Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Turin: Art+Tech or Lingotto? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Le Meridien Turin: Art+Tech or Lingotto? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2006, 8:04 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

Arrow Le Meridien Turin: Art+Tech or Lingotto? [Master Thread]

I seem to be spoiled for choice and cannot decide between the two. For a single night stay and to use primarily as a base to explore the city, is it worth paying EUR 45 more to stay at the Art + Tech?
Old May 2, 2006, 10:49 am

I've never stayed at either, but chose Art+Tech for a Cash & Points stay next month.

From what I could tell, the two hotels are very close together, so neither would be a "better" base for exploration. If that's your main criterion, then go with the cheaper option.
Old May 3, 2006, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
FWIW, on the Travel Channel today, Samantha Brown did Turin and stayed at the Lingotto. From what she showed of the hotel, it appears to be an ultra modern yet comfortable hotel in the city center. Very sleek and trendy looking.
Old May 3, 2006, 2:33 pm
Community Director Emerita

Here's an interesting comparison of the two:

"The first hotel converted from the Lingotto complex is the 4-star Le Meridien Lingotto and serves well the needs of trade shows and conferences at the Trade Fair and Convention Center. The 5-star Le Meridien Lingotto Art+Tech hotel, at the other end of the complex, is where extreme Italian design and ingenuity have joined together to create a hotel so unique that a stay here becomes a walk into the future. "

http://www.luxuryweb.com/html/le_mer...arts_tech.html
Old May 3, 2006, 3:40 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

Many thanks for your kind responses. Special thanks to SanDiego1K for finding and posting here what must be the most comprehensive comparative report on the two hotels.

Just half an hour ago, I received an email prompt from SPG and was set to book at the Lingotto. However, I found myself compelled to take a brief diversion to check in on this thread and now... I'm swinging towards the Art+Tech.
Old May 11, 2006, 2:30 pm

I've booked my own stay at the Art+Tech. Does anyone know how to reach the hotel (or Turin) coming from Malpensa, without renting a car? I understand there is a bus to Turin from Malpensa, but have been told that it begins at 11:30am. My flight is to arrive at 7:30am. Do I need to take the train to central Milan and then a train on to Turin?
Old May 11, 2006, 7:17 pm

Programs: SPG PLAT, AA PLAT
I stayed at the Lingotto last summer

I was unclear after reading the article above if it was referring to only the art + tech or both, because the description sounded a lot like the Lingotto. We very much enjoyed our stay. Our rooms were huge and beautifully appointed, you could have fit two regular rooms into just one of our rooms. The description about the high cielings, nice linens, internet access, toiletries, etc. all apply to the Lingotto. I really couldn't see a difference between them when I booked and so I chose the less expensive option. I wasn't sorry. Both hotels are connected to an "American Style" shopping mall and it was fun browsing it. There was a food court (Italian Style) and we enjoyed seeing the Italian vision.

In fact, we enjoyed our stay at the Lingotto so much that we plan to return this summer.

Sorry that I can't help with the transit issue, we drove. If I recall MXP correctly though, you need to take a taxi/bus to the central station in Milano then you can train to Torino.

Have fun.
Old May 21, 2006, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

The Art + Tech is a lovely hotel. The luxury web article may be a little out of date now. The selection of toiletries are usual Le Meridien stock and certainly not Hermes branded. Still, this didn't stop me from filling my toilet bag.

More worrying, I found the acoustic integrity of the room to be sorely lacking. This could just be an isolated case but when I woke up this morning I seriously thought I had an intruder. As I sturred, it became evident (much to my relief but no added comfort) that the source of the conversation was coming from the room next door. Seriously, if you need to conduct sensitive business discourse or indeed simply value your privacy then I'd think very carefully before using this hotel. Sorry to end on such a downer but its a fundamental issue, right?

Passed on my comments to the Hotel Direttori. Will forward his/her response if I receive anything.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 2:01 am

Programs: DL MM/FC/FO; UA PS; AA GLD
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I've booked my own stay at the Art+Tech. Does anyone know how to reach the hotel (or Turin) coming from Malpensa, without renting a car? I understand there is a bus to Turin from Malpensa, but have been told that it begins at 11:30am. My flight is to arrive at 7:30am. Do I need to take the train to central Milan and then a train on to Turin?
My Alitalia "flight" from Turin to MXP is a bus that leaves Turin around 5:00 pm and arrives at Malpensa arounrd 7:00. Does anyone know how to find it. The people at Alitalia seem clueless. The "airport code" is ZTC, and I think it is near the two hotels discussed in this thread. Also, I'm pretty sure it doesn't leave from the same place as the buses going to Casselle (TRN). Any help would be much appreciated.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 2:57 am
tyn

Stayed at the Art + Tech last weekend and loved it. Unusual hotel compared to the old fashioned properties Starwood has in Italy, very modern and amazing design. The place used to be part of the Fiat car factory.
Didn't experience the acoustic problems Prospero reported, just the occasional train whistle in the morning.
It is a bit out of the way but there are two buses that take you to the city centre in about 10 minutes, quick and easy
Large food court next door, a couple of pizzerias across the street.
Breakfast was nothing to write home about but decent enough.
Springsteen was staying there with his band
Old Mar 1, 2008, 5:44 am

Programs: EX˛-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Question Le Méridien Turin Art+Tech

Any recent news?

Upgrade policy?

I have seen, there is probably only one suite an the rest are executive rooms. Is this right?!

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Mar 1, 2008 at 7:10 am Reason: Merged into existing thread unedited
Old Mar 5, 2008, 12:34 am

Programs: IHG, CC, HH, AF, AA, UA
Hotel hopping between both hotels ?

Considering both hotels are so close to each other , what about hotel hopping between them ?

Would it be counted as separate stays ?

Thanks,
Yann
Old Mar 5, 2008, 12:49 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold, Flying Blue Platinum
Starwood Torino

Originally Posted by yann
Considering both hotels are so close to each other , what about hotel hopping between them ?

Would it be counted as separate stays ?

Thanks,
Yann
I am afraid I tried that, only to discover they shared the same reservation system so the two stays were merged in one, but that was a couple years ago so maybe it changed.

My two cents about those properties :

- The Lingotto is a congress center and is quite far from the city center. No metro there, only trams and buses, and at least 15 minutes to reach the center. Please note that is stands completely opposite sides of the city from the airport so it will cost at least 40€ to get there with a taxi.

- I do thing the Lingotto is better than the Art+Tech, even though the A+T gets the Hermes stuff and the Lingotto does not (shine, shine, little fifth star). The lobby is OK at the Lingotto and non-existent at the A+T (plus it's filled with panels welcoming delegates and cheap tables covered with welcome kits, when really there is not enough room for that). Front Desk is tiny and check out at peak out can be a lenghty experience.

- OK, I have to admit I find both hotels completely depressing The whole building was completely rehauled by Renzo Piano at the end of the 80's and boy it shows. If you are interested in architecture from the 80s it is actually very interesting (meaning : depressingly cold and sterile, but one has to see the sunny side of the street).

- The Lingotto looks more like a psychiatric ward for the elderly (including a pale green color scheme) and the A+T like a futuristic high security prison (in an early 90s movie). Corridors are wide and empty, ceiling are high and reverberating every noise, furniture is mostly metal, glass and architech lamps set in front of huge bay windows overlooking a former factory. Certainly a great place to be productive, but as a leisure destination I think not. On the plus side, it is so different than Torino as a city has to offer that there might be some balance to be found here... somewhere.

- Breakfast is equivalent in quality at both properties, the Lingotto being superior again IMHO, considering it takes place by windows in a more relaxed atmosphere. At the A+T you are in the prison central pit, with the ceiling 25 meters above your head and a few attempts at "warming the atmosphere" (a kilim carpet here, some "art" on the wall or a leather armchair there) only emphasize how chilly this huge empty space feels. Oh, and the breakfast staff sucks, too

Each time I am amazed that considering the space they had there is no pool. But the rooftop jogging track (on a former FIAT cars test drive circuit) is nice.

OK, enough .....ing, I need to be punished. I'll be there again in two weeks (Lingotto, of course!).
Old Mar 5, 2008, 1:06 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
I stayed in Sept. 2006 and wrote a review at the time. I enjoyed my stay, although i distinctly remember being told at the time on check-in that "Gold is nothing special, you must be Platinum to enjoy recognition". Other than that, no issues.

Le Meridien Turin - Lingotto- review
Old Mar 5, 2008, 1:12 pm

I haven't stayed here, though I had a booking a couple years back. Instead, I decided to spend extra time on Lake Como. You've now affirmed my decision.

Originally Posted by ericj
The Lingotto looks more like a psychiatric ward for the elderly (including a pale green color scheme) and the A+T like a futuristic high security prison (in an early 90s movie). Corridors are wide and empty, ceiling are high and reverberating every noise, furniture is mostly metal, glass and architech lamps set in front of huge bay windows overlooking a former factory.
You have written one of the best hotel descriptions I have seen in terms of being able to evoke the emotion that this place gave you. That is a fantastic write up!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.