Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Nuremberg: Le Meridien or Arabella Sheraton [Master Thread]

Nuremberg: Le Meridien or Arabella Sheraton [Master Thread]

Old Apr 16, 2008, 2:00 pm
Suspended

We stayed at Le Meridian in November and had was very pleased with our stay, great location and wonderful staff.. so the hotel looks 'older' but is that always a bad thing? In Europe I prefer a older hotel if I feel like I want 'new' I say at W in N.A.

mike
Old Apr 16, 2008, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1P MM, Hilton Dia, Mar Lifetime Gold, Hertz Gold
I was looking at the LM room choices and did not see a king bed - is there such a room?
Old Apr 17, 2008, 7:45 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by MIKEM
I was looking at the LM room choices and did not see a king bed - is there such a room?
Only in the Executive or Presidential suites.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Apr 17, 2008, 10:13 am

Programs: Bonvoy-Gold, HH-Gold, UA-Gold, *A-Gold
I have stayed at the Le Meridien in Nuremburg 3 times in the last 4 years. I like the hotel and the staff. 2 of the 3 times I was Plat and I got upgraded to a "suite"...usually a bigger room with at least a coffee table, sofa/loveseat and a larger bathroom plus free bottled water daily. The buffet breakfast there is excellent, however, expensive unless you get it included in the rate. Just beware, if you ask for a SINGLE room and you have no status, the rooms are really small, if you want space, pay the exta 10-20 euros for a double where you will get a bigger room.

The reason why we stay there is convenience. It's is right in front of the U-Bahn station, Hauptbahnhof (HBF) and a major Tram stop and a short walk to the Altstadt. The sheraton is a bit of a walk to the rail transport mentioned above and not as close and since I always go to Nuremburg for fairs at the Messe, easy access to the U-Bahn is more favorable than the newer Sheraton. The Grand Hotel is more older European Charm but it is still very nice.

- HF
Old Jun 2, 2008, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
I am at the LM Nuremberg right now: Oh my God ! It is 30 degrees (celcius) outside and my executive suite only has air con in the main living room but not the bedroom !

What a load of rubbish. I spoke to the front desk (very freindly by the way!) and they gave me a different suite, but same problem ...

They told me that they have a lot of complaints every summer as NOT ALL rooms have air con ! The hotel is too old to modify. So tonight I am paying €170 for a room which will be just as hot and humid as the IBIS next door for €79 ...

Won't be staying here again - at least not in summer.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rambuster
They told me that they have a lot of complaints every summer as NOT ALL rooms have air con !
They should really have that info on the Starwood website where they list "Air-Conditioned Room". http://www.starwoodhotels.com/lemeri...ropertyID=1854

If it's really that hot, I'd ask for a 'downgrade' to a non-suite room with aircon, ask for a fan, sleep on the couch, or ask for a rollaway bed for the living room.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
I asked for a rollaway for the living room !

The bartender told me that 18 years ago the hotel manager took the decision to install air con in the rooms, without having permission to do so. When his plan got found out the air con upgrades got stopped and that is why not all of the rooms have air con.

I would like to send the former GM a thank you note for pro-active measures ! Looks like he was ahead of his time !

BTW: If I click the SPG link, the German website states that the hotel has "rooms with air con". Looks like the assumption that ALL rooms therefore have air con is incorrect. It means SOME rooms have air con....others are just a CON !

Last edited by Rambuster; Jun 2, 2008 at 3:03 pm
Old Nov 30, 2008, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Currently I spent a night at the LM. Got upgraded from an Executive Room (108 Euro promo rate) to a Presidential Suite (304). Very nicely decorated and very currently renovated.

Location is ideal: I arrived in the evening at Nuremberg Central Station and the hotel is just across the road. I visited the X-mas markets. Pedestrian area begins just across the street. The next morning I took the subway U2 in front of the hotel which took me to the Airport in about 15 minutes.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 12:14 pm

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
I stayed recently in the Le Mridien Grand Hotel Nuremberg. I got upgraded to a renovated Junior Suite (with air-condition). They are still renovating 1st and 2nd floor.

Some pictures from my last stay
+ Good location with access to public transport.
+ I liked the remodelled interior though I had to get used to the room colours first.
- No lounge.
- No Spa, small fitness center only.
- Sound insulation of the windows could be better.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 7:30 am

Programs: LH Sen for life; QR Plat; FB Gold; Bonvoy Gold for life
I stayed at Le Meridien a couple of weeks ago and was very disappointed. You get the feeling Starwood want it to be in The Luxury Collection but it is just not good enough.

The hotel is very old fashioned. They have tried (without success) to modernise the rooms - the light fittings, the TV box on the wall and the massive "artwork" behind the bed just look out of place. The walls of the corridors on the bedroom floors are rough concrete painted yellow - and this is supposed to be a luxury hotel! There is only one lift so you may have to wait a long time.

My room was tiny (I was supposed to be in a 25 sqm "Deluxe Dream Room", I hate to think how small the 20 sqm "Superior Rooms" are). There was no room to easily get between the desk and the bed when the chair was tucked in under the desk. The bathroom was positively antique. There was no safe in the room, nor could I find the ipod docking station that was supposed to be there. The "high speed" internet is a total rip-off at EUR18 for 24 hrs. The fastest I saw (using Speedtest) was 110k and at most times it was less than 20k.

Service in the restaurant at breakfast time was unacceptable. There were, I think, 4 staff serving but they just ignored people who wanted coffee. Eventually I managed to get the attention of the supervisor who was on duty and she got one of the staff to bring coffee but by that time I had almost finished my breakfast.

Positives - the rate I paid was excellent value. The staff at reception and in the bar were very good and helpful.

In response to my review on Tripadvisor the hotel general manager apologised for the breakfast problem and said it was unfortunate I didn't like the design of the rooms. He made no attempt to address the specific issues such as safe, ipod dock and internet.

Next time I'm in Nuernberg I will go to the Sheraton.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 8:36 pm

OK Hotel

Hi Guys,
I have stayed in the LM Nuremberg at least 4 times in the last 6 months and have been meaning to contribute on my review. Overall, "OK" hotel. I agree, its Europe and all so it has its charm being old. But this hotel is old. For example, if you compare this against the LM in Vienna or LM or Munich, it has no comparisson. This sort of compares to the LM in Frankfurt, which to me is also a BIT old.

Anyway, I am an SPG Plat. So I got upgraded 3/4 times, which is great. The upgraded room is actually 2 tiny rooms being combined into 1. So its not that big, but its good. The living room is fine with a little couch and a desk. I don't think they have Kings in this hotel. Its usually, 2 single beds combined into 1. So it was not bad at all. I do not like the comforters in Germany as they are 2 single comforters and I always lose them at night

I thought breakfast was outrageous. Something like 20 or 25 Euros. I did that one day and then went around the corner to the town and ate there most often. The service was not that great for breakfast. You order your egg and then you have to get up and go get it...they just leave it outside. Weird.

The bar was actually OK at night to watch some sports.

Overall, aging hotel. Good location and people in the front desk are friendly. But the hotel needs a serious upgrade.

UALFLYER1
Old Mar 29, 2011, 1:48 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, Melia Platinum, SIXT Platinum, Accor Silver, Lufthansa FTL
The Le Meridien offers cheaper breakfast (15 EUR instead of 22 EUR) if you pay it in advance. Here's the website explaining the deal.

I will stay there in two days and will report back.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 2:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by UALFLYER1

Overall, aging hotel. Good location and people in the front desk are friendly. But the hotel needs a serious upgrade.

UALFLYER1
Only partly true.

Actually, the hotel was smart enough to realize that quite some people visit Nuremberg, because of its old world charme and tradition, therefore, the hotel only renovated a certain percentage of their rooms and suites following the new Le Meridien urban style.

The remaining rooms & suites only received a soft renovation ( e.g. TV sets, beds ) and remain very traditional.

The number of junior suites & standard suites is relatively high, so chances to score one are more than solid...
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:47 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, Melia Platinum, SIXT Platinum, Accor Silver, Lufthansa FTL
I arrived in the LGM a few hours ago and I am really impressed.

Very professional and quick check-in, junior suite upgrade, personal message from the GM plus an invitation for a free snack combined with a glas of wine or beer in the bar. 30 minutes after I entered the room, the front-desk called and asked whether everything was as it should be and whether I would like to have some coffee or tea.

Really great service and this for a 99EUR rate plus 15 EUR for breakfast. I will definitely be coming back.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 5:49 am

Programs: SPG Plat Lifetime, CX Diamond, LH SEN, TK Elite / *A Gold
The Sheraton is old but still has its appeal. The four times I stayed there in the last months I was lucky enough to get an upgrade to a huge exec. suite (always the same one), that from the second time I took the wife along, that she could make some use of it, while I only got to sleep there.

Yes, the hotel is somewhat older. I never encountered a renovated room. With enough space this "style" can be charming. I am not sure if it is the same in a small regular room. And especially in the bathroom a more modern approach would make much more sense.

Personal were great and very attentive. The GM took the time to shake hands the first two visits at arrival and stopped for a few words every time I walked by.

The price tag varies immensely. If you can score a decent rate and even an upgrade the place is absolutely a keeper. Otherwise I am not so sure. And LM is not really better.

- Location is great for business and vacation.
- Never had breakfast - and since you are in the heart of the city, go outside an enjoy breakfast in a nice cafe for a fraction of the hotel-price.
- Car parking service is neat and worked perfect.

All in all a place to come back.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.