Westin LAX [Master Thread]

Old May 16, 2006, 8:50 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Lightbulb The Sigh Club

Originally Posted by gleff
Sure, service needs improvement, and a good GM can fix that.

But the hotel needs some serious capital improvements and that takes real $.

Many on FT have been burned over and over with this property so I guess there's just a rather high bar before returning. Many would rather stay at the Four Points, let alone the Sheraton whose renovations made it the property of choice at LAX.
Understood fully.
Thanks for that healthy challenge.Here is my two cents on the topic.
And I think you know personally I have been a vocal critic of the Westin LAX hotel especially in the past year
(and an elite VIP member there of the Had A Rotten Stay Club) in the past.
Yes improvements must still follow as well as increased benefits to level the playing field of the excellent delivery like the Sheraton Gateway property and other area hotels outside of the Starwood LAX properties.
Capital improvements and other new possibilities are in the works.As I understand it those improvements clearly are supposed to happen in the near future to the best of my understanding.
Including the possibility of a new restaurant group to run the dining facilities Like for example the Sheraton Gateway Shula’s partnership in the lobby

Now I am not in a position to bash the Four Points who did a fine job this year at the Freddie’s however the fact is the beds are simply not in the league of the Sheraton Gateway (Sweet Sleeper) the number one Starwood Property at LAX or The Westin (Heavenly) the number two Starwood LAX property kinda sorta

Also if one dines in the hotel something that clearly matters to me Sheraton Gateway and the Westin are better by a land slide.
The walls at the Four Points are thin which makes for a noisy evening while sleeping.
Speaking of Capital improvements the Four Points is in dire need to fix the painfully slow scary bouncy elevators, health club improvements, odors in hotel hallways, air ventilation and service levels overall. All of which are still a cut below the Sheraton and Westin LAX.
And the cost of the Four Points is frequently close to the same as the other LAX properties.

Now I try to say all that as respectfully as possible.
With the appointment of the new General Manager at the Westin LAX I have trust that if Starwood won’t always do the right thing anymore for its customers he will at least while in house at the Westin.Something that was not going to happen with the former regime.
And for this poster trust (ability to resolve and or recover from problems) is the factor which makes or breaks my purchase decisions each and every time all over the world. Tied of course is quality/value, and then without question miles and point promos You can live or die by offering them.
Somewhat OFF topic Starwood has triple points targeted this month .
Hilton has free nights/ double miles/double points (members choice) to anyone that asks their FT /Agent Lurker.
Hilton has my business primarily locked up through 7-31-06 with 2000 miles per stay and 15 points per dollar spent among other excellent partner perks and benefits in house.So most Starwood properties will be off limits.

As I said in my post no one waved a magic wand at the Westin LAX
However the hope is clearly there now and there was little to none prior last year as you and many in this community were well aware. Many of us voted with our feet and wallets elsewhere.
I will consider them now even if some in the community choose never to forgive (understood)
It is a fair and viable alternative IMO based on price(sometimes the lower cost option) The Sheraton Gateway LAX is without a doubt numero uno and continues to do an excellent job ^
I thought this new appointment at the Westin was noteworthy news after years of nothing but pages of Westin LAX bashing.

Perhaps I have merely opened up an old can of worms here.
Quite frankly Starwood has been painfully slow in recent years to listen and react to customer concerns.
It is clear to me that Starwood did not lose the Freddies because they continue to use targeted marketing solely.
The word is Starwood is considering reacting now and in more areas of operations in and out of its hotels.
Time will clearly tell all or if the Westin LAX becomes the next Ramada INN

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; May 16, 2006 at 9:05 am
Old May 16, 2006, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by freeupgrade
When the Westin LAX gets its act together and does the following, I would think about staying there:

1. Get food in lounge on the 12th floor. Right now, its a total joke.

2. Fix the jacuzzi outside.

3. Fix airport shuttle frequency.

I'm happy you enjoyed your dinner, yet it takes a lot more than that.
Agree ^
Old May 16, 2006, 9:07 am

Airport Shuttle

I generally like the LAX Westin. They have treated me well. The new SPG elite check-in area is super. One can walk to Dennys or McDonalds! The pool is decent.

For me the most frustrating part of a LAX Westin stay has been the frequency of airport shuttles. After a 4-6 hour flight to LAX, I want to get to the hotel. It is really fustrating to wait while watching multiple vans for the Marriott or the Sheraton Gateway.
Old May 16, 2006, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by observer
I generally like the LAX Westin. They have treated me well. The new SPG elite check-in area is super. One can walk to Dennys or McDonalds! The pool is decent.

For me the most frustrating part of a LAX Westin stay has been the frequency of airport shuttles. After a 4-6 hour flight to LAX, I want to get to the hotel. It is really fustrating to wait while watching multiple vans for the Marriott or the Sheraton Gateway.
Agree 100% A past and present problem/The good news or the bad is they are getting rid of the shuttle completely.

From what I understand it will be replaced with a share hotel shuttle that will stop at one other hotel along the way.Based on the quality of that new offering and the frequency I won't speculate on better or worse.
Early on I am negative.
But I will keep an open mind.For example I find the hotel hoppa at London Heathrow so unsatisfactory compared to individual hotel shuttles I simply connect or use flights strategically to avoid overnighting in Heathrow Hotels at all.
I went from 8 nights a year there to none.
Old May 16, 2006, 9:27 am

I stayed here a few weeks ago and will be staying again next week; also made reservations for some co-workers. On my last trip I had a club room and saw no advantage to it. The next trip I have a workout room, which I haven't had yet and thought would be cool to try (any feedback on these?).

With my multiple bookings I had multiple changes to which SPG customer support was worthless. My requests were forwarded via email to the hotel and an employee was just awesome working with me to straighten everything out. If SPG Lurker is reading this thread, I'd really like to commend this woman for her help.

Besides the worthless club floor, my only complaint is the slow valet. Even with just a few cars coming around it seemed like there was always a 15 minute wait for my vehicle - even with calling ahead! And, of course, when I was trying to catch my flight (running late, as usual) they brought out the wrong car (a minivan) with "This isn't your car, is it? I remember you had the Z" - Correct! If you remembered elsewise why did you bring it??
Old May 16, 2006, 10:05 am

Programs: all the big ones.. no LCCs for me
For me, it will take a year or more of consistently positive reviews by a multitude of flyertalkers for me to even consider this place. I'll use the old saying, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.. unfortunately for me, i've shamed my self a few times by trying this dump more than once.

That said, when the above items do get fixed, the service comes up to par at least with a motel 6 and they get a lounge well that I would actually call a lounge, then it will come back to my radar.

This place can change the GM, the entire staff and get new cooks, but thats not good enough for me anymore, I want results and consistent results at that.

I still have this place on the No F'in way would I even want to drive by this place much less stay in it.
Old May 16, 2006, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
they are getting rid of the shuttle completely.

From what I understand it will be replaced with a share hotel shuttle that will stop at one other hotel along the way.
!!!!

Old May 16, 2006, 10:51 am

Wink One can always walk

Originally Posted by gleff
!!!!

:eek:

Can you repeat that last remark fine sir?
uh oh can of worms number two?Is it to late to delete this entire thread?
You've maxed out your smilies elite privileges in that last post
I take it you don't approve.
The Westin San Francisco did this years ago and I admit I never returned.
After a long day of flying I want in ASAP.

That information about the LAX shuttle wasn't from the GM and I should have clarified the info that was brought to my attention from a front line.
Hopefully I am wrong here (sigh)
You must admit the Westin LAX is a hotel that creates much engaging dialogue

There must be a reason folks like to beat them up the most.
They were the poster child at one time for a badly managed hotel.There is clearly waaaaaaaaay worse out there.
Once again the old management is gone for good.
Let's give them a fighting chance even if we monitor and watch others report and be the next mystery shopper/guinea pigs

If they return the guest body after the stay we will know the stay was a success!
That is of course only if the points post too
Old May 16, 2006, 11:48 am

Programs: all the big ones.. no LCCs for me
don't you mean: they ARE still the poster chicld for a badly managed hotel

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
They were the poster child at one time for a badly managed hotel.
Old May 16, 2006, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by JoeBagodonuts
don't you mean: they ARE still the poster chicld for a badly managed hotel
Absolutely who would we whip if we lost them?
Old Jun 12, 2006, 6:16 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by freeupgrade
When the Westin LAX gets its act together and does the following, I would think about staying there:

1. Get food in lounge on the 12th floor. Right now, its a total joke.

2. Fix the jacuzzi outside.

3. Fix airport shuttle frequency.

I'm happy you enjoyed your dinner, yet it takes a lot more than that.
Just had a stay, "special" registration/checkin area for plats, golds was not open when I arrived at 11pm.

no worries as there were only 2 people in line ahead of me. Seeing as I was taking the shuttle to the airport the next morning, I asked on frequency. I was told every 10-15 minutes.

Received room on 12th floor, I love the beds here. Good blackout curtains.

The next morning is when the problem happened.

Had a 6am flight, showed up downstairs at 4:33am, asked the bellman when the next shuttle would arrive 10-15 minutes he said.

At 4:55am, shuttle picks us up, BUT repeat BUT, then goes on to collect guests from 2 other LAX properties.

Finally get dropped off at United ticketing at 5:15am. THANKFULLY I was flying an airline where I have some status so was able to use the premium line or else I would have been screwed.

The shuttle situation sucks!!!!!!, which is a shame as I like most else about the property.

So word of warning, as I had not seen this posted. The shuttle used is a multi-property shuttle and takes much longer to get to the airport than the old shuttle that was for the Westin LAX only.

--

Last edited by Sweet Willie; Jun 12, 2006 at 8:43 pm
Old Jun 12, 2006, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HH Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium
http://www.lawa.org/news/newsDisplay.cfm?newsID=790

9 Gateway LAX hotels joined the consolidated hotel courtesy bus program.

1 bus is provided for every 3 hotels. So, I guess the Westin LAX is the first stop for departures and the last for arrivals.

I think the Four Points is in the program as well. I'm not sure about the Sheraton. I guess we'll have to account for the extra time lost picking up guests at other hotels.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, UA Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond/Ambassador, Hyatt Explor
It will take more than good food to get my business back. I agree the lounge needs improvement, some snacks would be nice. Always had my own car, so didn't use the shuttle service in the past. Free wireless in the lobby is great! As for now, Sheraton Gateway and 4 Points are my two SPG choices near LAX.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 10:13 pm

Sheraton still has their own shuttle until their contract with the parking lot ends. So does Radisson.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 11:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
The Westin LAX is the favorite whipping boy for that area, but its an airport a hotel and I think that it does a great job for the price. Particularly after staying at a few airport hotels on my last trip, I gained new appreciation for the Westin LAX.

Please consider

Most Westin don't even have lounges.
Even hotels with lounges don't keep them open 24/7
Even fewer have free Internet in these lounges 24/7

I mean, where else can you get an apple and bottle of water at 3a.m. without calling room service.

Last time I was there I checked in 11pm and they automatically upgraded me to a Jacuzzi suite. Suite upgrades are more plentiful here than any other Westin I have every stayed at.

Fully staffed Gold/Plat check-in with fruit, coffee, tea, television, and free internet for 18 hours a day.

The hotel has its problems including

Ordinary restaurant
Hideos room decor

I personally don't care about the restaurant as I don't eat in hotel restaurants as a rule. But the dark wood decor has got to go.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.