Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Fiji Resort [Master Thread]

Sheraton Fiji Resort [Master Thread]

Old Dec 27, 2007, 1:23 pm

Talking

Originally Posted by DCF
Incidentally, there are three main vacation destinations in the South Pacific, which, in descending order of beauty and cost are:

1) French Polynesia (Bora Bora and Moorea)
2) Rarotonga and Aitutaki
3) Fiji

There is a major problem with Starwood's presence here: the long-abandoned new "Sheraton" on Rarotonga is now opening as a Hilton, and Starwood would really benefit from a Cook Islands presence, possibly by taking over management rights of one of the "big two" chains, i.e.

1) Pacific Resort Aitutaki and Pacific Resort Rarotonga (look up their website, the Aitutaki property is St Regis material).

2) Rarotongan Resort and Aitutaki Lagoon Resort (an overwater bungalow property).
Thanks DCF. We are planning to travel to this part of the world in 2009 and have begun planning. Your report will be invaluable to us.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 2:46 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Now reopened since closing in May for a $22 million renovation. Still a Cat3 property. This property participates in the Z4R 4th-night-free promo.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 4:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by sc flier
Now reopened since closing in May for a $22 million renovation. Still a Cat3 property. This property participates in the Z4R 4th-night-free promo.
Cool.. I need to get back there; I really enjoyed it there

I wish AA still had that 30K award special that they had last year/or was it the year before
Old Nov 4, 2008, 5:20 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
I stayed at the Sheraton Fiji in Feb 1997 back before SPG was born and then it was just the Sheraton frequent guest club. Got invited to the Manager's reception and did a promo tour of the then proposed Villas they were just beginning to construct. I would love to get back there now that Sheraton has refurbished, it looks like they have extended and completely re-done the pool ^.

One thing I do remember during my stay was that you could get amazing lobster dinners outside by the pool and beach for ridiculously cheap prices . It was so reasonable we were eating lobster nearly every night during our 10 night stay ^. Mini DG was nearly 2 so she spent some time in the kids club napping and babysitters for evening were $3 AUD for the NIGHT .

Do they still offer kids club?

Is Oct a good time of year to visit with regard to cyclone season? I have already experienced one Fijian cyclone in Nov about 19 yrs ago and I dont wish to experience that again - it was horrific!

When will C&P be loaded for the re-opened property?
Old Nov 4, 2008, 10:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by Downunder girl
I stayed at the Sheraton Fiji in Feb 1997 back before SPG was born and then it was just the Sheraton frequent guest club. Got invited to the Manager's reception and did a promo tour of the then proposed Villas they were just beginning to construct. I would love to get back there now that Sheraton has refurbished, it looks like they have extended and completely re-done the pool ^.

One thing I do remember during my stay was that you could get amazing lobster dinners outside by the pool and beach for ridiculously cheap prices . It was so reasonable we were eating lobster nearly every night during our 10 night stay ^. Mini DG was nearly 2 so she spent some time in the kids club napping and babysitters for evening were $3 AUD for the NIGHT .

Is Oct a good time of year to visit with regard to cyclone season? I have already experienced one Fijian cyclone in Nov about 19 yrs ago and I dont wish to experience that again - it was horrific!

they did in 2005 and from the looks of it (my kids were not with me) it was a nice one too

it was (trying to think back here) around $25 a day I think which to me is quite reasonable
Old Nov 4, 2008, 2:30 pm

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
Great news.We stayed there first a month after opening and visited at least at least once a year until the end of the 80s.Love Port's O Call.However it got really tired and so first moved to the villas and finally left SPG entirely.I am looking forward to renewing my acquaintance with this property.
Old Nov 9, 2008, 11:11 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by Downunder girl

Hi Downunder Girl,

Wrote to the property on your behalf.

The property does offer kids club. One of the new value adds is that all kids under 12 year can “Stay Play & Dine FREE”..!!!!

In additional, October is a perfect time of the year to visit. (no cyclones)

Meanwhile, I am trying to learn how to post some pics of the newly renovated areas onto FT. (If someone can teach me, that would jolly good.)

[email protected]
Old Jan 20, 2009, 10:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Specifically referring to the Sheraton Denarau Villas and not the Sheraton.

If one were to go there on a reward or C&P stay and assuming no upgrade, what would the standard guestroom be like?

The website seems to talk a lot about 1, 2 and 3 bedroom things...but I assume that is not the standard guestroom.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 1:39 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG LT Plat, AA 3MM EXP
Careful traveling here in the coming weeks, Fiji is in shambles right now thanks to some very fierce rains. Check here http://www.met.gov.fj/index.php for more details, especially the pictures on the bottom left (Nadi is the town near the Sheraton).
Old Jan 21, 2009, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by Renard
Specifically referring to the Sheraton Denarau Villas and not the Sheraton.

If one were to go there on a reward or C&P stay and assuming no upgrade, what would the standard guestroom be like?

The website seems to talk a lot about 1, 2 and 3 bedroom things...but I assume that is not the standard guestroom.
No plans set yet....considering something in May but wondering what the standard rooms are like at the Villas
Old Jun 3, 2009, 2:22 pm

Help picking a Fiji SPG property

we're planning for 3 nights in fiji this august, and have no clue which SPG property is best bet for comfort and upgrade opportunity.
From SPG.com looks like the Sheraton Fiji resort has been updated. The Westin looks kinda tired w/ no real pics of the rooms. Anyway, searched here and the info seemed dated from what I could find; so if someone has input on best SPG Fiji property, I'll all ears.
Thanks!

Sheraton Denarau Villas: https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...ropertyID=1158
Sheraton Fiji Resort: https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...propertyID=485
The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa, Fiji: https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...propertyID=202
Old Jun 3, 2009, 3:54 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, UA 1K, DL Gold, AA EXP
I would highly, highly, recommend not staying on Vitu Levu (where the Sheraton and Westin are) and heading out to some of the smaller islands. The beaches on the big island are muddy, have little coral, and generally aren't that great.

I stayed on the Yasawa islands and was thrilled at the crystal clear water, sea life, and coral. The Sheraton does have the benefit of being close to Nadi, but you aren't going to miss much by not being there.

Some of the other areas might be better, but Denarau didn't impress me at all.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 4:18 pm

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
Originally Posted by dartagnan
I would highly, highly, recommend not staying on Vitu Levu (where the Sheraton and Westin are) and heading out to some of the smaller islands. The beaches on the big island are muddy, have little coral, and generally aren't that great.

I stayed on the Yasawa islands and was thrilled at the crystal clear water, sea life, and coral. The Sheraton does have the benefit of being close to Nadi, but you aren't going to miss much by not being there.

Some of the other areas might be better, but Denarau didn't impress me at all.
The above, or, at a minimum, do a day trip to the outlying islands and another day trip to one of the villages in the center of the island. Definitely don't hang out all day at any hotel in Denaru.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 7:30 pm

buzz kill

wow buzz kill. we were hoping for 3 days of just beach chilling w/o having to move around a whole lot on our way back from Australia. Does anyone have anything good to say about any of the *wood properties on fiji?
PS: The Fiji thread relevant to my question in the SPG forum FAQ hasn't gotten a posting in almost 5 yrs!!
Old Jun 3, 2009, 9:06 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, UA 1K, DL Gold, AA EXP
If you look through the Fiji $51 thread, you'll find a lot of comments on Fiji in general.

I didn't mean to be a buzzkill, but if you're going to Fiji, you're doing yourself a disservice by staying at the SPG hotels.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.