Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

FAQ: How long does it take to transfer starpoints to AA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ: How long does it take to transfer starpoints to AA?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2008, 6:51 pm

Yes it is indeed. Looks like AA - HH is much better.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 11:27 am

Programs: Marriott LT-TE, United Gold
Converting *points to AA miles, how long does it take?

So I might be converting 20k *points to AA miles here in the near future to take advantage of the 5k bonus so I can get a couple of tickets to Europe for a little vacation. I'm wondering it anyone has done this and knows about how long it will really take for them to post into my AA account. On the SPG site it says it could take 2-4 weeks processing time but of course that could be way off. Just need to know so I know when to push the miles through. Appreciate the feedback!

Thanks!

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Feb 10, 2009 at 12:26 pm Reason: Added to newly created FAQ on topic
Old Feb 10, 2009, 11:32 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by chrisdeaner
So I might be converting 20k *points to AA miles here in the near future to take advantage of the 5k bonus so I can get a couple of tickets to Europe for a little vacation. I'm wondering it anyone has done this and knows about how long it will really take for them to post into my AA account. On the SPG site it says it could take 2-4 weeks processing time but of course that could be way off. Just need to know so I know when to push the miles through. Appreciate the feedback!

Thanks!
I'm not trying to prevent you from posting or belittle you but there is a search feature here on FlyerTalk. Using the words "AA" or "Advantage"

Here is one thread that might be helpful, there are others.
Transfers to AA
Old Feb 10, 2009, 11:39 am

Programs: Marriott LT-TE, United Gold
Appreciate it, was in a hurry but will def search next time. Should've remembered the golden rule of internet forums :lol:

Thanks
Old Mar 9, 2009, 1:22 am

SPG -> AA

I placed an online transfer on Thursday 3/5. Miles were in my AA account in the evening Sun 3/8/09. Just an update.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 4:06 pm

ust an update and another data point. I requested mileage transfer from Starwood on Thursday March 5th and the posted to my account Sunday evening March 8th. On my AAdvantage statement it reflects the Starwood date of March 5th (not the actual posting date).

I have a milage transfer requested yesterday Tuesday Mar 10 and look forward to seeing when it posts. I have a hold on a coveted europe business award that expires Friday Mar 13th. I hope it posts before the usual Sunday posting. According to these posts, other days happen quite often as well. We will see.

Tom
Old Mar 17, 2009, 1:15 pm

Programs: US Chairmans, AA Lifetime Gold, SPG Platinum
I just requested a tranfer on Saturday, March 14th, and the miles were already in my account on the morning of the 17th^^^
Old Mar 17, 2009, 1:59 pm

Location: SWUSA / AA PLAT, SPG PLAT, AMEX CENTURION, HHONORS Diamond
I have done many of them over the years; conventional wisdom (and consistent w/ my personal experience) is that as long as the spg points are moved by around NOON (not sure est, or cst, or the exact time zone) on a FRI....you should see them late SUN but by MON for sure.

I have personally missed the FRI noon and executed the move later on a given FRI and had to wait until the following SUN nt/MON am to see them.

spg does offer a guaranteed "expedite" process, and I even used that service once...but the "FRI NOON" informal & unpublished deadline seems to be consistent and repeatable.

YMMV.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Any more recent experiences on how long it takes for transfers to AAdvantage accounts to be completed?

Also, updated information regarding a previous post:
Originally Posted by iggyv
One way to "buy" additional time for your award reservation with AA is to make a change in it. For example, change the flight times/flight numbers. AA will then reset the clock on when you have to "purchase" your reservation. If the original flight times are still available when you're ready to confirm and "purchase" your res, simply change them back to the ones you wanted in the first place. No real limit on how many times you can do this.
This is no longer true. I proceeded to try to do this one evening. Starting at 11 pm before my 3 day hold was to expire, the agent messed up a few things (she wasn't well informed on the miles required for the change and had to talk to a supervisor to confirm I was correct) and it took much longer than expected. As it neared midnight the AA agent threatened to cancel my reservation if I didn't buy miles on the spot and get the revised itinerary ticketed on the spot. So I wasted $150 or so for I think it was 3000 miles. The next morning of course, the points to miles transfer was deposited. So beware trying to pull this manuever.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 5:48 pm

Bump:

Originally Posted by GrizShel
Any more recent experiences on how long it takes for transfers to AAdvantage accounts to be completed?
Old Mar 25, 2009, 6:06 pm

SPG points appear once a week, every Sunday or Monday as long as you meet the weekly deadline.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by futaris
SPG points appear once a week, every Sunday or Monday as long as you meet the weekly deadline.
Are you referring to Starpoints being transferred to AA? I.e., does this mean that a transfer request made last Sunday will probably appear in my AA account this coming Sunday or Monday?
Old Mar 25, 2009, 7:58 pm

Yes. To restate (more clearly):
AA miles from SPG points appear once a week, every Sunday or Monday as long as you meet the weekly deadline.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by futaris
Yes. To restate (more clearly):
AA miles from SPG points appear once a week, every Sunday or Monday as long as you meet the weekly deadline.
Thanks.

Unfortunately, although I did quite a bit of searching on this forum and I did not pick up this information until you told me.

I allowed my AA reservation to be put on hold with an expiry of 12:59 am Saturday night/Sunday AM !! Meaning I have zero chance of the miles from spg posting on time! I would have either waited to hold the reservations or had miles transferred from my Marriott Rewards account if I had known these facts.

Last edited by GrizShel; Mar 25, 2009 at 8:38 pm
Old Mar 25, 2009, 9:01 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by GrizShel
I allowed my AA reservation to be put on hold with an expiry of 12:59 am Saturday night/Sunday AM !! Meaning I have zero chance of the miles from spg posting on time! I would have either waited to hold the reservations or had miles transferred from my Marriott Rewards account if I had known these facts.
It's never too late to give a call to SPG to explain what happened. No guarantees but you should give it a try.

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.