Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

ADA (Accessible) room is cheaper. Should I reserve it.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ADA (Accessible) room is cheaper. Should I reserve it.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2016, 11:57 am

Data Point: In the 11+ years I worked in hotels, there was only one single night we ever needed all of our accessible rooms. Once in over 4,000 nights.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by madonnal37
I have a huge problem with you people who think you can take the accessible room I hope you never have to gain access to the club of those who need it. I bet you guys are the ones who park in my parking space too.. wow.. I sure wish I could walk again and not need that room.. totally sad to see such disrespectful people say. can I get the accessible room its cheaper. well hell, my wheelchair is about $40k.. is that cheap..
I think we're being punked, since it was April 1 and all.

Either that, or someone was spoiling for a fight! How else do you explain digging up a 10 year old thread with a great big chip on your shoulder. Maybe ask your doctor to change your meds?
Old Apr 4, 2016, 12:14 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Whether or not we ever see the poster again, the discussion is a valid discussion. It isn't specific to Starwood, of course. If anyone has any constructive information to add one way or the other, go for it. If not, all the comments about how old the thread is and the like don't add anything to what is a perfectly valid discussion.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 1:11 pm

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Although I need a walking stick and can enter and exit a bath tube for showering only with huge problems I wouldn't book an accessible room at all! In my often frequented hotels I get always a room with an walkin shower. That's fine for me for the moment. If I really need a wheelchair in future we will see.

For me it would be making sense if accessible rooms are only bookable by persons who need it. May be it is possible to ad something to the account opening the " Switch " to accessible rooms.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 1:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I asked the GM at a hotel I frequent about this, and he said the accessible rooms rarely if ever sell out, and he had no problem with anyone reserving them, as they then left "more desirable" other rooms open for later sale at higher prices.

Be aware that you may not get upgrades since the staff may believe you actually require the accessible room.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 1:37 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
I've booked them on a few occasions when price is lower and put a note in my reservation that I don't need an accessible room. Seems to work.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 2:21 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Why not just tell the hotel (by telephone, PLT Concierge or Ambassador) that you don't need a room equipped for people with disabilities, and just want the rate?

isn't that exactly what the OP did when they put a note in the reservation?
Old Jun 9, 2016, 8:32 pm

This thread is absolutely hilarious, especially since the poster disappeared, trolling at its best!

But while we are on the subject, has anyone ever complained about getting an ADA room? Usually they are at a cheaper rate but i dont book them because like someone else said, the showers usually suck.

Right now I am at a Westin and booked their "rejuvenate suite" specifically for the shower they advertise. This shower has 3 spouts coming out of the wall and a rain shower overheard head. Terrible for water conservation but great for your body. Sure enough, they throw me into an ADA room with this tiny detachable shower head that won't even stay up. I had a better shower experience at Comfort Inn last weekend that my cheap dad booked for us. On top of that, I don't even think anyone in a wheel chair would enjoy this shower as they would get blasted directly in the face with water.

Many times in my life I've gotten an ADA room and never have complained as its not that big of a deal. I'm spg gold and getting close to platinum; I don't expect hotels to roll out the red carpet for my arrival but out of the whole hotel I find it hard to believe that they couldn't have given this to someone without status. I don't care if I get an upgrade, but I certainly don't want a downgrade. Any thoughts?
Old Jun 10, 2016, 2:26 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
I agree with the poster from 2006... book the room, put in special requests that a ADA room is not needed, let your upgrades apply.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 7:43 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by nsummy
This thread is absolutely hilarious, especially since the poster disappeared, trolling at its best!

But while we are on the subject, has anyone ever complained about getting an ADA room? Usually they are at a cheaper rate but i dont book them because like someone else said, the showers usually suck.

Right now I am at a Westin and booked their "rejuvenate suite" specifically for the shower they advertise. This shower has 3 spouts coming out of the wall and a rain shower overheard head. Terrible for water conservation but great for your body. Sure enough, they throw me into an ADA room with this tiny detachable shower head that won't even stay up. I had a better shower experience at Comfort Inn last weekend that my cheap dad booked for us. On top of that, I don't even think anyone in a wheel chair would enjoy this shower as they would get blasted directly in the face with water.

Many times in my life I've gotten an ADA room and never have complained as its not that big of a deal. I'm spg gold and getting close to platinum; I don't expect hotels to roll out the red carpet for my arrival but out of the whole hotel I find it hard to believe that they couldn't have given this to someone without status. I don't care if I get an upgrade, but I certainly don't want a downgrade. Any thoughts?
It's entirely possible the agent may have put you in that room without stopping to think that it was ADA-configured. I have never had any trouble calling the front desk and asking for another room because I preferred the room that was not in the ADA configuration, as long as the hotel isn't sold out. (Since you booked an upgraded room category, though, it would be worth confirming when they give you a new room number "this is in the same category I booked, right?".)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.