Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Athenee Hotel (formerly Plaza Athenee), Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Hotel email address: [email protected]
OR: [email protected]
Lounge: [email protected]

Le Royal Club Benefits + Facilities (As of Feb 20, 2019)

Print Wikipost

The Athenee Hotel (formerly Plaza Athenee), Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Old Jun 12, 2017, 1:29 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Originally Posted by Lament
No disrespect here , but as a Lifetime Plat i don't care about hotel toiletries .
I do.

And certainly appreciate that they replaced the small square soap bar by a larger one.

I guess that all guests, even frequent ones, are not interested in the same things.

Last edited by yosithezet; Jun 12, 2017 at 2:18 am Reason: Adjusting to FR Rules.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by Lament
No disrespect here , but as a Lifetime Plat i don't care about hotel toiletries .
If Starwood is your main hotel chain, I don't blame you. Toiletries offered by higher end and luxury hotels in the chain often leave much to be desired, especially when compared with other chains such as Hyatt. It is not unusual to find Aesop (once you tried Aesop's shampoo, you cannot go back), Le Labo, Ren or Jo Malone being offered at their higher end brands such as Park Hyatt, Andaz or even Grand Hyatt.

At Starwood's top brands such as W, LC and SR, you're often stuck with lackluster offerings such as Bliss and Remede. The only offering I enjoyed in the Starwood system is Thaan offered at SGS.

Just my two cents.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 11:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Central90210
If Starwood is your main hotel chain, I don't blame you. Toiletries offered by higher end and luxury hotels in the chain often leave much to be desired, especially when compared with other chains such as Hyatt. It is not unusual to find Aesop (once you tried Aesop's shampoo, you cannot go back), Le Labo, Ren or Jo Malone being offered at their higher end brands such as Park Hyatt, Andaz or even Grand Hyatt.

At Starwood's top brands such as W, LC and SR, you're often stuck with lackluster offerings such as Bliss and Remede. The only offering I enjoyed in the Starwood system is Thaan offered at SGS.

Just my two cents.
True for the W but I usually get good toiletries at LC and StR. For example, the Ivy (LC in Minneapolis) has its own spa brand which I like very much and the sizes are generous.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 1:22 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Plat benefits are now two pieces of clothes to be washed each night (no longer once per stay as wiki says). Confirmed to me that this will be reflagged as Luxury Collection. Have to say the renovated suites here are gorgeous - so nice that I might switch back and forth w SGS now.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 3:20 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Central90210
It is not unusual to find Aesop (once you tried Aesop's shampoo, you cannot go back)
This literally happened to me at the Park Hyatt Tokyo back before Aesop had gone anywhere else.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 8:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Stayed here twice in last month for 4-5 nights each time. I have to say I really like this hotel - it underperforms SGS on service but it is improving (hiring tons of people including some from SGS as they prepare to rebrand to luxury collection) and the hardware is great. I honestly couldn't tell that SGS recently renovated so hardware there looking a little tired. But PA''s hardware nice.

Pool area is nice and uncluttered. I like the look of SGS pool area more as it is more tropical but sometimes it is impossible to find a lounger and for families virtually impossible to sit together.

Club lounge is really nice with ample food and drink at both tea time and cocktail hour. Really nice spreads. Wish they had more fresh squeezed juice options, like SGS has, but overall quite good. They let you have cocktail hour at any of the food areas. Staff do not always know this so sometimes a call needs to be made to duty manager. But when it works it is quite nice.

Gym has good assortments of free weights and machines. Quite nice.

Breakfast is spectacular. Coconuts, fresh squeezed juice. All nice.

Suites are beautiful. They are some of my favorite rooms in the Starwood property list.

Location is good. A little quiet and not much around. But it is closer to the Arab quarter and Nana than SGS is. Some folks have said it is far away but I don't see that at all.

Overall this probably has become my favorite property in bangkok. Basically I'll stay here or SGS depending on rates. SGS has more plats too which can make upgrades harder to get sometimes. But you can't go wrong with either property.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 5:48 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Originally Posted by UASPG
Nov 2, 2014, 2:14 am

Anyone heard that the PA will switch brand to 'Luxury Collection'?

I cannot confirm this information which might have been discussed here previously.
It should finally happen this October - quite a long process.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 8:30 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
booking my first stay here for mid-october - looking fwd to it
Old Sep 1, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SHLTP
<snip>
Suites are beautiful. They are some of my favorite rooms in the Starwood property list.
<snip>
Overall this probably has become my favorite property in bangkok. Basically I'll stay here or SGS depending on rates. SGS has more plats too which can make upgrades harder to get sometimes. But you can't go wrong with either property.
Interesting; do you get upgraded to suites at this hotel?

As a mere PLT I have never had anything other than a corner room as an upgrade. Yet I think my hit rate for suites at SGS is 100%.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by Moomba

As a mere PLT I have never had anything other than a corner room as an upgrade. Yet I think my hit rate for suites at SGS is 100%.
Most returning plats would say the opposite - ever since the SGS renovations started there have been pretty slim chances to get a suite over there. At the PA there are plenty of suites and plat treatment has been good (to me, and others).
Old Sep 1, 2017, 7:38 pm

It has been a few years that I don't have any problem to get a suite at either place, but I avoided the SGS during the renovation.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Moomba

I stayed at the LM once when the protests were blocking the intersection in front of the hotel. No suite and the hotel was effectively empty.

I didn't go back.

Ever since the SGS started its [lackluster] renovations, and now that they are completed, I have yet to receive a suite upgrade in at least a dozen stays of differing lengths.

Originally Posted by remymartin
Most returning plats would say the opposite - ever since the SGS renovations started there have been pretty slim chances to get a suite over there. At the PA there are plenty of suites and plat treatment has been good (to me, and others).
Agree on the former, but disagree on the latter, although my single stay was years ago.

Originally Posted by UASPG
It has been a few years that I don't have any problem to get a suite at either place, but I avoided the SGS during the renovation.
There was no reason to avoid the SGS. The renovations didn't really affect the guestrooms for the most part.

It was just not much of a renovation, overall.

Prior to the renovations, I was ~95% for suite upgrades. I am now at zero.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Ever since the SGS started its [lackluster] renovations, ....It was just not much of a renovation, overall.
I think of it as a redecoration more than a renovation, except for the mid-corridor suites (xx12, I think), which were renovated into real suites. Previously, they were more like two connecting rooms, with the bed replaced by living room furniture in the smaller one. I think that it has the same number of suites as it did before the renovation, -- what hurts suite upgrades here is the hotel's popularity and the large number of PLTs who are regulars. It's not unusual at this hotel to have more PLT guests on a particular night than there are suites in total, and presumably some people pay cash for the suites, too.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
Any experiences with the spa package? Going solo and it seems like it's worth the $50 upcharge if i get one of the nicer treatments, plus I can get the points with plat as well as breakfast
Old Sep 11, 2017, 7:28 am

Marriott to Rebrand Luxury Hotel in Bangkok, Thailand

It's finally official:

http://www.asiatraveltips.com/news17...eBangkok.shtml

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.