Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Can you transfer points to another person? (2006 onward) [Master Thread]

FAQ: Can you transfer points to another person? (2006 onward) [Master Thread]

Old Sep 30, 2006, 1:47 pm

Programs: AC - SE, SPG - Platinum, HGP - Diamond
You don't have to get so fancy. According to SPG, they can move points between accounts under the following conditions:

1. Parties live at same address (it's easy to change your address with SPG)
2. You know the account # of each party
3. You know the passwords for each party.

I transfer points from my wife's account (different last name) to my account every month with no problem whatsoever.

Originally Posted by mzkaiser
I am not sure how that would work out, it is a somewhat interesting question. I think it might be possible to call SPG and say your going to be married (whether or not it's true) and ask that the accounts be merged. I know you can merge accounts, as I apparently had 3 Gold accounts with them through various airline comps and merged them into one earlier this year.

I would try the whole marriage card and see where you get. Let me know I am kind of intrigued.
Old Oct 1, 2006, 10:07 am

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by wolvie007
I transfer points from my wife's account (different last name) to my account every month with no problem whatsoever.
Do you use the "Combine Accounts" option on the web site? I want to move my wife's points over but the term "Combine Accounts" scares me a little. I would rather it read "Transfer Points".
Old Oct 1, 2006, 10:12 am

Programs: AC - SE, SPG - Platinum, HGP - Diamond
I have no idea what Combine Accounts relates to. I call into SPG every time I want to make the transfer. It only takes a few minutes.

Originally Posted by PantyWaster
Do you use the "Combine Accounts" option on the web site? I want to move my wife's points over but the term "Combine Accounts" scares me a little. I would rather it read "Transfer Points".
Old Oct 1, 2006, 8:37 pm

Its Easy and instantaneous

Called SPG with the account #, password and answer to secret question and the rep transfered the points -- the points immediately showed up on my account
Old Oct 2, 2006, 12:16 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by wolvie007
I have no idea what Combine Accounts relates to...
You use Combine Accounts when/if a duplicate account is made in your name. You should not use it - in fact, cannot use it - to combine two accounts with different names, even if they have the same address.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Nov 3, 2006, 11:28 pm

Programs: AA, NW
Is there any restriction on amount or frequency of transfer between two members?

After reading threads in this forum, my understanding is one can transfer spg points into another person's spg account as long as they share the same address. My question is whether there is any restriction on how often one can make a transfer and the max/min amount of points are allowed for each transfer. Thanks.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 7:21 am

Programs: Aeroplan; Milage Plan; Hhonors;
Trade or Transfer?

Hi

I am not sure the best way to do this, but is it easier to transfer SPG Points to another member or simply make a reservation on their behalf?

I am looking to trade Hilton Hhonors points (or nights) in return for 3 nights in a Catagory 4 Westin.

Suggestions?

Steve

Last edited by AZ Travels the World; Nov 16, 2006 at 9:43 am
Old Nov 16, 2006, 9:17 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by OnMedic
Hi

I am not sure the best way to do this, but is it easier to transfer SPG Points to another member or simply make a reservation on their behalf?

I am looking to trade Hilton Hhonors points (or nights) in return for 3 nights in a Catagory 4 Westin.

Suggestions? Takers?

Steve
The only way to transfer Starpoints to another member is if that member has the same mailing address. While I know for a fact that some people temporarily change their mailing address to affect such a transfer, I can assure you that it does not go unnoticed. In the most abusive situations, accounts have been closed and Starpoints forfeited.

So, in light of all that, I think the safest (best?) way would be to make a reservation on their behalf and a call to the Customer Contact Center is the best way to get it done.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Nov 20, 2006, 6:42 am

Programs: AA LTGLD, DL PLT, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Starpoints transfer to someone else's account?

I'd like to transfer starpoints to another person, either
-to their starpoints account or
-their AAdvantage account.
I haven't found anything on the spg website about transfer to other SPG accounts, but for airlines they just want the FF number... does the receiving account have to be mine?

Thanks!
Old Nov 20, 2006, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

you can transfer starpoints to someone at the same home/billing address.

or if you are an SVO owner, you can transfer to anyone.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 8:06 am

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
or if you are an SVO owner, you can transfer to anyone.
I didn't know this - can you point me to the T&C that state it?
Old Nov 20, 2006, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mbreuer
I didn't know this - can you point me to the T&C that state it?
nope, sorry, no clue where i saw the actual starwood wording. you can always have it confirmed in starwood forum.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 10:26 am

Programs: SPG Plat and that is that!
i thought svo owners could transfer to other svo owners, not to just anyone. don 't both parties need to be SVO or else its a no go?

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
nope, sorry, no clue where i saw the actual starwood wording. you can always have it confirmed in starwood forum.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 10:30 am

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
can SVO owners transfer spg points to anyone?

Kagehitokiri, over in Milesbuzz (http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=627099), reports that SVO owners can transfer SPG points to anyone, not just within one's household. Can anyone confirm this, and if true reference the actual T&C? I don't recall seeing this anywhere. I did search & review the FAQ.

Thanks.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 10:34 am
RLG

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA Plat, UA Silver, AS MVP, HA premier
Originally Posted by EC Traveler
i thought svo owners could transfer to other svo owners, not to just anyone. don 't both parties need to be SVO or else its a no go?
If anyone is successful in confirming what the actual T&C's are on this, please post in this thread so future searchers can find the answer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.