Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Milan, Italy [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2004, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Air CP, *Wood Gold
Arrow Westin Milan, Italy [Master Thread]

I'm going to Milan soon, and was hoping to book the Westin Milan, but when I go to spg.com, the only bed type I see is "single bed" or "twins joined as Kings". No real Kings, no queens, no doubles. Just lots of twins--joined and not. Can this be real? I'm traveling with my husband and want a real bed. (the Sheraton Diana is apparently sold out, so that's not an option).

This doesn't seem usual for a Westin. Anyone else have this experience? Should I look elsewhere? Thanks.
Old Sep 3, 2004, 2:24 pm

Programs: CO; UA; Delta; Hilton Gold; SPG
I've stayed at this hotel several times, and I can vouch for the fact that they do have "real" king beds.

Book your reservation in a category that says two twins convert into a king. In remarks, put "king bed." Even if it is a room where they've converted two into one, I guarantee you'll never know.

And for what it's worth, the Sheraton Diana Majestic, while nice, is a notch or two below the Palace.
Old Sep 4, 2004, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Tahiti Boy! I've made the booking as you suggested.

Also, thanks for your two cents about the Westin vs. Sheraton Diana--opinions seem to be divided on this board about the two hotels but as far as I can tell, the Westin does seem to have the edge unless the glare from the supermodels staying at the Diana would distract one's eyes from the reported fraying at the edges of the property itself. As I'm on business, and with my husband, I'd just as soon have a nice room with good service and hopes of some sort of Gold recognition, if there's even a chance of it.

I'll post my review when I'm back at the end of the month.
Old Sep 5, 2004, 8:34 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SFVoyager
Also, thanks for your two cents about the Westin vs. Sheraton Diana--opinions seem to be divided on this board about the two hotels but as far as I can tell, the Westin does seem to have the edge unless the glare from the supermodels staying at the Diana would distract one's eyes from the reported fraying at the edges of the property itself.
Huh, I'd never considered the two to be in the same class - the Westin is a significantly better hotel, so I think you're making a good call. I can't speak for Golds, but certainly their elite recognition for Plats is excellent, so I wish you the best of luck.

Regarding the twins join as king thing - as TahitiBoy indicates, it's nothing like what it sounds - there is no gap whatsoever between the mattresses, and I think they use some kind of pillow-top between the mattress and the bottom sheet.
Old Sep 30, 2004, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Trip Update

Just got back from Milan, and found everything as described at the Westin. Received a lovely spacious room upon arrival, with a large and comfortable bed, with, as promised, no noticeable gaps. Just the usual Westin luxurious comfort.

I certainly would stay there again, though I found the hotel a bit dated-looking in the lobby, slightly understaffed, and the rooms very ornate and baroque-style, which isn't my taste particularly. But the location was central, and the room large and comfortable, so I was happy enough.

Thanks for everyone's input!
Old Sep 30, 2004, 6:32 pm

Thanks for the update, SFVoyager; glad your stay went well.

What I always found interesting was that before Starwood lost the Principe Di Savoia (right across the street from the Westin Palace), the Palace was always right in the middle (in terms of service, style and rates) between the Sheraton Diana Majestic and the Principe.

It's still a VERY ornate Italian hotel (and a member of The Luxury Collection in addition to its Westin moniker).
Old Sep 30, 2004, 6:35 pm

BTW, if you're ever back in Milan, try the Sheraton Diana Majestic; it's got a much more modern -- almost W-like -- feel to it. And it is THE place to see and be-seen by the fashionista set.

Happy travels!
Old Mar 13, 2006, 5:07 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HH Diamond,Hyatt Diamond
Westin Milan

After looking over the SPG choices in Milan I choose an award room for 4 nights ,5th night free at the Westin Milan, for a Jr. Suite with Sauna and patio. This cost me 80,000 points but the room is selling for $1065.Euro.
Im happy with my decision about the points and was wondering the following:
1)Does this hotel measure up to the Sheraton Diana Majestic in Milan.It seemed better by rooms as well as more expensive
2) is there an executive floor and do they serve breakfast?
3) Has anyone found a wireless signal from outside the hotel that was unsecured and usable?
4) Is the Spa at this hotel a good spa and free to gold SPG?
I have read other posts that said the FOUR Points is a dump so I didnt even consider it.
Finally does any one have any thoughts on good day trips by rail or car outside of Milan. I will spend the 5 days prior to coming here at the Villa Crespi on Lake Orta . I would be more inclined to utilizing the trains vs. a driver
Old Mar 14, 2006, 9:23 am
tyn

Originally Posted by martinplas
Finally does any one have any thoughts on good day trips by rail or car outside of Milan. I will spend the 5 days prior to coming here at the Villa Crespi on Lake Orta . I would be more inclined to utilizing the trains vs. a driver
You might consider Verona or, if you haven't had enough of lakes after your stay at Lago d'Orta, a quick pop across the Swiss border at Lugano. Both can be reached by train in 1 - 1.30 hrs and are quite beautiful places though in different ways. Mantua too is gorgeous, but you'll need a car to go there as the railway line is rather slow.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 9:33 am

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
All I can say is that the Westin Milan was the WORST SPG stay I have ever had...dirty, rude...I ended up having to call corp. at $5/min on my cell phone just to get points to pay me back...I would NOT stay there...
Old Mar 14, 2006, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joelfreak
All I can say is that the Westin Milan was the WORST SPG stay I have ever had...dirty, rude...I ended up having to call corp. at $5/min on my cell phone just to get points to pay me back...I would NOT stay there...
I have had a few pleasant stays at the Westin Milan. No problems at all. Joelfreak- can you tell us what happened?
Old Mar 14, 2006, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by martinplas
After looking over the SPG choices in Milan I choose an award room for 4 nights ,5th night free at the Westin Milan, for a Jr. Suite with Sauna and patio. This cost me 80,000 points but the room is selling for $1065.Euro.
Im happy with my decision about the points and was wondering the following:
1)Does this hotel measure up to the Sheraton Diana Majestic in Milan.It seemed better by rooms as well as more expensive
2) is there an executive floor and do they serve breakfast?
3) Has anyone found a wireless signal from outside the hotel that was unsecured and usable?
4) Is the Spa at this hotel a good spa and free to gold SPG?
I have read other posts that said the FOUR Points is a dump so I didnt even consider it.
I will answer what I can:
1)Yes the hotel measures up to the Sheraton Diana Majestic- most prefer the rooms here- the bar in the Majestic is more fun though
2)I don't know of an executive floor- think continental breakfast is included but best to check
3) No
4)Don't know
Four Points is not the best hotel on Milan, but is not a dump really.
Definitely your idea of taking the train is a good one- head into switzerland, go to sirmione, or if you want you can even head to Venezia comfortably on a day trip
Old Mar 14, 2006, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA - LFT GLD 1MM, UA - 2P, SPG - LFT Plat, Hyatt - Plat, HH - Gold, Avis - CHM
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
I have had a few pleasant stays at the Westin Milan. No problems at all. Joelfreak- can you tell us what happened?
i have to chime in as well, i had a great stay at the westin milan using spg points. only stayed one night, but was upgraded to a suite w/ turkish bath. great service too!
Old Mar 14, 2006, 6:01 pm

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
From my Traveladvisor post:

I booked a stay at this hotel for the final night of my week long trip to Italy, hoping to finish the trip in 5 star luxury before having to sit crammed in couch for 8 hours. I paid significantly more for this hotel than others that were avalible, because I have always had good experiences with Starwood properties. When I made the reservation, I made a request for a Non-Smoking room. A week before my visit, I called and confirmed that I would receive a non-smoking room. I called AGAIN 2 days before my arrival to make SURE that I would be getting a non-smoking room. When I arrived at the hotel, I was told that although I had requested a non-smoking room, none were avalible in the entire hotel for that night, and I would have to stay in a smoking room. This alone was enough to make my stay non-pleasurable, however this was the least of the problems on my stay. Upon arrival in my room, I discovered CAKED dirt on the carpet along ALL of the walls, enough that just rubbing your finger on the carpet would make your finger black. The door to my room was worn down at least 1/4 inch to the bare wood in one place, and next to the lock was a large hole that exposed the entire device. The TV in the room did not work until it was unplugged and 'rebooted', and the phones never worked at all. Upon complaints, all I could get was a verbal "I'm sorry, we are fully booked", but no offer for any compensation or solution. It was only upon complaining to Starwood Corporate that I was offered SPG points to "compensate" me for my "unfortunate experience", and they now deny that I ever was confirmed as non-smoking. I would stay FAR away from this property, as the Sol Media, where I stayed for the first night of my trip was 200% better than this property.
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Old Mar 14, 2006, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
I stayed here last year, and while by no means the best of Starwoods, it was not the worst. There is no club floor/room and while I am a Platinum, no breakfast was offered (in fact, now that I think of it, no amenity was given)??
It is near a subway stop and a 10 min walk from the main train station as well as 10-15mn walk from the Duomo and the main sights of Milan. Would I stay there again??, probably for the night stay credit, but only if I got a cheap rate. As for other things to do in the area, how about a very short train ride to Lake Como? You can stroll around the town, and take one of a number of ferries to the beautiful lakeside villages. Or take a bit of a longer train trip to Torino (it looked pretty interesting with all the Olympic promos). But there is also lots to do within the city of Milan as well. Aside from shopping and the Duomo, there is the 'Last Supper' (but make sure you have a reservation to see it, as you can't just walk in) and lots of other areas to explore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.