Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Columbia, SC, boutique hotel [Master Thread]

Sheraton Columbia, SC, boutique hotel [Master Thread]

Old Jul 22, 2008, 5:24 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
It is a category 4. Not sure how low the rates will go for a cat 4.
Exactly, but time will tell. There seems to have been a consistent trend of properties coming on line as CAT4s (presumably based on forecasted REVPARs), but then dropping back to CAT3s in short order. I, for one, will be interested to see if this place is able to maintain CAT4 going into 2009 or not.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by sbtinme
Exactly, but time will tell. There seems to have been a consistent trend of properties coming on line as CAT4s (presumably based on forecasted REVPARs), but then dropping back to CAT3s in short order. I, for one, will be interested to see if this place is able to maintain CAT4 going into 2009 or not.
I really would like to visit again. It looks very nice from the pictures. I might get the Presidential suite this time
Old Jul 22, 2008, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by HereAndThereSC
I'm guessing this was the SouthTrust bank building?

At first I thought it was the old Wachovia where I used to bank...
No, I don't think that a bank has been in this building in many years.
http://www.historiccolumbia.org/pres..._palmetto.html
Old Sep 25, 2008, 6:13 pm

Programs: SPG
Am I Dreaming? Sheraton?? Really????

IMO, a very successful rehab of historic, registered downtown office building and bank. Not your ordinary Sheraton by any stretch (could easily be a luxury collection with a few furniture changes). Huge windows, beautiful finishes, and quality construction. Comfortable Sheraton bed with white linens (thankfully the blue comforter is history). Bathroom is impressive -- as if cut and pasted from a Restoration Hardware catalog. Martini bar in the former vault is beautiful and intimate, but tiny. Hotels's second floor restaurant, POSH (poor name choice IMO) -- excellent food and ,with the exception of the steak, reasonably priced. Well above average food for a hotel, much less a Sheraton. Hotel staff was extraordinarily welcoming and helpful. Columbia may not be on anyone's bucket list, but this may be the best hotel in South Carolina outside of Charleston. Downside -- expensive valet parking. As a platinum, I was upgraded to corner suite with 3 televisions. Club lounge not open yet, but was comped the choice of a drink or an appetizer and free breakfast in the restaurant.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

There's a city-owned and operated parking garage about a half block up on Washington Street (between Main and Assembly). All but the top few levels are reserved, and it seems to take forever to wind your way up there. But it's a max price of $10 per day, and it's free to exit when it's not staffed -- often between 5:30pm and sometime in the morning (8:00ish?) as well as some sporadic times in between. The entrance is labelled with big blue letters...
P
A
R
K

No in-and-out privileges (unless not staffed, of course).

Metered parking spaces on the street are free during the night. I think (but I'm not certain) that the metered hours are 8am - 6pm Mon - Sat. Free on Sundays.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 5:37 am
Original Poster

The local newspaper's food critic gave a pretty decent review of the Sheraton's restaurant, POSH. I've been wanting to give it a try despite my usual aversion to hotel restaurants.

"The restaurants ambience remains true to the historic building, and the menu taps into that classic theme, with sophisticated dishes presented simply."

I'm still interested in seeing a room rate that includes a dining credit for dinner.
Old May 9, 2009, 3:24 pm

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
Boy, am I glad I found this thread. I've booked a stay next Tuesday night, but wasn't sure if it was a good choice or not, because the photos on the web site are so sparse. With such a nice property, I don't know why they don't get some decent photos up so people could know to expect something a little nicer. I had a choice of staying at the Westin in Greenville or this Sheraton, and picked Columbia just because I had not been to this property before.
Old May 14, 2009, 11:28 am

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
Got a platinum upgrade to a corner king suite on the 14th floor for a 1-night stay.

Overall, as suggested above, this property is much nicer than an average Sheraton. Nice wood floors, "old-time" ambience. The building's footprint is actually pretty small, which means the two restaurants are (respectively) in the basement and on the mezzanine level. Reception, Sheraton Link area, and two small bars (one inside an old bank vault!) take up the main level. The small footprint also means that there are only a handful of rooms on each floor, which I thought made for a somewhat cozy feel. It also means the rooms are not especially spacious.

I agree with a previous comment that this could almost have been a Luxury Collection property, but I'd think LC would at least have wanted to see more space available. As it is, the overall feel of the place is actually a little more like a Westin to me than a Sheraton.

The club lounge was "undergoing renovation." I went up to the club level and found the room labeled "club lounge," and it didn't seem to be under renovation at all, but was set up as a meeting room. It seems a bit small for a club lounge. Since the lounge was not available I got a free breakfast coupon. The breakfast buffet was quite nice, and ended up being a much better value than a free evening snack and the typical lounge breakfast.

My suite had a flat screen TV, a coffee table, a sofa, and a lamp in the living room, and essentially nothing else, as there was not room for more. This was plenty, though, although I definitely missed the comfort of a pillow or 2 on the sofa. I suppose I could've used one from the bed. The bedroom was smallish but adequate, and had a second flat-panel TV. The bathroom was not huge, but nice (no tub-shower only), and included a third flat-panel TV, which I found a nice touch. Windows in the suite added a nice, airy feel to the rooms. There were two free bottles of water, but no bathrobe. I was surprised and disappointed to find that there was no folding luggage "valet" in the closet, though I find one in every other US SPG property I've been to. So I had to put my bag on the floor.

The hotel offered shuttle service to take me to dinner (I chose Gervais & Vine, which I recommend - try the Moroccan Pork with Gorgonzola fondue), and shuttle service was prompt and friendly. Parking is valet-only, at $18/night, which seems a bit steep in Columbia, even though it is a downtown property. The manager told me I could probably find a spot on the street for free after about 6 pm, but I didn't bother trying that option.

I mentioned above that I could have equally chosen the Westin Poinsett in Greenville, SC for this stay. In general, I like the room quality at the Sheraton Columbia better than the suites I've had in Greenville, though in Greenville it's nice to have a little more space. Though I had a very good meal in Columbia, I vastly prefer the appeal of Greenville's downtown and dining options to those of Columbia. Given a similar choice in the future, price would play a part in the decision. If prices were comparable, it might come down to the weather. In weather that would reward an evening stroll, Greenville's downtown would draw me there. If it were too hot or too cold to spend much time outside, I might pick Columbia.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 7:33 am
Original Poster

The historic First National Bank building across the street is under renovation to become the hotel's new Sheraton Conference Center.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 1:59 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
In looking at room rates here, it gives the option of 1 King or 2 Semi-double beds. What is a semi-double bed?
Old Feb 9, 2010, 3:55 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by bulldoggolfer05
In looking at room rates here, it gives the option of 1 King or 2 Semi-double beds. What is a semi-double bed?
i just noticed that too..
At least it's a Cat 3 now, rates of about 100.. seems like I will try that next time I am in Columbia
FDW
Old Apr 22, 2010, 7:30 am

I am still collecting my thoughts on this property and will try to post pictures soon, but my impression is that while the physical plant of this property is indeed very very nice, service is extremely lackluster from the Assistant GM through the managers even down to the front line staff. Even if the physical plant is there, it still has a very long way to go before it could ever even be considered for rebranding as a Luxury Collection property (unless you are using the Ballantyne in Charlotte as a model).

One helpful tidbit in the interim though, despite calling the property ahead of time and speaking with Katherine who confirmed that the property gives free breakfast vouchers on the weekends for Platinum members, per the Assistant GM and in practice, they do not offer breakfast vouchers to stay in compliance with Sheraton brand standards .
Old Apr 29, 2010, 7:00 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bulldoggolfer05
One helpful tidbit in the interim though, despite calling the property ahead of time and speaking with Katherine who confirmed that the property gives free breakfast vouchers on the weekends for Platinum members, per the Assistant GM and in practice, they do not offer breakfast vouchers to stay in compliance with Sheraton brand standards .
I was provided with a breakfast voucher as a plat.. but this was a weeknight stay. I can't recall the reason why (maybe something about the lounge not having bkfast) but the food was fine. Nothing fancy - just buffet with grits and hot food.. some basic pastries.

Rooms were charming with dark wood floors and lots of character. There is a Starbucks stand in the lobby - convenient if you are on the go. Next time, I will have to check out the Vault bar.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by izzik
I was provided with a breakfast voucher as a plat.. but this was a weeknight stay. I can't recall the reason why (maybe something about the lounge not having bkfast) but the food was fine. Nothing fancy - just buffet with grits and hot food.. some basic pastries.
I'll detail more later in my full review, but I too was given a breakfast voucher for a weekend stay, but the agent seemed clueless and the manager on duty noted that it certainly was not the norm. I found the breakfast to be pretty average to below average with terrible staff.
Old May 12, 2010, 9:02 pm

After a pretty disappointing first stay, I have a second stay coming up here this Saturday and will post a comparative review (with pictures) afterward.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.