Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Westin Los Cabos Resort Villas & Spa (was Cabo San Lucas) Mexico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 12, 2017, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
This property was the Westin Cabo San Lucas, which closed following hurricane damage in 2016 and reopened as the Westin Los Cabos Resort Villas & Spa in April 2017.
Print Wikipost

The Westin Los Cabos Resort Villas & Spa (was Cabo San Lucas) Mexico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2007, 7:03 pm

I will try to call Spg gold customer service....and see if I have a chance...

By the way FYI, I send an e-mail to the hotel, asking the same question and the response is...the upgrade is 2,750 additional points per night.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 11:15 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Gold, Hilton Silver, SPG Gold
Club Level worth it?

I booked a room using the SPG50 certificate with points and am thinking of paying the extra $30 to get the club level. Can someone go into a little more detail on the breakfast? Sorry for being picky, but my sister insists on being able to have a breakfast burrito every morning.

Also, are there some restaurants around the area (cheap, moderate, and expensive) that some would recommend?

Thanks and I look forward to the trip!
Old Mar 20, 2007, 10:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, National EE, Hertz PC
Im here at the Westin right now. The Royal Beach Club lounge today had scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, cereals, yogurt etc. From 5-7 PM yesterday they had mini sandwidches, fruit and vegie's, mini hot appetizers etc, and most importantly free beer cocktails and margahritas.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 6:34 am

The Westin Cabo San Lucas, Mexico (Master Thread)

(First part of this review was of Dreams Cabo, then the Westin)

Well, thanks to you folks we had a great time in Cabo San Lucas. We got to our first resort of "Dreams" and found the food pretty bad, ok, really bad. How can they charge $718 a nt?!? We didn't get it. We got a $525 rate through my company, and the whole trip there was free due to a contest I won at work for top sales, so we were grateful we didn't have to pay. We don't drink alcohol, so we didn't get that "money's worth" aspect from that either. Our room was directly in the center, oceanfront, in the "fishbowl" above the pool.

We loved the beach there even though it was unswimmable. So peaceful and quiet compared to most beaches we go to here on the east coast. We enjoyed the quiet pool on the far side of the resort but found the big pool too crowded and noisy. Tough to get chairs, so we played the game and got up at 7am and put down our books and towels early. Yes, we used them shortly after that. Nuff said about reserving chairs, that's beaten to death.

We did the swedish massage at Dreams and it was awesome. Best we've ever had. Also loved the salt scrub massage. Incredible. The horseback riding for 2 hours on the beach was pure ... torture! It killed my butt, legs, and bal** the entire time I was on the horse. I was dying when it was trotting. Wish I hadn't done this trip but the pics were great. Last time I ever horseback ride. I was aching for days and my wife got a huge purple and red bruise on her "lower area". She was in agony the next day. Maybe the saddles were screwed up?

Liked the day trip to Cabo San Jose and Cabo San Lucas. Expecially liked the quaintness of San Jose. The marina was really sweet in Cabo San Lucas.

We drove to Todos Santos one day on our own in a rental car and it was an excruciatingly long drive. Got lost in Cabo San Lucas by accident at the beginning of our journey and got really frustrated but we got back on track and were set. The drive was SOOOOO long to Todos Santos and we wish we didn't do it, but we did and had a great meal at Los Adobes I think it was called. Wonderful mexican food.

We checked out other hotels like Esperanza, Palmilla the one and only, and Las Ventanas (Rosewood Resort) and loved them all. Palmilla was the most incredible for views and beach though. We'd love to go back there one year but it's too rich for our bank account at $700+ a night in season.

Our $215 room at the Westin (1/2 price through a Starwood 50% off coupon was incredible, and MUCH nicer than Dreams. Loved the Arch architecture and our room while smaller than Dreams, but was outfitted much nicer. Our room at Dreams was downright shabby, with a lamp that was moldy and gross, a fridge that was rusted, and linens that were awfully scratchy. Westin was the opposite. They even upgraded us after one night due to an A/C problem to direct oceanfront in the Royal Club section so we had breakfast and dinner included for free! We were in heaven there. The pools and beach were fantastic, the staff was decent, and the barbque dinner buffet we paid for one night was excellent and at $39 each, kind of a bargain.

Here are our pics. Just type in my email address and then the password to view them:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePh...id=0&ownerid=0

[email protected] (email address)
555555 (password)

Cabo San Lucas was MUCH nicer than Positano, Italy that we visited for 5 nights last year. There was lots more to do (believe it or not), the beaches were light years better even though only the Hilton that I walked to from Dreams was swimmable, and the food was tremendous. I never thought food in Mexico would be so gourmet. Most everyone at the Westin was pleasant, and the lady Esther at the pool made our trip extra special. She got us chairs when there were literally none available, and when a wave came in out of nowhere and swept our stuff out to see, she was right there to retrieve it at the edge of the surf even though it took her 5 minutes to do so. Crazy surf they got there! We were in beach chairs at the edge of where the surf came in and wham, it flooded the whole part of the beach there.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

Steve and Julia R
Silver Spring, MD USA
Old Apr 18, 2007, 8:58 pm

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
I'll add a few comments from my and MrsXS trip to Westin Los Cabos a week earlier than the OP:

Yes, great property. Sure, a few minor things wrong (wobbling ceiling fan and a hyperactive air conditioner which dripped into the entryway, negating using either means of cooling, and no screen on the balcony door which was fine night one but had extra-large mosquitos nights 2 & 3). But everyone was lovely, helpful, accomodating. Property is beautiful.

Caution with the riptides and undertows. We got knocked over by a huge breaker while just walking ankle-deep at best along the surf, and the current was so strong we were grateful for the help from an attendant (there's no lifeguard) and a couple of guests to drag us back up!

It was our anniversary - I'd mentioned it on the reservation, and we arrived to a room with rose petals in a heart design totally covering the Heavenly Bed. BTW, the Heavenly Bed was a lot firmer than the ones in US Westins, but it was a pillowtop.

I'll second the rave on Los Adobes restaurant in Todos Santos. Unlike the OP I highly recommend the drive up the Pacific Coast to this small, expat arts community and old mission town. And this restaurant is far more real than the touristy Hotel California. Yeah, we made a couple of wrong turns getting on the road in Cabo San Lucas to go to Todos Santos. Coming from the Westin heading south, turn right at the Bull Ring.

Lovely trip, even with the breakers.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 11:00 pm

Thx for the comments, folks, and whoops - didn't know I shouldn't list my email address.

Oh well - live and learn. That's the only way I know how to share the pics, but I'll research it harder next time for alternative methods.

We did like the views on the way to Todos Santos but it was a LONG drive, much longer than the 45 minutes they told us it would be. With the trucks going all of 5 mph at some points up hills, it took a very long time.

Yeah, the waves and rip tides at the Westin Los Cabos were downright scary, so we didn't swim in it but just hung by the shore line and put our feet in just a bit. HUGE waves during certain parts of the day. They were so loud during the evening it felt like we were in a boat out on the open sea. Never heard such loud pounding waves from a hotel room before this. It was pretty cool, but very, very loud.

The room wasn't perfect by a long shot, but we enjoyed the spectacular setting and made the best of all it's deficiencies.

Steve R
Old Apr 19, 2007, 5:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by richiezc
do you have any status at SPG? I should probably search but I wonder what they do for Platinum guests.
Platinums receive Baja Suites if available. Even if not available expect to get a good ocean view room and complementary access to the Royal Beach Club. The RBC offers a free breakfast, usually scrambled eggs some breakfast meats fruit and loads of pastries. Later in the day they have complementary alcohol and appetizers. Our general rule of thumb since the food and drinks were free was to leave 10 USD for the server that did our drinks and cleared the table, and is a pretty good value and will ensure that the server will remember you the next day and make sure your taken care of. One thing we noticed is there food servers work very hard. We had one in particular who was our server at the RBC in the morning, lunch at La Playa, and dinner at La Cascada on our last day there, long story short he remembered us and we received a free bottle of champagne at the end of our meal which was a great way to top off the lobster tail buffet and our final night in Cabo. I will say I enjoyed this property but after Playing at Cabo Del Sol Ocean course which is at the Sheraton I would definitely try there next time. the grounds at the Sheraton are beautiful and the golf is amazing, plus your much closer to town and Mi Casa which even though really touristy is still alot of fun and they made me the best margarita i have ever tasted. It was made with a Tequila called Clase Azul. We had a group of 12 and it cost less than our meal for 6 at Arrecifes, and the food was pretty good and we consumed much more Alcohol than we did at Arrecifes, all in all a very good value.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 10:33 pm

We checked out the Sheraton and didn't think it compared to the Westin and it's dramatic views. The architecture made it for us, but maybe others wouldn't find it appealing. I've showed our pics to people and some thought it looked amazing (like us) and other's thought it was awful! It's certainly untraditional. Our room was fantastic. The free food at the beach club was great too and saved us a ton of money. Highly recommend this place. It cost us $219 a nt with our 50% off coupons 3 months ago.

Steve R
Silver Spring MD
Old Jun 28, 2007, 4:57 pm

Programs: Marriott - Titanium, AA - Lifetime Gold
Just returned from the Westin Cabo. It is a stunning building and all rooms have a direct ocean view. Service was excellent. Beach and Pool chairs were easily available and the hotel was 75% full. The waves are large and break very close to shore so it is not advised to go in the water. However, they are beautiful to watch and listen. Several infinity swimming pools are available and there even is an adults only pool with swim up bar.

SPG Platinum got us an upgrade (confirmed in advance by Platinum Concierge) to a junior suite. Junior suite was great and included Royal Beach Club treatment. Free breakfast as well as drinks and food from 5pm to 7pm.

The hotel is abit far out of town so cab rides are required.
The cabs are a real big expense and you cannot bargain.

The hotel does have a shuttle into town that runs every hour for $7 us per person each way.

Cab to hotel from airport: $65 us (cab unions)
Cab from hotel to airport: $28 us

Cab to Cabo San Lucas: $28 - $35 us each way.

If you like to party go to: Squid Roe.
Great meals at: The Office, Ednas, and Mi Casa.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 5:48 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Delta PM MM, Airtain Elite, Hilton Diamond, Avis First, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by b8b
So the RBC (what does that stand for) breakfast was free with your upgrade? How does that work? TIA.
RBC = Royal Beach Club, what many Westin resorts call their Club floor.

Typically RBC set-up at a Westin Resort is a lounge that offers free breakfast and appetizers and booze (sometimes just beer and wine and sometimes includes liquors) in the evening.

Platinum members are entitled to RBC lounge access regardless of room level booked or assigned.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 9:25 pm

We just returned from 7 nights at the Westin. By far we had one of the best hotel experiences in a very long time. If you have read my review from last years stay at the Royal Hawaiian I have to tell you that the Westin Cabo is the picture of how a hotel should be run.

We arranged transportation ahead of time. TransCabo met us on time, had cold drinks waiting and got us to the hotel in 30 minutes. (R/T Fare was $150 for a Suburban for the 5 of us.) For the return they were in the lobby on time and got us to the airport in air conditioned comfort on time.

Property is wonderful, staff very attentive and all the food we had was excellent except for the one restaurant they have open for breakfast. Maybe the food was ok but the sticker shock of the buffet put us off! The service around the pool was outstanding. Waiters were very attentitive and within a day had remembered our names. Food from the La Playa was high quality. We ate at their "fancy" restaurant that overlooks the beach and ocean and was blown away by the food quality.

However, we found Cabo itself to be VERY expensive. It's not the sleeply little Mexican resort it used to be. English is spoken almost everywhere and the US$ is more than welcome. In fact it was hard to pay in Pesos.

The RBC semed to be closed most days with a sign outside directing guests to the restaurant for a breakfast and evening appertisers.

Big drawback as others have said is you can not swim in the ocean. Even if you are a strong swimmer, the undertow is brutal. There is a very attentive lifeguard but even with him there you can get into trouble. For a couple of the days we went into Cabo and hung out at the Mango Deck while we did water activities (there are no Jet Skis or Para Sailing at the hotel.). The water was a lot more welcoming.

Last edited by sdix; Jul 24, 2007 at 4:54 pm
Old Jul 24, 2007, 7:51 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Delta Platinum
My wife and I are planning a trip to Cabo probably in January. I'm a scuba diver and I'd like to get in some diving if possible. Has anybody who stayed at the Westin done any diving? Is there a dive operation at the hotel? I understand that the current probably prevents any shore diving but I wonder what other people's scuba experiences at Cabo might have been.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 7:34 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Westin or Sheraton in Cabo

Greetings, I am planning a trip to Cabo in April of '08 with my wife and two girls (ages 6 & 8). I booked the Westin with SPG points thinking that Westin properties are almost always nicer than Sheraton's, but after doing a bit of reading on FT, I'm starting to think that the Sheraton might be a better fit due to proximity to down, rough ocean, etc. at the Westin. Curious to hear any thoughts of the relative merits of each.

Thanks,

Jonathan
Old Aug 12, 2007, 12:38 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by DrMaturin
My wife and I are planning a trip to Cabo probably in January. I'm a scuba diver and I'd like to get in some diving if possible. Has anybody who stayed at the Westin done any diving? Is there a dive operation at the hotel? I understand that the current probably prevents any shore diving but I wonder what other people's scuba experiences at Cabo might have been.
The beach at Westin is definitely not a good place for shore diving. My wife and I went diving at two places during our honeymoon at the Westin in January 2006. Our first day of diving was with Cabo Pulmo Dive Center. It takes about 1 1/2 hours to get there, and the last 20 miles are on a rough dirt road. Though we had a rental car, we opted for the bouncy, free shuttle service provided by the dive shop. On our first day riding up there, the dive was canceled due to rough seas and we turned around before arrival. On the second day, we had two great dives. Huge schools of fish. A school of dozens of eagle rays. We saw sea lions above water, but unfortunately never encountered them underwater. Both dives were drift dives. We were the only two customers that morning. A good, simple, fresh Mexican lunch was included after the dives at the neighboring restaurant. The divemaster at the dive shop was a native English speaker, and the shop had good gear. The boat is basic with no shade, but most of their diving is just a few minutes offshore. (A photo of the boat is in the photo album on their website.) 2 tank dive was $65. We would like to return to this location in warmer weather for some hammerhead shark and whale shark diving opportunities. This is at a national marine park.

Our other day of diving was at Cabo San Lucas' famous arches with Lands End Divers. This was also a divemaster-led dive that was treated like a drift dive. (Boat drops you off and picks you up when done. This was more due to the crowded area than due to the currents.) Whereas Cabo Pulmo was great for large creatures, these dives were great for small ones. Fantastic colors. Saw a beautiful orange seahorse here. Our divemaster was an excellent guide. Just one other couple was on our first dive, and the second dive was just us and our guide. The dive shop was basic but had good gear and was conveniently located next to the marina. The boat had a roof to provide shade. Our surface interval between dives was spent at the marina, though they might be willing to let you spend it at Lover's Beach, if you ask. $70 for 2 tanks. Nothing fancy with this shop, but it was all that we wanted.

We booked both days of diving through the hotel concierge after our arrival. During peak season, it would probably be a good idea to book in advance.

The water at both locations was around 66 degrees, and visibility varied 30-60 feet, IIRC.

Another option is to drive past Cabo Pulmo to La Paz, but that would probably best be an overnight trip. We did not go to La Paz.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA EP 4+ million miles, Ambassador+ Elite
Upgrade on point stays

I just got back Monday. I was upgraded to a Jacuzzi Suite while I was there on points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.