Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Athenee Hotel (formerly Plaza Athenee), Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Hotel email address: [email protected]
OR: [email protected]
Lounge: [email protected]

Le Royal Club Benefits + Facilities (As of Feb 20, 2019)

Print Wikipost

The Athenee Hotel (formerly Plaza Athenee), Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Old Feb 17, 2006, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
Arrow The Athenee Hotel (formerly Plaza Athenee), Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

This is a property in Bangkok.
Any experiences? Please post. I'll flesh this post out with a mini report in March.

Last edited by schoflyer; Feb 18, 2006 at 9:11 am
Old Feb 17, 2006, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K HYglob Marr LT Titanium
I went to take a look at it the other day and got a conformation that March 19 they will be an official Starwood property. Staff was freindly and was shown a standard room and an Exec. Suite. Seemed OK.Also had a quick look at the lounge seemed very comfortable and large with free wireless.Agent seemed think as a platinum, upgrade chances were very good.Will definetly give it a try when it becomes bookable on-line through SPG.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by schoflyer
This is a property in Bangkok.
Any experiences? Please post. I'll flesh this post out with a mini report in March.
I have stayed here a couple of times. It is an Ok hotel- solid 4* choice in BKK. If you had to choose- my suggestion is the SGS is better for *wood- outside of SPG hotels you also have a lot of great choices in BKK for the same or less amount of $/BHAT etc.
Old Mar 17, 2006, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Access:
While some people do not feel the location of this property is convenient, I scratch my head and wonder where they are going in BKK. Sure, this is not Riverside Hotel, it is a Sukhumvit property. From a convenience standpoint, I see little or no difference between the Plaza Athenee, SGS, and WGS. At the Plaza Athenee, you are on Wireless Rd. opposite the Centerpointe. A 5 min walk (2 blocks?) puts you at the Ploenchit BTS. If your not going by BTS, you are closer to the River than your are at either SGS or WGS so taxi is a viable option.
Room:
I stayed the night before at the SGS because I needed 2 stays in 2 nights. While the SGS was nice as usual, I was treated to and Executive room upgrade at the Athenee. It was a very nice room, first impression was that this was nicer than either of the Tokyo Le Meridien properties I stayed at this week and I thought that down the road, this could become my BKK staple. Crisp white linens on my king, chair, ottoman, fruit, etc. Safe would not accommodate my IBM T40 laptop which is on the smaller side. Ultra portables would be OK. Broadband was billed at 321THB per hour or 640ish for 24 hours. My room was a high floor, XX12. Required room key access in the elevator. The bathroom was nice but on close inspection you noticed some deficiencies. A little mildew in the grout lines, some repairs to the shower tiles, etc. The hotel accommodated me with an early check-in as I showed up at 7:45 AM. I did however need to settle for the Smoking Executive room as opposed to a non-smoking deluxe. I would take my wife to this property.
Concierge:
I explained below a few posts down why I feel at least one member of the the concierge staff is not doing a good job. He told me to "Call yourself because they speak English and they may need to ask you a lot of questions".
Pool:
I thought the pool was very nice! Its actually swimable unlike the SGS pool. You do get Thai feel from the surrounding foliage, tables and architecture. It is on the exposed roof (approximately 4th floor?) and then the high rise portion of the hotel continues up from there. There is some seating undercover near the bar but the chairs around the Pool seemed nicer.
Lobby:
The entrance and hotel lobby definitely had a 5-star look and feel. Lots of marble, dining areas, lobby lounge, etc.
Starwood Acceptance:
This property is so *wood. They had SPG codes affixed to the reception counter/desk for the different status levels. Sure, this information will need to be updated once we determine how elites are treated in general, but there is no doubt that this property will be participating with SPG. They even asked me for my SPG number so they could add it to my in-house profile.
Overall Impression:
I will definitely go back at some point. It will be a function of cost performance vs SGS and WGS. If the SGS or WGS is just a few $$$ more Ill go for it. Otherwise, the Plaza Athenee was extremely serviceable. Well have to wait to see how the Platinums are treated before any final decisions are made.

Regards,

Schoflyer

Last edited by schoflyer; Mar 18, 2006 at 12:26 am
Old Mar 17, 2006, 9:50 am

Programs: AA:PLT&3MM, HGP:DIA, SPG:GOLD
Originally Posted by schoflyer
I'll elaborate tomorrow with a solid report but...
1) Room was very nice but bathroom was just a bit tired.
2) Location was very good, not too far from BTS. (3-5 min walk)
3) Concierge told me to "Call yourself because they speak English and they may need to ask you a lot of questions" when booking a car.
4) Pool Very nice! Pool bar/sheltered tables looked a bit barren.
5) Entrance and lobby definately 5* look/feel.
6) This property is so *wood. They had SPG codes affixed to the reception counter/desk for the different status levels.
7) They aske me for my SPG number so they could add it to my in-house profile.
8) Will definately go back at some point. Will be a function of $$$ and value vs SGS and WGS however.

Scho
Referring to the sentence in bold, I'm not sure I understand it.
Old Mar 17, 2006, 10:07 am

Programs: UA GM/Hyatt Diamond/SPG Gold/HI Plat/HHonor Gold/Delta GM
I stayed there once about a year ago. Got one of the lounge level room but no lounge access for about $100 a night. The room is classic and is decent size. The pool on the top floor is very nice and has a good view of the Bangkok but no one was there while I stayed there. There are many upscale/pricy restaurants in the hotel. The lobby was exceptionally large and elegant. The service was unremarkable. I took a peek at the lounge, it is pretty large and seems to have good selection of food and drinks.

The location is not very convienent but with the low cost of taxi in bangkok, it should not be a concern.
Old Mar 17, 2006, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bp888
Referring to the sentence in bold, I'm not sure I understand it.
I will edit my previous post with a full report shortly, however, in reference to this question...

I needed to book a car for transportation to and from a golf course that was pretty far out.

I asked th concierge to call 2 companies. AAC and Travel East and get quotes.

He got a quote from AAC but Travel East was not in his computer. He made no attempt to look up or find the number other than on his Concierge database. No telephone directory, no nothing. He basically looked at me and said he didn't have the number.

I said I may have it in my room and then he said that I should just call them because they speak English (hence I could communicate with them) and that would be a good idea because they would likely need to ask me questions.

I told him that all I know is the name of the golf course and thet HE was wthe one with the course address and location. He begrudgingly agreed to do HIS job and call if I could produce the number. What a bunch of bologna! That is not service period. That's laziness from a Concierge!
Old Mar 18, 2006, 12:53 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
I wonder if this hotel will be higher than a Cat. 3 for rewards purposes.....

It is also interesting to note that when I enter Bangkok in SPG.com, it tells me there are 4 SPG properties but only lists the SGS, WGS and ROS. It does not list, yet, the Plaza Athenee.....

The same with Tokyo. However, for SIN, the Le Meridien in Orchard Rd. comes up as a choice........

This is exciting; I am hoping the Hotel Eden in Rome becomes a SPG hotel!!!
Old Mar 18, 2006, 6:44 pm

Hi

The Plaza Athenee Bangkok is a Cat 2 hotel. Really good value in my opinion if they serve champagne during breakfast!
Old Mar 19, 2006, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA:PLT&3MM, HGP:DIA, SPG:GOLD
Originally Posted by lesmiz99
Hi

The Plaza Athenee Bangkok is a Cat 2 hotel. Really good value in my opinion if they serve champagne during breakfast!
Checked SPG.com but it doesn't say at the bottom of the hotel page what category this hotel is. How did you know that it's Cat. 2?
Old Mar 19, 2006, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by bp888
Checked SPG.com but it doesn't say at the bottom of the hotel page what category this hotel is. How did you know that it's Cat. 2?
I spoke to the hotel directly.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 5:15 am

Programs: UA LT 1K HYglob Marr LT Titanium
Originally Posted by lesmiz99
I spoke to the hotel directly.
I went in person today and ran into the resident manager today and DEFINETLEY is Cat.2..
He said it was a bit of a dissapointment and I have agree,IMHO as far as were concerned it is a great value for us as the redeeming customer.
Old Apr 9, 2006, 12:14 pm

Programs: LH SEN, QR Platinum, Bonvoy Plat, GHA Black, Hyatt Globalist
Bangkok Plaza Athenee - A Royal Meridien - location?

Hello,

I just checked the SPG Website for a hotel in BKK and found the Plaza Athenee - a Royal Meridien Hotel.

It looks pretty good and is SPG Cat 2, but I don't have an clue where it is located.

Can anybody here give me a hint in what area it is? And how is the pool area? The last 10 times I stayed at the Grand Hyatt Erawan or at the Royal Orchid Sheraton.

Thanks, Martin
Old Apr 9, 2006, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
It's on Wireless Road between the Conrad and the Ploenchit Sky Train station. About a three minute walk the the Sky Train.

Looks nice, but I have not stayed there yet.
Old Apr 9, 2006, 10:33 pm

Programs: AmEx Centurion, SPG Platinum; LH Senator; Sixt Platinum; HHonors Gold
In case your company office is at Four Seasons Place (nothing to do with FS hotel) then location is really good in case you want to earn *Wood points. Otherwise Westin on Sukhumvit could be a better hotel.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.