Starwood Discount Codes (SET #)

Old Jan 9, 2006, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver
Starwood Discount Codes (SET #)

Does anyone have a listing of these? I saw a post on Marriot with theirs. has a compilation of Starwood numbers been made and posted?

I would be interested in getting some more as they vary by location. I also have some to share.

What is the best way to get this info available to all?
Old Jan 9, 2006, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Agree or disagree, the convention/norm has been that folks don't post these codes in the Starwood forum.

If you're particularly interested, Google is your friend.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 11:37 am
In Memoriam

Programs: CO OnePass Plat and SPG - Plat, Marriott Plat (don't use -it's a comp), AmericaWest CP
Originally Posted by carnesgh
Does anyone have a listing of these? I saw a post on Marriot with theirs. has a compilation of Starwood numbers been made and posted?

I would be interested in getting some more as they vary by location. I also have some to share.

We're a little more guarded with such information....

-Vincent
Old Jan 9, 2006, 11:59 am

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
I don't care for someone with ONE post under his/her belt fishing around for SET codes. These, as you surely know, are proprietary, contractual codes for qualified folks. FT is a great place to learn about special promotions, non-advertised deals, intro rates, point bonuses, etc, etc, etc.

However, we are a fairly united bunch when it comes to disclosing info that simply shouldn't be.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 12:04 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Google works well, or friends at select firms, if such is your cup of tea.

In any event, I know some Starwood hotels have asked for ID or documentation to support that a stay is related to said firm affiliated with a given corporate code.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 12:47 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: CO OnePass Plat and SPG - Plat, Marriott Plat (don't use -it's a comp), AmericaWest CP
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Google works well, or friends at select firms, if such is your cup of tea.

In any event, I know some Starwood hotels have asked for ID or documentation to support that a stay is related to said firm affiliated with a given corporate code.

They always ask for ID when I use mine, ususally I whip out a businesas card... (more so than my freinds who use the gov't rate)

-Vincent
Old Jan 9, 2006, 1:41 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
While I do not advocate posting SET codes, I have never been ask for corporate IDs at Starwoods or any hotels for that matter. The only one time I've been asked was when the hotel was oversold.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
I think you need to look at that Marriott thread a little more carefully. @:-) It attempts to list ALL discount codes, including those that are PUBLICLY available, or available to those with commonly held memberships, such as AAA, etc. It does NOT merely list the ones that are only available to those with particular corporate (or travel industry, etc.) affiliation!

Since the Marriott website works in a substantially different way from the SPG website, it really wouldn't be possible to make an equivalent list for SPG. And listing only SET numbers wouldn't be very kosher. Hence, there is no list on this forum.

When promos come out, however, people do post them on this forum -- both good and bad ones, both targeted and non-targeted.
Old Jan 15, 2006, 7:40 pm

hey guys,

give the newbie a break - asking isn't demanding. Naive perhaps, but hey I've seen worse from the multiple 1,000 group.
Old Jan 15, 2006, 9:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: some, * alliance, OW, ISIC,
The original intention of flyertalk as a forum was to share travel experiences and share beneficial information, not just self-beneficial.

With regards to the op's question, i dun think its unreasonable for us to post promotional codes like what has been happening at the marriot forum. and we do post offers, just that its not a consolidated list and its quite possible to do that. I dun think the op is asking specifically for personal gain here. He is merely asking if some of us could come up with a consolidated list of promos, if such a thing exists. Make it a sticky

But yes SET codes are often similar to credit card numbers so unless you know someone with one and know them well, they may be selfish and not share. FYI, my set code doesn't even bring up the rates half the time or bring up the more expensive rates.

starwood website interface is different from marriot and making a consolidated list allows us to save time searching for offers.

i would however be interested if some of our flyertalk moderators can explain WHY they do not allow the posting of promo codes and offers, NOT SET codes if thats the case, Maybe they could also shed some light as to whether starwood has any commercial interest in flyertalk or whether there is some agreement(disclosed or undisclosed) between william or anyone from starwood and flyertalk.

I havent heard of anybody's spg account being blacklisted as a result of posting offers, not SET #. It is a dishonest business practise and unethical. William does know some of our a/c numbers but i dun think he would blacklist our a/c or input negative remarks. If he has done so, do post it. But again, i highly doubt it.

So anyone wanna help??
Old Jan 15, 2006, 10:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by trekkie
. . .i would however be interested if some of our flyertalk moderators can explain WHY they do not allow the posting of promo codes and offers, NOT SET codes if thats the case, Maybe they could also shed some light as to whether starwood has any commercial interest in flyertalk or whether there is some agreement(disclosed or undisclosed) between william or anyone from starwood and flyertalk. . .

So anyone wanna help??
I'm one of the two FlyerTalk moderators for the SPG forum so I'll address your questions to the best of my ability and to the extent I believe that I understand what you are asking.

1) From my perspective, there's no problem with the posting of "promo codes and offers." I've never edited, deleted or otherwise altered a single one of them as best I can recall. Back in the day, SPG didn't restrict registration for specific promos to those individuals they targeted with them and they were published here within minutes of reaching individual members' mail boxes. It was a big problem, as lots of people signed up for them thanks to FT who weren't invited. Our position was that it was SPG's problem, not FT's. That's not so much the case any more, as SPG has figured out how to use technology to restrict promo registration to those they invited. Just look around in the various threads this past fall -- people struggled with that issue daily.

2) As for "some agreement (disclosed or undisclosed) between william or anyone from starwood and flyertalk," I can safely speak for the moderators of this forum that we're certainly not knowledgeable about any such agreement and, accordingly, provide no such privilege or protection to SPG or anyone else. You've probably seen the Starwood banner ads on FT or advertisements in InsideFlyer that I've seen and whatever financial arrangement governs those is between Starwood and Randy, the owner of FT and InsideFlyer. I can assure you that it doesn't come with any moderation or protective editorial rights with respect to this forum.

3) I'm not sure what "NOT SET codes if that's the case" means, so I can't comment on that except to say that I've also never edited, or been asked by FT management to edit or delete any SET codes from a FT thread. If you want a great example of this particular issue, I encourage you to visit the AVIS forum and this thread in particular, which lists every AVIS discount code any member has ever had the desire to post. It's not as though we're in the business of protecting these companies.

I hope that helps.

AZ Travels the World
Old Jan 16, 2006, 12:36 am
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Continuation. . .

Although AZ Travels the World was eloquent as usual with his explanation, I'm the other moderator for this forum and would like to continue/tag on to his explanation on a few things if I may.

I'd like to explain another reason re: SET codes that was slightly mentioned before - there are some corporations who have a SET code with *wood where the corporation has to track when it is used, by whom, and reports go back to their travel manager re: the stays as tracked by this code. There may be some companies who do not want the code to be given out to everybody due to this tracking and the possibility of their own corporate discount/stays being skewed in some way.

Additionally, to tag onto the information re: *wood and this forum. This question continues to come up by several people - although *wood Lurker (William) posts regularly on this board, he is not a moderator nor does he have a financial gain in any way with this board. He really does this as part of his job at Starwood to provide EXCELLENT customer service. He does not ask for threads to be deleted unless they are providing inaccurate information that has been discussed previously nor does he make decisions as to which threads are deleted/edited/etc. The latter part is strictly done by the two moderators for this forum; btw we are both volunteers and not paid by FlyerTalk. We both genuinely love FlyerTalk, stay at *woods quite a bit, and like giving back in some way. I hope that from AZ' post and mine this helps clear up any questions that posters may have regarding these points.

ldsant
*wood Moderator
Old Jan 16, 2006, 4:04 pm
DJZ

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, former UA 1K, SPG AMEX addict
SET codes and their effect on room rates

Maybe it would be OT, but I imagine we could talk about the effect that our companies' SET codes have on the room rate (this has been touched a little alrady in this thread).

Mine, for instance, does worse than the basic AAA discounts.

What types of companies get the biggest discounts? Are they only at specific locations or for the entire starwood system? I think it would make the thread relevant, interesting, and avoid the very valid concerns raised by the mods.

(not sure it would help the OP, so if mods want to break this out, please feel free to, thanks)

Last edited by DJZ; Jan 16, 2006 at 4:04 pm Reason: 'fare' to 'room rate'--a bit too mileaged out at the moment...
Old Jan 16, 2006, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Originally Posted by seawolf
While I do not advocate posting SET codes, I have never been ask for corporate IDs at Starwoods or any hotels for that matter. The only one time I've been asked was when the hotel was oversold.
I often stay on the ABA Set rate (American Bar Association). Have been asked to present my ABA card on several occasions. Once a desk agent was pretty savvy, I accidentally handed my California Bar card and she asked "Do you have an ABA card sir?" Luckily, I did.
Old Dec 23, 2006, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I once had a SET code. could not figure out where it came from, or why. could not get rid of it for about two years.

when trying to reserve a room, it would pop into the proper space. I could drop down and delete it.

Always curious, I would check room rates with and without set code.

the with set code room was never the least expensive.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.