Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starwood Black out dates -- "Special Events"

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2011, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Starwood Black out dates -- "Special Events"

Has anyone experienced black out dates through SPG platinum?

I was under the impression that if a room was available points could be used to purchase it.
Friday i called SPG Platinum and was told that a room at DFW Sheraton could not be purchased with points due to the fact that the hotel was oversold. I could however because of my status purchase at the rack rate of $399.00. Looking at the website today (4 days later), rooms are offered for $319 on SPG.com So i called SPG Platinum again and i was told points can't be used b/c it is a "special event" which equals a black out.

so much for the no black out policy
Old Jan 25, 2011, 9:43 am

Programs: spg gold, CO Platinum, MR Gold
Originally Posted by jbo735
Has anyone experienced black out dates through SPG platinum?

I was under the impression that if a room was available points could be used to purchase it.
Friday i called SPG Platinum and was told that a room at DFW Sheraton could not be purchased with points due to the fact that the hotel was oversold. I could however because of my status purchase at the rack rate of $399.00. Looking at the website today (4 days later), rooms are offered for $319 on SPG.com So i called SPG Platinum again and i was told points can't be used b/c it is a "special event" which equals a black out.

so much for the no black out policy
May I ask what dates you were looking to book? If it is during superbowl weekend (since the game is in the DFW area) I can see that being a reason for the hotel being sold out and not being able to redeem points for a room.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 9:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Welcome to FT, jbo735!

Looking at the website today (4 days later), rooms are offered for $319 on SPG.com
I doubt those are Standard rooms, and therefore would not be available for award redemption. Awards can only be booked when Standard rooms are available.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Yes this is superbowl weekend.
The SPG website indicates this is the standard "special event" rate.
I'm not sure how to confirm if this is a standard room, however, i ran into the same issue with the "aloft" property which i've been told has only standard rooms.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 10:29 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Yes this is superbowl weekend.
The SPG website indicates this is the standard "special event" rate.
I'm not sure how to confirm if this is a standard room, however, i ran into the same issue with the "aloft" property which i've been told has only standard rooms.
What exact dates are you looking to book?

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Jan 25, 2011, 10:47 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
If it's a standard room that is available for cash, then it should be available as an award, too, for the same dates.

Related threads from past "special events" in which Starwood Lurker commented...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...as-2006-a.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...-question.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...-olympics.html

One way to help determine whether the room type that you are trying to get is a "standard" room is to find that same room type as an award on another date. The Traditional King is offered as an award on 2/8/2011 and is available for cash on 2/4-2/7, so it should be available as an award on 2/4-2/7.

However, there are clearly some minimum stay and/or check-in date restrictions on Dallas hotels that weekend. A shorter stay for 2/5-2/7 is not offered for cash, so it doesn't have to be offered as an award, either.

Based on the above threads, I'd suggest letting Starwood Lurker help. ^
Old Jan 25, 2011, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Superbowl can definitely qualify as Special Event.@:-)
Old Jan 25, 2011, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by TerryK
Superbowl can definitely qualify as Special Event.@:-)
Yes, but regular award room bookngs can't be denied on that basis if they are selling the same room types on a Starwood proprietary web site.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Jan 25, 2011, 1:39 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Where there can be some confusion is that Special Events can be used by a hotel to protect themselves from getting overbooked by Plats willing to pay RACK rate. From the SPG T&Cs:

b. If a Platinum Member attempts to book a room at least 72 hours prior to 3pm (hotel time) on day of intended arrival, and the participating property is sold out, the property shall make a standard room available at the regular (RACK) or Mandatory rate. BLACK OUT DATES APPLY AND RESORT PROPERTIES AND CERTAIN HOTELS ARE EXCLUDED....
A hotel can apply to SPG to request blackout dates for special events, but SPG has to approve this exemption. The hotel can't just declare exemptions whenever they feel like it. Based on past discussions in this forum, there aren't a lot of these exemptions. They are common, though, for major events such as the Super Bowl and the Olympics.

But none of this applies to awards when standard rooms are still available for cash. The Special Events exemption has nothing to do with standard awards.

(Starwood Lurker, is there an official term for the Platinum force/override option?)
Old Jan 25, 2011, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by sc flier
...(Starwood Lurker, is there an official term for the Platinum force/override option?)
We call it a Platinum force/override.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Feb 23, 2011, 7:39 pm

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
I have a similar question, but regarding minimum stays.

I'm trying to book the Sheraton Virginia Beach for the night of 9/2 on points; I can book the one night with cash (standard rooms appear to be available), but not with points. I called the Platinum Concierge and they stated that the hotel had a two-night minimum stay at that time.. when I pointed out that the hotel could be booked for one night with cash, PC called the property but was told that there was a two-night minimum stay. Still, I can go right online and book it with cash for the night I want. Any experience with this? Lurker?
Old Feb 23, 2011, 8:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jkm024

I'm trying to book the Sheraton Virginia Beach for the night of 9/2 on points; I can book the one night with cash (standard rooms appear to be available), but not with points. I called the Platinum Concierge and they stated that the hotel had a two-night minimum stay at that time.. when I pointed out that the hotel could be booked for one night with cash, PC called the property but was told that there was a two-night minimum stay. Still, I can go right online and book it with cash for the night I want. Any experience with this? Lurker?
Have you tried booking it as a 1 night paid stay and then calling SPG to change it to a pts stay and see what happens
Old Feb 24, 2011, 7:27 am

Programs: AA Gold; SPG: Gold:
I had the exact same issue with the Sheraton Old San Juan hotel in Puerto Rico. It is infuriating.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 9:48 am

...Still, I can go right online and book it with cash for the night I want. Any experience with this? Lurker?
Originally Posted by ontheway
I had the exact same issue with the Sheraton Old San Juan hotel in Puerto Rico. It is infuriating.
A hotel cannot impose a more onerous set of conditions on an award reservation. The MLOS needs to apply to all rate plans if one is in place.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Feb 24, 2011, 11:02 am

I'm trying to book the Sheraton Virginia Beach for the night of 9/2 on points; I can book the one night with cash (standard rooms appear to be available), but not with points. I called the Platinum Concierge and they stated that the hotel had a two-night minimum stay at that time.. when I pointed out that the hotel could be booked for one night with cash, PC called the property but was told that there was a two-night minimum stay...
Thyetus was kind enough to report this to the property and it appears there was a system error in place. Their prepaid advanced purchase rates were not restricted appropriately. They have fixed the situation so no rates are being offered for one night and they do confirm that they have a 2 night length of stay restriction for Friday, September 2, 2011 for all rates whether they are paid or award bookings.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.