Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Tahiti became Sofitel, 15 Oct. 2018 [Master Thread]

Le Meridien Tahiti became Sofitel, 15 Oct. 2018 [Master Thread]

Old Mar 21, 2009, 7:23 am
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
Originally Posted by SST
Thanks for the info.... I, too, am caught by Air Tahiti Nui changing their fall schedule, and am now reshuffling my plans...

One other question about Papeete, and/or Bora Bora taxis: Is there a taxi mafia type arrangement with "fixed" (ie: ripoff) fares for tourists, is there any published information on what it SHOULD be, or are there meters (and will the driver use the meter or laugh at you if you ask)? What should it run from PPT to someplace interesting to get dropped in the city, and the return? (I've got to kill 7 hours, I guess: thanks, TN!)
As someone who visits French Polynesia every year, I'm kind of offended on their behalf.

This is a part of the world where even tipping is not expected, and where until very recently the recipient automatically felt an obligation to reciprocate, and while Papeete has a few people in the industry who take advantage you will find that individuals in places like Bora Bora absolutely won't.

Two examples: I tipped a taxi driver last year in Bora Bora, and ended up getting invited over to a barbecue in return with my wife and two kids.

Also, the year before on Bora Bora we wanted to go to Bloody Marys for lunch from Vaitape, but all the taxis were in use for cruise ship passengers. There is a shuttle which takes people to a nearby pearl shop and the driver passed us twice in ten minutes and took pity on us, and drove us to the pearl shop with no pressure whatsoever to go in the shop.

The rip-offs on Bora Bora are by the big businessmen, who charge insane prices for everything. But the ordinary people who live and work there are very contented and why wouldn't they be - everyone has a cellphone, satellite TV, free healthcare and education etc.

Just be braced for crazy prices - especially because their currency and minimum wage are so much higher than in your country.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 9:21 pm
SST

Not trying to offend either you or them, mate. Just spend a lot of my time in taxis where, it seems, every third operator has an obvious scam to rip off non-locals. No names please, but SJU, IST, BKK, BCN, TUN and NYC might serve as hints (this was last year's list for me as I remember it). [While most NYC cab drivers are honest and use the meter, I had a guy who insisted that $45 was his flat fare *to LaGuardia* last month and a good deal, and I had to make him let me out because he wouldn't start the meter]. [IME, the cabdrivers in IST regularly take longer routes to run up the fare if they think you don't know where you're going; one driver in TUN used the night fare during the day, and laughed when I called him on it, admitting that it usually worked. He said he didn't know that I had been there before.... (?)]

I haven't even had a chance to form an opinion of the people of French Polynesia, but cab drivers are like a given, worldwide, unfortunately: some are honest and fine, and a certain percentage seem to think that if someone is visiting their country, it's standard procedure to rip them off. Most people who have visited the above destinations have had a bad taxi experience. I try to minimize this by gaining knowledge ahead of time, so at least I know what it should be.

My request was for info on fares and meter usage, if someone had it, and I still don't feel that's unreasonable as I've searched and still don't know; getting flamed feels kind of weird. If you object to the term "taxi-mafia", it's in common usage on this board. Accept my apologies for having offended your sensibilities; perhaps since you're there so often you could offer up what a cab from PPT to the wharf should run, and just tell me whether there's a meter, a well-known flat rate, or the whole thing is a negotiation?
Old Mar 21, 2009, 9:56 pm
Community Director Emerita

The taxis that we took in Tahiti did not have meters. We checked with our hotel on the rates. We were told that what we paid was a fair amount.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 4:28 pm
SST

Thanks, SanDiego1k. Was there any haggling, or did the driver just give you a fair price in advance/upon arriving? Did you pay in XPF, Euros, or ? And did you get CFP francs at an ATM or bureau de change at the airport?

Last edited by SST; Mar 22, 2009 at 4:33 pm
Old Mar 22, 2009, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by SST
Thanks, SanDiego1k. Was there any haggling, or did the driver just give you a fair price in advance/upon arriving? Did you pay in XPF, Euros, or ? And did you get CFP francs at an ATM or bureau de change at the airport?
We didn't haggle. We took the taxi at the rate offered. It seemed high, so when we got to the hotel we checked with staff and were assured it was an appropriate rate. We paid in local currency. And we had used the ATM at the airport.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 10:51 pm
SST

Thanks. Thanks also, in advance, if anyone else has anecdotes on fare amounts they've paid in Papeete or Bora Bora-- I'd love to hear them. I'll check back in a few days, because I'm off from SFO to London tomorrow, where although it's not cheap, I've never once been faced with a dishonest or incompetent cabbie. Unique in the world.... and also the most expensive I can think of..... I guess there's probably a correlation there.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by SST
perhaps since you're there so often you could offer up what a cab from PPT to the wharf should run, and just tell me whether there's a meter, a well-known flat rate, or the whole thing is a negotiation?
Thought I'd chime in on this. I didn't actually take a cab so I don't know how much they run. You might want to check the Tahiti Explorer Forums for this type of info. I did see a couple waiting for a bus right outside the airport and then again down by the wharf about an hour later, so that might be a cheap option.

What I did that was fairly cheap since I had a layover of 5 hours (so about 2 hours to see Papeete since the wife wanted to be back at the airport 3 hours prior for checkin) was rent a car. Most rentals seem to be about $100 a day with unlimited miles. But Hertz had an option where you can rent the car for about $33 for a day (~2900 XPF all-in) and then they charge you 36 XPF per km driven (which is about $0.70 per mile). I did this option. We drove around a little, up the hills to see a good view of Papeete, and then down to the wharf just in time for the "roulettos" (street vendors) to open which is an experience everybody said not to miss in PPT. In total we drove just 18km, so our final bill was just 3500 XPF, or about $40 total.

Once you factor in the luggage storage charges at the airport, this might not be a bad choice if you aren't driving far. Also I factored in airline mile value since I can get 1800 BMI miles per Hertz rental which is worth roughly $25 to me (or you can probably get 1.0 SWA credit which is worth ~$20). So I figure I only ended up paying $15 for the car rental, or actually saved money after factoring in luggage storage charges and the taxi fares. And it gave me the convenience of having a rental car and being able to do what I wanted. The Hertz desk and cars were right there in the PPT airport BTW.

As far as money, I too just withdrew money from the ATM right there in the airport (which is what I always do when going to a foreign country as the exchange rates are the best from ATMs). My bank charges 2% for ATM withdrawls, which is the same or less than my credit cards charge me. I withdrew 50k XPF (~$550) for the 8 days I was there and ended up putting most of that towards my final hotel bill on the last day since I hadn't spent much of it. But having XPF cash is handy for taxis, smaller restaurants & stores, etc, so I advise getting at least some and then using all your leftover for your final hotel bill. Enjoy your trip!!! I'm sure it will be wonderful!!! ^
Old Aug 23, 2010, 9:02 pm

anyone has recent experience at this property? we're going to stay here for one night during a transit to moorea in early september. does this property upgrade platinum members to overwater bungalows(if available, of course)? is there a club lounge available for breakfast?

thanks
Old Aug 23, 2010, 9:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by bradcc
does this property upgrade platinum members to overwater bungalows(if available, of course)? is there a club lounge available for breakfast?
We stayed there for a few nights last December before a cruise. We got upgraded to a beautiful corner suite with a huge veranda overlooking the ocean, but not an overwater bungalow. There is no club lounge, but they did give us a bottle of champagne and a coupon or two free drinks in the bar (nice, because they were about $18 each).
Old Aug 23, 2010, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
We stayed there for a few nights last December before a cruise. We got upgraded to a beautiful corner suite with a huge veranda overlooking the ocean, but not an overwater bungalow. There is no club lounge, but they did give us a bottle of champagne and a coupon or two free drinks in the bar (nice, because they were about $18 each).
In March of last year, we had a one night stay and got a suite similar to the one described.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 8:23 am

As I remember, there are very few over the water bungalows, and those they have are actually by the shore. I wouldn't worry about getting one of them; hopefully, you have an over the water bungalow reserved wherever you are moving on. It's been two years since we stayed, but we got a very nice upgrade. The room was relatively small, but we had a massive veranda with day bed. It had an interesting amenity - an easel with paper and colored pencils for sketching.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
there are very few over the water bungalows, and those they have are actually by the shore.
my wife & i stayed here twice during our honeymoon....both were one night stays at the beginning & end of 2 weeks spent in between at bora bora & moorea....

sandiego1k is right, the overwater bungalows are by the shore....we were upgraded both times to one of these....they were ok, but nothing compared to the ones in bora bora & moorea....

i would never pay extra to get an overwater bungalow here....
Old Sep 19, 2010, 4:33 pm

Programs: *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Question

Can anyone comment on Platinum treatment here?
Old Sep 19, 2010, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by teaseicu
Can anyone comment on Platinum treatment here?
Very good! I was once offered the Presidential Suite; another time over-the-water. Champagne (Nicolas Feuillatte), pastries and snacks, too. But when the hotel is busy, forget it.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 7:24 pm

Le Meridien hotel upgrade?

my wife and I will be staying at the Le Meridien for our honeymoon in April. I have heard you can tip the front desk for a room upgrade or an all inclusive wrist band.. is this possible here? We wanted a mini suite or bigger room but could not afford it. any responses will be much appreciated. thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.