Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Royal Orchid Sheraton, Bangkok, Thailand 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 5, 2014, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Print Wikipost

Royal Orchid Sheraton, Bangkok, Thailand 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2008, 3:42 am

Does anybody know which rooms have nice new bathrooms with separate tub and shower. It seems that the towers rooms definitely do. How about remodeled deluxe and deluxe premium rooms. What about junior and executive suites. An upscale bathroom is the one thing I am trying to accomplish. Also any idea which floors have been remodeled?

Is there an email to contact the hotel and inquire about paying for an upgrade in advance.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 10:57 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by hindukid
...Is there an email to contact the hotel and inquire about paying for an upgrade in advance.
I would use the Email Us link on their homepage at spg.com:

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefer...propertyID=172

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Jul 31, 2008, 1:09 pm

I just sent a message to the Email Us link. But so far I have not heard back from the hotel in my previous message questioning their rate of 8250/9250 per night for what they tell me is a 5250/night room.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 9:01 pm

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
So what would one say is the pecking order of "upgrades" at the ROS.
I'm booked in at SPG 50 cheapest king rate for 2 nights in the near future.

I place a premium on space, thai style, new/cleanlines and fine bedding.
Thanks in advance.

Thanks,

Scho
Old Oct 30, 2008, 10:12 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
As a Platinum you should get an upgraded room. Often a Exec Floor Room (lovely & redone), a Jr Suite, or one of the 1br Suites at the end by the river (my fave). You will have lounge access as well. They have a high number of plats each night, give good benefits & recognition. Quite often lately the end suites aren't enough for all the plats, but the Exec room, although smaller is lovely. It may have something to do with the renovations they're doing.

I prefer a lower floor for my cell phone signal (that I use for internet as well).
Old Oct 31, 2008, 2:55 am

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
Stayed there for a night last Monday and was upgraded to a newly renovated exec. room. I don't like this hotel, too much traffic and too many Americans
Old Oct 31, 2008, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by couscous
Stayed there for a night last Monday and was upgraded to a newly renovated exec. room. I don't like this hotel, too much traffic and too many Americans
Not just American but there seems to be lots of tourist groups. Also the atmosphere at the lounge is rather "festive".

Personally I rather stay at the SGS or Plaza Athenee.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 4:33 am

Programs: UA LT 1K HYglob Marr LT Titanium
This time of the year I've many European's staying at the ROS.

The lounge in the PM seems mostly German and NOT American as stated above.

Upgrades harder to come by as many rooms closed for renovations.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 8:12 pm

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
Originally Posted by couscous
Couldn't have been me. First timer at ROS. I do SGS and the occasional WGS.
But this time I think it's has what I'm looking for. Traveling with Thai first timer.

Landing after 11pm from the West Coast it's a quick look out the window and off to bed.

Morning is breakfast and 2 hour boat charter.

Something in the pm and then nice Thai dinner and maybe a run up to Vertigo.

After the second night its off to Hua Hin.

Looking for a little "wow" and a "welcome to bkk" hit for her. The way out of Thailand is via the SGS happy hour and buffet after 3 suite nights in Hua Hin.

For the amount of time awake in the room at the ROS, I will be able to feign satisfaction with anything that has been renovated or labeled suite.

I will be coming off my first longhaul in Y since 2002. (ugh!) Hopefully the NH F lounge at NRT will cheer me up!

We were originally going to run down to Hua Hin after the river trip (pm of day 2) but "one night in BKK" is better and more respectful outside of time frame of the upcoming cremation ceremonies. I was able to book a second spg50 night. The change saves me 14K points in HH. Dropping from a wasted a "5th night free" to just 3 suite award nights.

I'm sure that the ROS will hold it's own with its Thai service standards and Plat recognition. It will be a lovely base for my goal of creating a whirlwind BKK experience. Plus I've never stayed so I would like to expand my SPG frame of reference!

The ROS won't steal me from the SGS as a customer! However that new LM golf resort by the airport may

Look forward to reporting on my experience as well.

Cheers,

Scho

Last edited by schoflyer; Oct 31, 2008 at 8:54 pm
Old Oct 31, 2008, 8:18 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
They have the cruise ship contracts for Thailand, they stay here before and after moving up north to CNX
Old May 17, 2009, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Lots of photos of the Royal Orchid Sheraton here as part of a larger South Asia trip report.
Old May 19, 2009, 9:08 pm

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
Have just completed 3 night stay here.Only running at 20% occupancy.Still only an executive room on floor 27.They seem to interchange the words Towers and executive.This room is the saqme size as a standard room.recently renovated and looks nice but on closer inspection the wallpaper job is substandard and the shower certainly lets a lot of water onto the floor outside.
lounge is good.breakfast exactly as the pictures from Gleff.4 hot items per day-overcooked bacon and boiled(?)ham,an egg dish and one other.basically decided I didnt need a hot breakfast.Evening cocktails 1730-1930.Only 1 white and 1 red wine.Acceptable assortment of snacks.
Stated as a platinum benefit is 1 hours complimentary internet in lounge-however all ROS guests get complimentary internet at the Sheraton lionk on Floor 1 and willing give you extra hours.Pointed out the stupidity of this and given an access code for 3 hours-which I then used downstairs.
At the present floors 5-10 and the ground floor being renovated.So no riverside breakfast and the boat shuttle goes from the River Centre next door.
This was my 5th stay here(last was 10 years ago).By contrast a week earlier we stayed at the SGS for the first time and were upgraded to suite automatically.The SGS will certainly be our choice of sheratons in the fyture.
on the river I have stayed at the Peninsula,Millenium Hilton and ROS and I would rate them in that order.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question Any updates re construction, etc.?

Anyone stayed at the ROS in the past few weeks since drron and can comment on the status of renovations in terms of the noise, etc. impinging on enjoying the rooms, the pool or the riverfront area? Thanks.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 3:35 pm

Programs: SPG & CO Plat.
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Anyone stayed at the ROS in the past few weeks since drron and can comment on the status of renovations in terms of the noise, etc. impinging on enjoying the rooms, the pool or the riverfront area? Thanks.
I had a single night stay at the ROS in early June. The riverfront seemed closed off due to construction, there was a large construction fence blocking the view from the ground floor restaurant. However, I did not press the issue, so maybe there was a way to get back there.

I did not notice any noise pollution and was delighted with the welcome gift and my upgraded high-floor room w/ river view. My room seemed recently renovated, as it included A/V plugs for watching vids off my iPod. (I wish all hotels had this.) The new lounge is very nice and a wonderful improvement over the old one (which wasn't bad at all.)

In an upstream comment I complained about the taxi situation that existed at the ROS a year or so ago where the taxis would only run off negotiated, exorbitant flat rates. When it came time to check out and return to the airport the doorman made a point to tell me that my taxi would use the meter. Perhaps someone is monitoring comments here on FT and marrying them back to SPG accounts? If so, cheers! That demonstrates a considerable commitment to customer service. Of course, it could just be that after years of complaints the staff has taken to ensuring meters are used. Cheers to that as well. Either way - thanks, ROS, for the improvement.

BTW: the breakfast buffet on the ground floor (not the lounge) is the best among the Starwood properties, with the Athenee running a close second. The ROS has more space, and while the Athenee has the same number of stations, the ROS uses the extra room to include a selection or two extra at most of these stations.

Last edited by FatManInNYC; Jun 17, 2009 at 9:59 pm
Old Jul 10, 2009, 3:46 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Shangri-La Jade, IHG Platinum, TG Gold
Originally Posted by FatManInNYC
My room seemed recently renovated, as it included A/V plugs for watching vids off my iPod. (I wish all hotels had this.) .
what type of room was this ? suite / towers club room ? hope to upgrade to this type of room in my next stay to hook up my ipod to see how it works.
is there also a dvd player in the room ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.