Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Tahiti became Sofitel, 15 Oct. 2018 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Le Meridien Tahiti became Sofitel, 15 Oct. 2018 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2015, 1:29 pm

We have a trip in early November and we are staying two nights in Tahiti near PPT before heading off to Bora Bora (getting in after 9 PM the one night, leaving 7:30 AM in the morning 2 days later).

I have SPG Gold and IHG Spire Elite status, for what it is worth, both through credit cards (though a quick glance at another thread indicates the latter might not be worth much at an IC).

Already booked Le Meridien on points and cash (seemed like the sweet spot), but would people still recommend the IC over it even if staying for multiple nights? I guess I could book it on points and upgrade in cash later.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 1:39 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by DCF
Stay at the IC: it's at the end of the runway.

Le Meridien is a 25 minute drive away, but an hour in rush hour - what day of the week are you doing it?
We'd be there on a Wed night, departing Thurs morning for BB.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 4:04 pm
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
Originally Posted by bhrubin
We'd be there on a Wed night, departing Thurs morning for BB.
And you're an 0805 departure from Faaa airport? The traffic is going to be as bad as it ever gets.

At best you are going to clear customs and get to Le Meridien around 11pm (compared with 1030 at the IC).

But if you are checking luggage, you're going to want to be at the airport no later than 0705. Which means that you could leave the IC at 0630, but you'd need to be leaving Le Meridien around 0545 at the absolute latest.

Tahiti is not like Bora Bora. It's a westernised island where everyone has a cellphone and a TV and commutes to work. But the people with their own cars mainly live on the western side of the island, between the airport and Le Meridien, and the traffic is a nightmare at rush hour because there is only one main road. And your Bora Bora flight is slap-bang in the middle of rush hour.

But the IC is a much nicer hotel, both in terms of the rooms and the location. You're straight across the water from Moorea, which you will just about see before you depart for the airport.

With your flights, a stay at Le Meridien would be short and stressful.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 4:07 pm
DCF

Originally Posted by TerryK
Go with IC. LM Tahiti is a spruced up Holiday Inn too far away for overnight stays.
I agree with the "too far away" bit, but you do realise that the IC used to be a Travelodge?
Old Jul 22, 2015, 4:15 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by DCF
I agree with the "too far away" bit, but you do realise that the IC used to be a Travelodge?
So is the IC actually nicer than the LM...or are they actually comparable but the IC is just so much closer to the PPT airport?
Old Jul 22, 2015, 6:20 pm
DCF

So is the IC actually nicer than the LM...or are they actually comparable but the IC is just so much closer to the PPT airport?
The IC is a much, much nicer property but you won't really experience much at either with your very short turn-around.

The IC and Le Meridien have similar constructions in terms of three stories with pools in front, then overwater bungalows. And arriving at the top of an upside down hotel is a nice experience.

But the IC feels much more luxurious because all the room fittings are nicer and the grounds are much nicer, plus with Moorea being straight across the water the view is spectacular by day or on a cloudless night.

The cheapest rooms at the IC are small - they are the walls of the old Travelodge with new fancy fittings and furniture. But the Panoramic rooms (which are much larger) and bungalows there are the best rooms on Tahiti. The secret is to join their Ambassador program to get automatic upgrades and a free weekend night, not that that will help you on this trip.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 7:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DCF
The IC is a much, much nicer property but you won't really experience much at either with your very short turn-around.

The IC and Le Meridien have similar constructions in terms of three stories with pools in front, then overwater bungalows. And arriving at the top of an upside down hotel is a nice experience.

But the IC feels much more luxurious because all the room fittings are nicer and the grounds are much nicer, plus with Moorea being straight across the water the view is spectacular by day or on a cloudless night.

The cheapest rooms at the IC are small - they are the walls of the old Travelodge with new fancy fittings and furniture. But the Panoramic rooms (which are much larger) and bungalows there are the best rooms on Tahiti.
Already had booked a Panoramic king room at the IC Tahiti for our brief 1 night stay. Between it being so close to the PPT airport AND nicer than the LM, according to you and so many others, it seemed a no-brainer. Thanks!

We'll get our luxury on more with 7 nights at the St Regis Bora Bora afterward.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Already had booked a Panoramic king room at the IC Tahiti for our brief 1 night stay. Between it being so close to the PPT airport AND nicer than the LM, according to you and so many others, it seemed a no-brainer. Thanks!

We'll get our luxury on more with 7 nights at the St Regis Bora Bora afterward.
Interested to hear about SRBB... I'm headed down in two weeks - two nights at LM and then 7 at SRBB in a deluxe OWB. I hope you will post a review.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 11:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mrlonghorn
Interested to hear about SRBB... I'm headed down in two weeks - two nights at LM and then 7 at SRBB in a deluxe OWB. I hope you will post a review.
Sorry, my tense misled you! I won't be in Tahiti/Bora Bora until April 2016. I hope YOU will post a TR!
Old Jul 23, 2015, 12:27 am
DCF

Originally Posted by mrlonghorn
SRBB is magnificent, although it's unclear whether the termite situation showcased in photos on TripAdvisor has been fixed. Enjoy it before the place falls down!
Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:10 am

We are on the Air NZ flight at 0200 and will be taking the last ferry from Moorea to Tahiti at 16:30 to Tahiti.

Has anyone tried to use LM Tahiti facilities to hang out and use until the 0200 Air NZ flight?

I'm PLT and will have stayed at the LM earlier in the week.

Also how long should we expect the drive to take from ferry terminal on Tahiti to LM at 17:00?

How long will the ride take from Tahiti airport to LM at 1am in the morning, I assume no traffic?
Old Jan 27, 2016, 9:48 am

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador
Advice

Looking for recent advice. Flying in with 8 people (kids included). Arrive at 5am. Then fly out the next day at 10am to St Regis Bora Bora. The question.

If we arrive at 5/6am, should we expect an hour drive to Le Meridian??? And $100? See various reports here.

We do have 24 hours so don't want to stay at crappy hotel. But do people think I'm crazy for schleping kids to Le Meridian from airport? Never been but posts seem to state it's very far???

Thanks.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by JBauer

... I'm crazy for schleping kids to Le Meridian from airport? Never been but posts seem to state it's very far???

Le Méridien is about 10 kms from the airport; IC is just about 4 km. There are smaller hotels right near the airport, but they are not international level. If you decide for IC it would probably be worth joining Ambassador as they seem to give favorable treatment. The Méridien for SPG Platinum is like pulling teeth, but if you insist they usually come up with something quite good.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 4:01 am
DCF

Originally Posted by JBauer
Looking for recent advice. Flying in with 8 people (kids included). Arrive at 5am. Then fly out the next day at 10am to St Regis Bora Bora. The question.

If we arrive at 5/6am, should we expect an hour drive to Le Meridian??? And $100? See various reports here.

We do have 24 hours so don't want to stay at crappy hotel. But do people think I'm crazy for schleping kids to Le Meridian from airport? Never been but posts seem to state it's very far???

Thanks.
It will only take you around 25 minutes to get to Le Meridien with no traffic in that direction that early, but in 2 or 3 taxis.

But it will take you an hour to get back to the airport in rush hour traffic (unless it's the weekend) the next morning. Leave no later than 7 am.

But unless you're burning points, you're making a mistake staying at Le Meridien instead of the InterContinental.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 4:23 am

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by DCF

But unless you're burning points, you're making a mistake staying at Le Meridien instead of the InterContinental.
I tend to agree, but Le Méridien has a rather attractive sandy bottom pool.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.