Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[Closed Jan 2022] Sheraton Roma (Rome) , Italy [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Closed Jan 2022] Sheraton Roma (Rome) , Italy [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2013, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA GS 3Million, Marriott/SPG LIFETIME Platinum - current Titanium, HHonors Diamond
Recent experiences - Sheraton Roma

I recently wrapped a three night stay at the Sheraton Roma Hotel and Conference Center. I was well aware that the hotel was out of town, but I didn't expect it to be in a slum. Graffiti, trash, broken car windows - unreal. The hotel is near the EUR Magliana Metro station and is easily walkable - with the exception that the sidewalks are completely overgrown and no one seems to have attended to anything since the beginning of the global financial crisis.

The front desk staff and the concierge were the most unhelpful people I have ever had the displeasure of working with, including one who told me that they couldn't sell me tickets on the shuttle to the airport more than one day in advance (I nearly lost it with that comment).

Had lunch the first day in the restaurant as me and the kids (2 adults) were starving. Was arguably the WORST food I have ever had in a *Wood restaurant. I am not sure how Italians can ruin PIZZA! My son had pizza and it was oily and runny and not properly cooked. My pasta was not just al dente, it was al uncooked. Worst waste of money.

On the bright side - and the only bright side - was the lounge. The folks working the lounge were friendly (the food was terrible - see above) and they had sodas, water, coffee, and wine (rosso, bianco, and prosecco) during the afternoon hours. The setting was nice.

Although it was affordable (my only reason for using it). I doubt I will ever set foot there again.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 5:28 am

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Are the rooms and baths now renovated?!
Old Jul 9, 2013, 10:43 am

Squash Courts @ Sheraton Rome?

Hello - I'm considering this hotel for an upcoming family vacation. Does anyone know about the status of the Squash courts? The hotel website makes mention of the courts.

However when I emailed the hotel for more details, I received a response that I should call the mobile number of someone named Carlo.

Has anyone ever used these courts before? How many are available? What are the hours for use? And does the hotel offer any lessons?
Old Jul 9, 2013, 11:00 am

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Originally Posted by sgopal2
Hello - I'm considering this hotel for an upcoming family vacation. Does anyone know about the status of the Squash courts? The hotel website makes mention of the courts.

However when I emailed the hotel for more details, I received a response that I should call the mobile number of someone named Carlo.

Has anyone ever used these courts before? How many are available? What are the hours for use? And does the hotel offer any lessons?
There should be 2 squash and one tennis court. Never used them and don't know if they are still existing after the renovation. With google maps I saw something which could be the building of the three courts.
Old May 28, 2014, 8:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I recently took advantage of a "mistake fare" and I am unexpectedly going to Italy. Not a bad problem to have!

I am thinking about staying at this property on points, as I didn't expect this trip and I don't have that many SPG points saved right now. I've read this thread and the reviews on tripadvisor.

What I can gather is that we can take the hotel shuttle to town at set intervals, or just take the subway which is a 10 minute walk.

Has anyone stayed recently and used this hotel as a base to see the city? I'd love to hear more recent comments on how realistic this plan is.

Thank you in advance for any help!
Ashley
Old May 28, 2014, 10:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
This hotel is not very walkable in its neighborhood as it is in a freeway interchange sort of. We walked the back 40 and it was interesting but took the shuttle to town. Back when we took it, you were dropped by this very weird church which has something to do with chopping off your hand if you are bad....must see!

Karen
Old May 29, 2014, 9:01 am

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ashley1245
Has anyone stayed recently and used this hotel as a base to see the city? I'd love to hear more recent comments on how realistic this plan is.
It's very realistic if you're not the kind of person who goes back to the hotel multiple times a day. My partner and I stayed here during a weekend trip to Rome in February (first visit for both of us), and since we couldn't be bothered to wait for the hotel shuttle (plus it's not exactly cheap either), we just took the metro to and from the city (the city centre is only 5-6 stops away). Of course, this only worked because we stayed out the whole day, not wanting to waste any time in this beautiful city.

If you have more specific questions or concerns, I'll be happy to help.
Old May 29, 2014, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
We were there about 8 yrs ago when the shuttle was cheap. However, the reports about the neighborhood being scary at night would have put me off from using the Metro. Rome is so huge that no hotel is perfect for the entire city anyway. We were only there a couple of nights and liked its location between the airport and city.

A long time ago, we stayed at the Hilton on one of the famous hills in Rome and transit was a huge problem from there and the airport transport fee was enormous. We also learned that there can be a whole metro line down which pretty much screws you up. And that you best come back before 9 pm anyway to ensure your bus is still running. For a city that eats dinner so late, its transit system shuts down around 11 pm. We got stuck walking about two miles back to our hotel at 11 pm after being dumped by a bus very far from where we expected. And nary a cab in sight.

Start early if you want to see the Vatican because there is a huge wait to get in. Friends hired a tour just to bypass the line. Bring lots of money because Rome sites are very pricy.

Consult Trip Advisor for more current info on the hotel.
Old May 29, 2014, 10:17 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Karen2
Start early if you want to see the Vatican because there is a huge wait to get in. Friends hired a tour just to bypass the line. Bring lots of money because Rome sites are very pricy.

Consult Trip Advisor for more current info on the hotel.
My wife and I did a Vatican visit last year and took a cab from the hotel to the tour operator but as it was early morning wasn't too bad on pricing. When we arrived at the meeting point for the Vatican we found that the public bus that stops right near the hotel finishes at that point. Worth checking out if you want to go there or return from there with minimum fuss. We went on a second afternoon tour and took the metro from near the Colloseum. Found the walk to the hotel to be not so straight forward as no good pedestrian walkways and we had been walking all day, but did get back after about 20 min walking.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 9:16 am

Avoid!

Had a 6 night stay earlier this month, and would advise anyone considering this location to avoid it.

Like the comments above, the front desk staff were the most unhelpful people I have ever had to deal with. Comments like "Sorry, we cannot exchange your paper bill into coins for the bus. You will have to ask someone else or walk to the metro station" is not something I have ever encountered.

Not sure if it's just my experience, but the customer service I received is very different from guests who speak Italian. I couldn't even get a smile from the front desk staff, while the guest before me who spoke Italian had a lengthy and animated conversation (I stood in line for over 10 mins while they strike a great conversation...)

The Club Lounge is a joke. I was "upgraded" to the club room and was told I will have breakfast at the lounge instead of the restaurant. If you're considering "upgrading" to club room, I would advise against it.

In hindsight, I would gladly pay more to stay in Westin Excelsior Rome. Sheraton Roma has definitely set a new low for me from my Starwood experience to date.

Last edited by newbie0121; Sep 19, 2014 at 9:21 am
Old Feb 23, 2015, 5:51 pm
Suspended

I see from the just released list that this hotel is going down to a Category 2, but for the life of me, I don't see any days that are available on points or points and cash!
Old Feb 23, 2015, 7:33 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
I see from the just released list that this hotel is going down to a Category 2, but for the life of me, I don't see any days that are available on points or points and cash!
You won't find any rooms available at the Category 2 rate until 10 March. They are probably working on adjusting their inventory to reflect the new rates. No point in booking now anyway as it will price out at the Category 3 rates until the changeover and the cash prices are very low for the winter time anyway.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 9:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
You won't find any rooms available at the Category 2 rate until 10 March. They are probably working on adjusting their inventory to reflect the new rates. No point in booking now anyway as it will price out at the Category 3 rates until the changeover and the cash prices are very low for the winter time anyway.
Thanks! Right, I wasn't looking for the Cat 2 yet -- in fact I was investigating for Cat 3 and an upcoming trip -- so the change is a gift, but I could not understand why I saw no availability -- your explanation makes sense, hopefully, and I will again investigate after the change-over date!
Old Feb 24, 2015, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
Thanks! Right, I wasn't looking for the Cat 2 yet -- in fact I was investigating for Cat 3 and an upcoming trip -- so the change is a gift, but I could not understand why I saw no availability -- your explanation makes sense, hopefully, and I will again investigate after the change-over date!
If you haven't stayed at this property before, keep your expectations in check. If you have, then you probably know what I mean. It's not horrible, but it's really just for overnighting, either for a flight the next morning, or en route to another property in Italy. At least that's why I stay there.

Cheers,
Old Feb 24, 2015, 5:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Flews
If you haven't stayed at this property before, keep your expectations in check. If you have, then you probably know what I mean. It's not horrible, but it's really just for overnighting, either for a flight the next morning, or en route to another property in Italy. At least that's why I stay there.

Cheers,
Thanks, Flews. It was the latter, and I probably won't even stay there now that I got a BRG at the Rome Park Marriott for approx. $100 and I hold Platinum status. I intend to then go to the city via their shuttle and stay 2 nights at IHG's Hotel Indigo St. George having earned 2 free nights from that chain's recent promotion.

Still, the property going to a Cat 2 seems ideal for the just arrived/departed as most of its rivals are generally far more expensive in either points or cash!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.