Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Athenee Hotel (formerly Plaza Athenee), Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Hotel email address: [email protected]
OR: [email protected]
Lounge: [email protected]

Le Royal Club Benefits + Facilities (As of Feb 20, 2019)

Print Wikipost

The Athenee Hotel (formerly Plaza Athenee), Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2006, 1:42 am

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
great

hi,

about the location it seems to be close to shukumvit. how far is it from the westin?

i love spg for adding meridiens...

dp
Old Aug 28, 2006, 11:18 am

Programs: AA/EXP 3MM; UA/1K; HY/DIA; SPG/PLT; Fairmont/Life PLT
Originally Posted by derpelikan
hi,

about the location it seems to be close to shukumvit. how far is it from the westin?

i love spg for adding meridiens...

dp
dp:

The Meridien Plaza Athenee the shiny glass tower 2 buildings down from the Conrad on Wireless Road.....

If you arrive by car from the Sukhumvit direction, you can't miss the flashy fountain and glittering lobby.....but vehicles have to enter from the back....
Old Nov 8, 2006, 9:13 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, OW Emerald, HH Diamond
Bump--I just booked three nights at this hotel for late November. Wanted to hear some recent experience. Particularly around Plat upgrades, was breakfast included, how is the lounge access, etc. Thanks!
Old Nov 9, 2006, 9:52 am

Programs: UA LT 1K HYglob Marr LT Titanium
Originally Posted by vivrant
Bump--I just booked three nights at this hotel for late November. Wanted to hear some recent experience. Particularly around Plat upgrades, was breakfast included, how is the lounge access, etc. Thanks!
Yes to all.They are pretty good about suite upgrades for Platinums,breakfast is served in lounge and is another plat. benefit.Lounge is opened all day with snacks and cocktails served after 530PM.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 3:37 pm

Wanted to post my experiences at this hotel.

Stayed here for just a night as we were transiting BKK on our way to Cambodia. Booked 2 rooms on pts for the family. As a plt got 1 room upgraded to a jnr suite (at the corner of the floor). Despite requesting, did not get connecting rooms (understandable due to the upgrade). However, the 2 rooms though on the same floor were not close to one another.

The suite was rather sparsely furnished and as others have mentioned - this had the hardest beds I've found in any hotel.

On checking in was told that due to my Plt status only one room had access to the lounge. I told the person that I had never encountered this before - either both rooms get access or none. I even talked to the night manager but he wouldn't budge. Overall, the lounge had a nice spread for breakfast. However, the staff were overwhelmed and were not doing a very good job.

There were also 3 computers in the lounge with internet access.

The pool was pretty nice and my kids enjoyed it.

Overall, I would not stay in this hotel again. I think the rooms at the SGS and the Royal Orchid are much nicer and the location of the Royal Orchid on the river means that I would make that my first choice if visiting as a tourist.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 11:57 am

My review of the Plaza Athenee BKK, A Royal Meridien Hotel. With pics.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 2:49 pm
Community Director Emerita

QF009, what a great idea to link over to your report in the trip report forum, where we are able to see your pictures of the property.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 5:08 pm

Location: NORTH AMERICA, SOUTH AMERICA, EUROPE, MIDDLE EAST, SOUTH AFR, ASIA AND OCEANIA
Originally Posted by acnev
Wanted to post my experiences at this hotel.

On checking in was told that due to my Plt status only one room had access to the lounge. I told the person that I had never encountered this before - either both rooms get access or none.
Since the Platinum membership is earned individually, i think the program benefits are only extended to the room that the member is staying in. If i were to book my whole family in 5 rooms at the hotel, I wouldn't expect them to extend the lounge excess all my family members in the 5 rooms.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
QF009, what a great idea to link over to your report in the trip report forum, where we are able to see your pictures of the property.
A huge dose of 'IMHO' need to be read into the TR though. My views are clearly biased towards Ws or any modern style properties, hence my dislike of the decor at LM BKK. But if you like that kind of hotel I suppose it's a pretty nice place.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 1:56 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
anybody know if this hotel is leaving starwood
Old Jan 2, 2008, 7:11 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Marriott, Hertz #1 Club
Great Stay

I just stayed for 2 nights over New Year's. The hotel was great: the staff were helpful and very nice, the hotel and pool and rooms were all lovely, and the benefits of platinum status was great (and it was my first time staying anywhere as a platinum).

The location is right next to the skytrain, just like the SGS and the WGS. I prefer the Westin and Sheraton's location a bit more, but only for some of the immediate joys of walking outside the hotel. The ease of getting anywhere in town is the same. The Plaza Athenee treated its guests like a true 5 star experience and not like a business hotel. In the evening we received a bowl of great fruit (much better than at the Westin) and for New Year's, a plate of snacks and chocolate.

The lounge was great with a tea (with snacks)served from 3-5, drinks and snacks from 6-8, and a buffet breakfast from 6-11 that was not large, but covered all the ground of a typical buffet breakfast including omelette station.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 8:11 am

Mrs. Globehopper and I recently enjoyed a stay at this property-- as Plat we were upgraded to a 2 room suite with views in 2 directions.

While I prefer the decor of either the SGS or the WGS, the room was nice--if not a bit on the dated side.

The Club Lounge is one of the largest SPG lounges that I've seen (the Sheraton Taipei is another SPG hotel with a large lounge) and during the evening was well stocked with a variety of snacks and drinks.

The swimming pool area was nicely landscaped, and much more usable for swimming than the SGS's pool.

As we had an early departure for a 08:00 flight out of BKK, we opted for the free buffet breakfast on the ground floor, which opens at 05:30!

As for location, we prefer either the SGS/WGS as it plugs right into the SkyTrain & Metro, or the river views of the ROS.

Overall, excellent Plat recognition and good customer service.

Our only ripple in this calm stay was the hotel's handling of the taxi cab service to the airport.

At 06:00, it seems BKK taxi drivers are eager to take advantage of time pressed hotel customers by helpfully offering to lighten their wallets so as not to exceed baggage weight limits. It took us three taxis before we found an honest driver.

The first driver offered to take us to the new airport for a 450 Baht flat fare (double the amount). We bailed out immediately and asked the hotel to summon an alternate taxi.

The second driver started to take us on a scenic tour of BKK by driving the opposite direction from the expressway on ramp to the airport (they're supposed to make the first U-turn on Wireless Rd, and after missing about 5 chances to make that U-turn) and helpfully offering to add a 50 Baht airport service fee (payable leaving the airport, not going to the airport) we had him drive us back to the LM, where they were surprised to see us again.

We abandoned the cab, meter running, and left a fuming driver cooling his heels in the hotel entrance. He wanted payment, but my contract with him ends when he started to try and take advantage of us.

We spoke to the Asst Manager, who was unhelpful. He explained (incorrectly) that taxi drivers are supposed to charge double the meter to the airport, as they cannot pickup a return fare. I've been meaning to write a letter to the hotel GM about this. He also explained that the hotel has no control over the taxi drivers once they leave the property (true). I explained that ROS, WGS, SGS, Shangri-La (but not the LM) all hand the customers a taxi card with the number of the taxi written down in case of fare disputes or other situations. The taxi drivers see this, and it helps keeps them honest.

We finally shared a cab with another concerned couple who witnessed this taxi roulette-- and we got there without further delay or hassle. In the absence of the hotel providing a taxi card, I took a digital photo of the taxi license plate and driver (important to use the flash (even if not needed) so the driver knows he is being photographed), and this trick has worked well world wide to tame drivers who might otherwise think of overseas visitors as a mobile ATM.

The behind schedule airport express train to the new airport is supposed to open in late 2008--much of the elevated guideway is already in place and new trains have been delivered. Longer term, this will offer an alternative-- although this is really the first time we've had any issue with an early morning taxi ride to BKK in our many visits to this city.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 11:46 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
I absolutely love this hotel. My favorite in BKK.

Have always gotten a suite or a Exec room. Staff attentive and friendly. Hotel seems very clean, too. ^ Always welcome me back, but in a friendly, discrete manner.

Option to eat breakfast downstairs or the lounge is great.

I stayed here Xmas eve/Xmas day a week or so back. When I arrived back to my room on Xmas eve, santa had come and left a red stocking with homebaked pastries for me.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 5:02 pm

Programs: DL/PM, *Wood Platinum
Just to second Globehopper's observation...
My only problem with LM Athenee is that taxis are always a problem. For some reason at WGS or SGS, the doorman can always immediately summon a taxi--at LM Athenee you are at the whim of taxi drivers willing to turn off Wireless into the property. On more than one occasion, I have gotten fed up waiting for more than 15 minutes and walked down to Wireless -- doormen didn't seem to care.
Apart from that, good hotel, good service, great breakfast downstairs.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 4:30 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
I picked up a very good pre-paid rate on SPG.com for four days over the New Year, as we were using BKK as a base for visiting several other spots in Thailand and Laos. We had previously been at the ROS for the start of the trip, and later we came back to BKK and stayed at the GH Erawan.

As a Plat I received an upgrade to a large suite. However, I believe that this was more a function of a cute daughter with me than my status, as the receptionist changed our room after chatting with her.

1) The room was very nice with the traditionally hard LeM beds, and decorated in the formal, European style. The bathroom amenitied were outstanding, including massage oil and bath oil in addition to the normal items. The suite bathrooms were both nice, and no evidence of aging in our room.
2) The location was fine, just a quick turn around the corner to the Ploenchit BTS station.
3) As mentioned above, the Concierge didn't exactly over-exert himself when I requested him to purchase train tickets or tickets to the Jim Brown Puppet Theater. We ended up doing it ourselves. This was the low point of the experience.
4) The pool was very crowded every day, and we had to wait for seats. The pool attendant was nice enough, although he spent his time allocating seats rather than lifeguarding. Better pool that the Erawan GH, not quite as good as the ROS for kids. You can have a massage in one of the cabanas at the pool.
5) The entrance and lobby has a very formal, European feel. They probably don't care to have a four-year-old using the curving formal staircases for her personal racetrack.
6) This property really goes in for the whole "We are French" thing, even more so than most other LeMs. I could do without the French on every menu, sign, etc.
7) The spa has a pleasant ambience. There are probably several superior massueses in town, but if you want a massage in the hotel, this would be a nice place to have it done.
8) The lounge offerings were very formal. Tiny canapes and sandwiches for tea, lovely hot breakfast items to order. My wife enjoyed the afternoon teas. The staff were very kind, but again, this is a reaction to my daughter, I think. Three computers in the lounge. I personally prefer the food offerings at the ROS or the GH Erawan.

All in all, a nice stay, and given the price we pre-paid, a good value for money in Bangkok.

Last edited by Wilbur; Jan 10, 2008 at 6:32 pm Reason: typos

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.