Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien St. Julians, Malta (converting to a Marriott Oct 2018) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Le Meridien St. Julians, Malta (converting to a Marriott Oct 2018) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2006, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Arrow Le Meridien St. Julians, Malta (converting to a Marriott Oct 2018) [Master Thread]

I am interested in this property. I have already tried the Hilton and the Westin (preferred the Westin due to better upgrade, even though the Hilton is nice, too). Would be interested if anyone has any experience from the new Le Meridien to share. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Football Fan; Mar 23, 2006 at 3:50 am
Old Mar 26, 2006, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
So to answer my own question - I stayed there myself. The hotel could be nice, but basically, they opened it too soon. Lots of construction still going on in the hotel, rooftop pool/bar not accessible, lounge closed, hallways dirty with construction dirt, rooms dirty with construction dirt, light switches in the rooms look like they were drilled into the wall in a hurry, no SPG recognition whatsoever, much less Plat recognition, staff doesn't seem to be trained for that yet. For the same money, the Westin Dragonara is still a much better choice. On the plus side, most staff do try to please and the breakfast was good. Maybe I'll try it again in 6 months or so.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM
FYI: for anyone wondering about the Meridien St. Julians ...

Since it's new and I did not see anything posted here, I thought I'd pipe in.

Despite a couple of service issues, management was very responsive to my complaint and reacted appropriately. This is pretty much par for the course for a new property (opened in March), so I'm not that concerned about it.
Rooms are very nice (almost exactly like pics on site), housekeeping great, no major issues there.
Location is wonderful. Though I'm not an expert on the island, it has worked very well for me. Only problem is that if you have one of the better rooms (sea view), it gets noisy in the evenings from the public pool and square on the street below. Not enough for me to worry about though.
Concierge very helpful and eager to please, as are most of the staff. Spa looked good, indoor pool area nice but somehow a little creepy. Roof pool small and very busy.
Any other questions, just PM me or post here.
Cheers
Old Dec 5, 2006, 3:14 am
Original Poster

Stayed again, no platinum recognition until I reminded them. Was shown a suite after asking and was offered to move. The lounge opened which is nice, the lady working in the lounge is very friendly and courteous. The view from the hotel to Balluta bay is nice. On my next stay, got told I can check in in the lounge and got lounge access and an "executive room" (no suite, though). Points from first stay never posted. No difference in size in the executive rooms, but they have a carpet instead of tiles, are on a higher floor and have a flatscreen TV. Nice perk is that high-speed Internet (not wireless) is free in the executive rooms and suites. Staff is friendly.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 6:29 am

thinkin about going here in march... do you think all the construction will be done?
i booked a room on points for 4 nights at cat 2 before it changed to cat 3 this week.
hows the location? do you need a car?
does the lounge have free breakfast? drinks? snacks at night?
since im plat, would it be worth emailing them in advance to ask for a suite upgrade?

thnx,
r

Originally Posted by attorney28
Stayed again, no platinum recognition until I reminded them. Was shown a suite after asking and was offered to move. The lounge opened which is nice, the lady working in the lounge is very friendly and courteous. The view from the hotel to Balluta bay is nice. On my next stay, got told I can check in in the lounge and got lounge access and an "executive room" (no suite, though). Points from first stay never posted. No difference in size in the executive rooms, but they have a carpet instead of tiles, are on a higher floor and have a flatscreen TV. Nice perk is that high-speed Internet (not wireless) is free in the executive rooms and suites. Staff is friendly.
Old May 25, 2009, 5:47 pm

My wife and I used the SPG properties in Malta as a base for travel to Gozo, Camino, and Mdina, staying at the Westin Dragonara on two different stays and the Le Meridien St. Juliens for another two night stay, and we enjoyed these properties immensely. Both hotels offer great value for tourists as the LM is rated as a level 3 property and the Westin Dragonara, a level four property. The choice of one property over the other depends on one's interest, and it is possible to snag rates at either of these properties of about 130 EU, a great value.

The LM St. Juliens is a new property that was described to us as being opened about a year and a half, but there are only a few posts about this hotel, one of them describing it as newly opened about two and a half years ago. This hotel is even a better value that the Westin Dragonara, as everytime we looked, rates were less expensive here. In contrast to the Westin which has been constructed horizontally, this hotel has been constructed vertically and has an outdoor pool on the 12th floor. The hotel has been constucted on the side of a hill, so that one enters the 3rd floor lobby on one side of the hotel, whereas the entrance on the bayside of the hotel is on level 0. Of note is that the local bus stops in front of this hotel, where we climbed aboard a bus on route 645 to the ferry at Gozo, or bus 65 to Mdina in front of the hotel. If one wants to explore the island, this is an important advantage of the LM property over the Westin.

The room we received was Junior Suite 943 located on the Club Floor was one of the finest rooms we had received at a LM property, and my wife rated it far superior to the rooms we had at the Westin. The bath room was marble, and in addition there were two half baths for our convenience. Like the Westin, we had a balcony that overlooked the water where one could sit and enjoy the sunset. The Executive Club was an irregularly shaped room that had a mountain/city view rather than a ocean view, although one could take the evening snacks/drinks or breakfast out on the ocean veranda across the hall. (Advantage to the Westin on the layout of the Executive Club). My wife liked the indoor pool better than what was offered at the Westin, however.

One of the major advantages of this property were the staff. At first, I was concerned about the pushiness of the staff, but later I revised my appraisal to one of concern for their guests. For example, when we arrived, our room was not ready, and Andrew working the front desk offered us a drink. When we refused, he suggested that we wait in the Executive Lounge until our room was ready. Upon arriving in the lounge, the lady on duty offered us drinks, and we settled on some sparking wine that was provided for breakfast. Andrew called the Executive Lounge person to tell her we were on our way, and he also called the head of housekeeping to check when our room was ready. We heard him address both people by their first names. (Later we found that he had volunteered to work at the front desk while some of his colleagues were vacationing at the Sheraton in Catania, and his usual job is in reservations!) When our room was ready in about 10 minutes after arriving, Andrew came to the Executive Club to show us to the room. The lady (Anna) who was in charge of the Club on the days we were there also was a star employee, and we gave her high grades for her thoughtfulness and concern for her guests.

Andrew recommended a restaurant, Al Molo, located in a bay near the Hilton, and they provided us one of the finest meals we had while on vacation.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Jun 22, 2010 at 11:45 am Reason: copied Le Meridien section from a more comprehensive report
Old May 26, 2009, 10:23 am

Programs: DL DM & MM, Hilton Diamond, IC Plt Amb , Marriott LTP, Hertz President's Circle
Thank you for the detailed trip report!

I was just at the LM St. Julians Bay in March and though it and the staff were great. I didn't stay at the Westin or the Hilton, but I do have to agree that SPG has the best properties there.

I also stayed at the IC Malta and was not impressed except for the IC Executive Lounge.

As a Plat, I was upgraded to a wonderful 2 room suite overlooking the bay at St. Julians. I have still to post photos, which I will because I took pics of everything about the hotels and our flights.

If I went back, I would try the Westin because it has nicer grounds and is right on the ocean but I would not leave without a stay at the LM. Nice, new hotel and close to the nice quiet area of town.

Malta is great, I will for sure be back.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 5:30 am

Programs: SPG Gold, UA/AA Commoner
Stay 17-19 June 2010:

Check-in: We arrived at 230 am to check in. There was a new clerk and another trainer. Obviously we were the only ones checking in. I had booked 2 reservations (1 cash and 1 C+P). One was for smoking and one was for non smoking (The only room I could book 3 months prior for cash was smoking, so I did so. I annotated in the notes that I preferred non smoking and hoped I could get moved as well as that it was my wife's birthday.) The new clerk was doing all of the work and went through to see what he could do. He said that unfortunately there was only the one room for that night, but that it was an upgrade to a family room (a mini suite). It was smoking, but luckily we could not tell. So he explains that unfortunately we were booked into the same room for the 2nd night. We were booked into the upgraded SMOKING room for the 2nd night. I was annoyed by this and they said I could come in the morning if I was unhappy. Being 3 am I decided that was best. While discussing the rooms, the new clerk mentioned purchasing breakfast with starpoints. I asked about the cost and he wasn't sure. When he referred to his colleague he was not sure either. However, they mentioned that the SPG Champion Keith would be able to help the next day. There was a 60 Euro/night preauthorization requirement.

Room: We went into the room and saw 2 place settings and a covered plate on the bed. "Happy Birthday" the cake said. I was surprised, I totally forgot I had even mentioned that in the comment block. One point for the hotel. Then, being as it was 85 degrees (29 celcius), we looked for the AC. We fiddled with it for a while and nothing. Then we went into the other part of the room with the couch and it worked fine. We called downstairs and a technician came up, but nothing. We asked if we could move rooms. No sir, full tonight. We can give you a fan. Can we have 2 fans? Well, we can definitely give you 1. So they brought the fan and it could not even go to full speed or it would shake until it fell over. The night was not so bad, but we were very disappointed. The smoking room definitely did not smell like smoke so I didn't request to change rooms.

On to the room itself. For this being a newer hotel, the room is very very very dated. It just seemed old. The TV was an old 22" tube TV. The bathroom was spacious, shower and tub. There was a separate toilet. The other part of the suite had its own shower as well. The balcony was nice, but we were upgraded to the parking lot side, so not much of a view. The bed was not the most comfortable.

La Bajja rooftop Bar: The World Cup was on while there so we decided to watch the game and get a nice view. The bar was not what we thought. It seemed liked a bar at a hostel. The rooftop view in the main bar area was surrounded by walls with a few windows. You could walk around and down some stairs to some lounge chairs, but I don't really think this was part of the bar as the waitstaff was not going in that direction at all. It was 5.15 Euro for a draft beer (not a pint). All the price, but not of the chic. Going specifically to watch Germany, we cared more about the TV. The TV was a joke (smaller than the one I am staring at in my living room at only 40"). Definitely a major disappointment. We left at halftime for 3 Euro beers and about 10 more inches on the TV.

When we left at halftime I asked the front desk about compensation for having no air conditioning. They were very confused about what I wanted. I did not use the word compensation, but I asked if there was something i could get for suffering through a night with no air conditioning. I was told they would talk with the manager.

Location: The hotel is overlooking Balluta bay. It is very close to many areas. Right in the middle of St. Julians. You can take the elevator down and hit many shops, restaurants, bars within 30 minutes. It's a great location, much preferred to the Westin.

Concierge: Very knowledgeable and helped us in choosing and taking an island tour.

Late check out: Requested and explained that it was based on availability. "Isn't it guaranteed if I am Gold?" No sir, based on availability. "I am pretty sure it is guaranteed." No, sir. Only if it is available, I will leave a note for the clerk to check tomorrow. Never ended up needing it, but still too much confusion.

Check out: I was asked if my stay was okay and I again brought up my first night about the air conditioning. The clerk said, I'm sorry, but they fixed it right away? I explained that it was not fixed until the next day. By then my receipt was done printing and she handed it to me and said thank you. At that point I saw Keith, the SPG Champion, and grabbed a copy of the points for services list (too late, but better than nothing). When I find it I will post it.

Overall: Good location and nice exterior. Rooms need some updating. Staff needs some training, a lot of training. Rooftop bar is worthless. Overall I think slightly better than the Westin based on a couple of aspects. Price. Location. (But, it all depends on what your priorities are).

This needs to be in the Sticky as only the Westin is listed.

Last edited by joeyvegaz; Jun 22, 2010 at 9:16 am
Old Jun 22, 2010, 8:52 am

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
If you're doing C&P, I would recommend the Westin over the LM -- had a great experience at the Westin, just an OK experience at the LM.
Westin is on the water, seems to have more suites, didn't charge for internet unlike the LM (which is moot now, for Plats), etc.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 9:16 am

Programs: SPG Gold, UA/AA Commoner
I was not told of free internet at the Westin
Old Jul 16, 2010, 9:48 pm

First let me say Malta is awesome. Hopefully I'll have the energy for a little trip report, but do not miss the Hypogeum.

We had two rooms for four nights each booked with cash and points. I booked both rooms as a plat and got two on the executive floor. One had a pullout couch and the other was pretty standard, but I found them to be comfortable enough. Apparently all of the rooms have balconies. Breakfast was included as a plat. It didn't really change from day to day and wasn't really that exciting, but there was a good selection of fruit, bread, and pastries. The hot food was perfectly fine but not remarkable. The rooftop pool is nice. As mentioned, there is no beach nearby, but you can get into the sea right across from the hotel and it looked like the bottom was sandy.

There are tons of restaurants within walking distance along the lovely promenade across from the hotel. Most of them are pizza, pasta, grill, which annoyed me very much, but the food was usually good. Many start serving dinner at 7.

We parked at the hotel. Whenever we were going to our car, they gave us vouchers at the front desk to put in the machine so parking was free.

The elevators are terrible. I routinely saw people get on elevators going in the opposite direction of where they were headed as they were fed up with waiting.

While I wouldn't go out of my way to visit this hotel, it definitely got the job done, especially as a category 3 with c & p.

The platinum amenity is a nicely decorated plate.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold, 1.8MM; Marriott lifetime Titanium
I stayed for two nights at the LM last week and followed that by a night at the Westin Dragonara. I have to say that I greatly preferred the LM on this trip.

I checked in around 8PM and they upgraded me (or I had booked, not sure) into room 943 (same as above), which has a fantastic view of Balluta Bay, which two medium sized patios. A 2 room suite, which two full bathrooms, the room was clean and not in need of any repair. I was pleasantly surprised to find a nice bottle of wine and a dessert tray awaiting my arrival, which totally hit the spot before heading out to meet some people.

The bedroom has a nice desk that was perfect for work and the internet was terribly slow.

I had breakfast and snacks both days in the exec lounge, which is on the 9th floor, and the lounge was staffed by an extremely friendly, super helpful woman that seemed to be in there all day. She dealt with several things for me, from booking a car to rapidly having my safe unlocked as I stupidly forgot what I used as a code. The food was consistently refreshed throughout the morning, and consisted largely of typical EU continental (breads, cereals, cold cuts, cheese, antipasto).

The pool, as noted, is on the 12th floor and is fine for business travel, but I wouldn't want to drag my kids to it, and the upstairs bar is very hostel like.

Overall, this property is more central than the Dragonara, and is far more geared toward business. I will stay here in the future and reserve the Westin for travel with kids if we end up in Malta (although the service at the Westin was exceptional also).
Old Apr 19, 2012, 11:30 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Skyteam E+, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Did anyone on FT stay here recently?

Are they generous with suite upgrades?
Old Jan 9, 2013, 2:59 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Any 2012 updates? Thinking of adding a city to my '13 summer vacation and either Malta/Rhodes/Italy comes to mind. Want an ocean and R&R!! Thoughts?
Old Mar 17, 2013, 1:32 pm

Received twice an executive suite (platinum upgrade).

Executive suite 1:
http://youhavebeenupgraded.boardinga...eridien-malta/

Executive suite 2:
http://youhavebeenupgraded.boardinga...idien-malta-2/

Last edited by youhavebeenupgraded; Mar 12, 2014 at 1:08 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.