. We have the same last name and address (guess we are just old fashion that way).

I always thought that I could transfer Starwood points to frequent flyer programs in either of our names. I have never needed to do this as I usually just have award tickets issued as needed using points in my account.

In the past I have transferred AMEX MR points to her FF account and been told as long as she has a card on the account that it is legal. Is Starwood different?
Old Apr 2, 2008, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by mshaikun
...Is Starwood different?
Well, let's just say that the legal agreement between Starwood and the airlines does not match your experience with AMEX MR. If the accounts and/or names don't match, they (the airlines) are going to reject the transfer 99.99999% of the time.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Apr 2, 2008, 7:14 pm

Thanks. If it is not proper, we do not even want to try. I assume AMEX MR is different because I asked them before doing the transfer. They are a credit card company dealing with their own points. You are a hotel based point program with the credit card just one way to get points so the rule could be different.

Can you really move Starwood points between husband / wife accounts? If so, I might just get her her own account just in case I ever need to do a legal transfer from me to her to a ff program.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA, AS, BA, DL Plat, Chase UR, Diners, UA, F9, WN, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Amex MR.
Originally Posted by technique
Is this true??? I thought it was 1:1 with a 5k bonus for every 20k for everyone... I thought the only benefit for elites is they can cash in a lower # of points (lower minimums)
Is this true?
Old Apr 2, 2008, 10:15 pm

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by kevinsac
I don't think that is what soitgoes is referring to. This should be what he meant.

Minimum Transfer amount is based on member level
o 2,500 for Preferred, Preferred Plus and Corporate
o 1,500 for Gold
o 1 for Platinum

Thank you and have a nice day!

[email protected]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.