Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Rome: General Discussion Thread (Where should I stay? Which hotel is better? etc.)

Rome: General Discussion Thread (Where should I stay? Which hotel is better? etc.)

Old Apr 25, 2003, 1:25 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JOUY31:
I, and only I, have been naive.
</font>
Welcome to the club! I'm a proud member, too.
Old Apr 25, 2003, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA, HH, Starwood, Hyatt, Marriott
JOUY31:

Thanks for the response. I did INDEED misread your tone. My apologies. I thought you were being sarcastic . . . You were being literal. Thank you for the input.

------------------
AA EXP, 1MM, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum
Old Apr 28, 2003, 2:37 pm

Just to update you all on our return; we chose neither the Westin nor the St. Regis in Rome. We ended up for 5 nights (decided to stay whole time in Rome) in the Intercontinental Ville de Roma (directly next door to the Hassler), thanks to Manku's suggestion. Our Six Continents card enabled us to upgrade to 2 adjoining balcony rooms, overlooking the Spanish Steps. Took a quick tour of the St Regis and Westin, and while lovely, they were quite a bit out of the way for us. Was very happy with our selection, as more time was spent on those balconies than anywhere else in the hotel.

As a side note, we had also just come from the Grande Bretagne in Athens. Certainly one of the best hotels I have had the pleasure of visiting. Cannot wait to return!

Robin
Old May 6, 2003, 9:26 am

Programs: AA, HH, Starwood, Hyatt, Marriott
After a wonderful week in Italia. . . I'm back. We were quite pleased with the Excelsior. We were put in a room on the Via Veneto side of the hotel, since there were no Junior Suites available. They did volunteer to put us in a Jr. Suite on day 2, but we didn't bother since were already settled into our room. The room itself was fine. We had a bit of a challenge with the bathroom lightsone morning, but it was taken care of immediately and apologetically.

I don't remember who it was that dissed the lobby, but thot it was the PERFECT place to meet with clients. Simply elegant.

I'll confess, I was a bit disappointed with the Godiva chocolates as Platinum amenity - and the fact that there was no breakfast... but frankly, I don't expect many freebies when I'm on a reward stay, and the breakfast void is Westin-wide, if I'm not mistaken.

Bottom line, if you want a luxurious, convenient property, with professional and courteous staff - I would highly recommend the Excelsior.

------------------
AA EXP, 1MM, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum
Old May 6, 2003, 10:02 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Jills:

...and the breakfast void is Westin-wide, if I'm not mistaken...
</font>
There's no free breakfast - Starwood-wide (there are lounges that offer free breakfast and some hotels do it, too. But the T&C don't have the free breakfast).
Old May 18, 2003, 6:18 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Any suggestion on transportation options from/to FCO and Westin Rome? I understand that taxi service is kind of expensive, what about car service? Will they meet at
the airport?
What about the train/metro? I will have heavy baggage, so not too excited about connecting from train to the metro...

Thanks for any recommendations.
Old May 19, 2003, 2:24 pm
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
no longer endorse the car service that i originally posted...

Last edited by sk3; Jul 20, 2004 at 4:32 pm
Old Jan 15, 2004, 3:16 pm
Suspended

Lots of info on the topic here, but you'll find that the St.Regis is perhaps a 5 minute further walk to Trevi than the Westin. The Westin is very close to Spanish Steps. I love the St.Regis, but have tried all the Rome hotels (except for Golf).

St.Regis: My personal fav in Rome. Love the rooms, service, location (near Brioni), just love it.

Westin: very nice, service was poor on my first visit, but after speaking with managment team, my second stay was outstanding. The hotel is larger than St.Regis, and not quite as impressive in terms of decor, but still most acceptable.

Sheraton: Further removed from the action, BUT does offer free airport AND downtown shuttle (similar to Hilton Cavalier), both take about 30 minutes depending on traffic. Fantastic lounge with very impressive spread, nice pool area and decent service. If you had some kids 7-10 I would recommend this hotel, as it would cater to them more than the other Starwoods.

4-PTs: Excellent value, drink coupons on check-in, nice rooms. Shuttle to airport and town, but further removed from area. I would recommend this hotel if you get in late on the first night or for the last night of your stay before flying out. Excellent price, great service, in new building.
Really just too far removed to enjoy central Rome though if the intent is to explore the old city.

email me if you would like more Rome info and be advised that priceline offers some good options for downtown Rome.
Old Feb 13, 2004, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K3MM
Rome St. Regis vs. Westin

I am trying to decide which hotel is better for location and more suitable for a big wedding anniversary (romance) - also, first timer to Rome. SPG Gold member

Thanks for the advice.

------------------
UA 1k Hilton Diamond
Old Feb 13, 2004, 3:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
The Westin is much better located - on the Via Veneto.

The St. Regis gets better reviews but it's location is not as good.

That's not much help is it?

Old Feb 13, 2004, 4:11 pm

More advice: Do a search.
Old Feb 13, 2004, 4:39 pm

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
Hey neighbor.. I will be staying at the Westin next month on a romantic weekend and will keep you posted. In the meantime, utilize the search function for others opinions..
Old Feb 13, 2004, 4:46 pm

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
Oh and I forgot, Welcome to Flyertalk.
Old Feb 13, 2004, 11:44 pm
Suspended

Indeed, welcomee Suiteflyer. You'll find you've asked a question about 2 of the most possibly discussed hotels on this. There is no end to the reports. Don't expect much from "gold" in Rome. Usually a lot of Plats are battling it out for the limited upgrades at these hotels
Old Feb 14, 2004, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K3MM
Thanks for the advice and the welcome.

Will report back.

------------------
UA 1k Hilton Diamond

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.