Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Can you transfer points to another person? (2006 onward) [Master Thread]

FAQ: Can you transfer points to another person? (2006 onward) [Master Thread]

Old Nov 20, 2006, 11:27 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Here is the applicable rule:

2.5. Starpoints may be transferred between two designated Program accounts sharing the same residential mailing address with the exception of Starwood Vacation Ownership Preferred Guest accounts. Starwood Vacation Ownership Owners (“Owners”) may transfer Starpoints between two designated Starwood Vacation Ownership Preferred Guest accounts, regardless of whether the accounts have the same residential mailing address.

If you transfer Starpoints to an airline frequent flyer account that is not your own, the airline will reject the transfer and the points/miles will end up in limbo.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Nov 20, 2006, 1:06 pm

Programs: SPG: Platinum, Hilton: Silver, Hertz: 5 Star Gold, PC: Gold
What about designated program accounts sharing the same last name? To take a family vacation my family was hoping to pool all our starwood points as we all travel often. Three different addresses but everyone has the same last name?

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
As usual, the answer lies in the Terms and Conditions of Membership in SPG. Here they are for your convenience:

2.5. Starpoints may be transferred between two designated Program accounts sharing the same residential mailing address with the exception of Starwood Vacation Ownership Preferred Guest accounts. Starwood Vacation Ownership Owners (“Owners”) may transfer Starpoints between two designated Starwood Vacation Ownership Preferred Guest accounts, regardless of whether the accounts have the same residential mailing address.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Nov 20, 2006, 1:34 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by ForensicTraveler
What about designated program accounts sharing the same last name? To take a family vacation my family was hoping to pool all our starwood points as we all travel often. Three different addresses but everyone has the same last name?
Sorry, but the accounts have to have the same mailing address, unless you are an SVO owner and have designated accordingly.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Nov 20, 2006, 10:04 pm

So I guess it is feasible to change the statement address on Amex.com, which is easy and fast, and then transfer the reward points. And after that, change the statement address back. Shouldn't be a problem at all.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 10:48 am

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Originally Posted by threeuncle
So I guess it is feasible to change the statement address on Amex.com, which is easy and fast, and then transfer the reward points. And after that, change the statement address back. Shouldn't be a problem at all.
I don't think the Amex statement address has any bearing on SPG points & transfers of same. You'd have to change your address with Starwood. I'd assume that a change, followed by a transfer, followed by a change back might draw some attention.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 11:53 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Right on, Mbreuer! It's the addresses on the *wood acct.s which must match.
I suppose one should wait a week before changing the address back to normal, as if one honestly stayed at a friend's/ relative's home for a week, during which s/he found out that his/her host needed some *points.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 4:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
If you transfer Starpoints to an airline frequent flyer account that is not your own, the airline will reject the transfer and the points/miles will end up in limbo.
I managed to get 20,000 miles in limbo like this... does anyone know how to get them out of limbo (either direction)?
Old Nov 23, 2006, 7:02 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
925, just call SPG to say that the transfer order hasn't gone thru & U would like to cancel it & reclaim your Starpoints. If necessary U can then say U didn't know the own-account-only rule;
OR U 'accidentally' mixed up a friend's FF# with your own when placing the order.
Old Mar 28, 2007, 12:07 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Hyatt Diamond Hilton Gold SPG Gold National Executive Avis Preferred Hertz Gold
Point transfer into wifes frequent flyer account

I am primary *wood AMEX cardholder---my wife also has a card which earns miles on the same card. Can I/we transfer points to airline miles in her frequent flyer account? Thanks
Old Mar 28, 2007, 5:51 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
You'll both need an SPG Account with the same address. You'll transfer the points from your account to hers and then into her frequent flyer account. The name on the SPG Account and the airline account need to match up.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 12:19 pm

I need to either (i) transfer some points into my husband's SPG account (newly delinked from Delta, which is why we never used his account) or (ii) get him a new *wood Amex (which may make sense anyway because I think we may want to start to use his account). Which credits more quickly - a point transfer between accounts or the Amex bonus?
Old Apr 5, 2007, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kersie
Which credits more quickly - a point transfer between accounts or the Amex bonus?
A point transfer between accounts happens very quickly (sometimes instantaneously).

the sign-up bonus points usually post after the close of the first statement
Old Apr 12, 2007, 6:33 pm

Point transfer in a divorce

I am getting divorced and my soon-to-be-ex wants half of my Starwood points (along with 90% of all my money, but that's a different story). Starwood's site says that they don't allow transfers to third parties. Do they make exceptions for divorce? Does anyone know what it costs?

The only thread I could find was 5 years old and clearly full of inaccurate information.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by jragosta
I am getting divorced and my soon-to-be-ex wants half of my Starwood points (along with 90% of all my money, but that's a different story). Starwood's site says that they don't allow transfers to third parties. Do they make exceptions for divorce? Does anyone know what it costs?

The only thread I could find was 5 years old and clearly full of inaccurate information.
Hi,

Sorry to hear about your money, I know different story. As for the points if you two still have the same home address then you can just do an internal transfer to her account. If not the same address which I would guess is the case then a copy of the divorce agreement stating what the ex is to receive and a request by you with your SPG # her SPG #, password to your account sent to Program Services should do it. Just make sure you have a clear amount to be transferred over as some agreements state a percentage and as you have points added to your account and taken out if for an award stay or such then the amount varies and this can cause alot of headaches. Hope this info helps. Take care and good luck.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 4:54 pm

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
Transfer starpoints between members

Did a search, but too many results. Just like to know if it's possible to transfer starpoints between members, and how to do it. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.