Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Royal Orchid Sheraton, Bangkok, Thailand 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 5, 2014, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Print Wikipost

Royal Orchid Sheraton, Bangkok, Thailand 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2014, 12:14 am

Programs: SPG Ambassador, Star Alliance Gold
Stayed at ROS twice as a Plat this month.

NOTE: Plat upgrades do NOT extend to Club Suites of any kind (or so I was informed at check in), which includes Club Junior Suites and Club Executive Suites.

Great lounge (except for the sparse selection at breakfast).

Location is only good for touring the riverside area. Inconvenient to BTS.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 2:23 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by Bulletproof_Traveler
Stayed at ROS twice as a Plat this month.

NOTE: Plat upgrades do NOT extend to Club Suites of any kind (or so I was informed at check in), which includes Club Junior Suites and Club Executive Suites.

Great lounge (except for the sparse selection at breakfast).

Location is only good for touring the riverside area. Inconvenient to BTS.
I would think there shouldn't be any difference between Club and Non Club rooms/suites besides the additional access to the Club Lounge (which Platinum members would already have access to).

BTS access is quite alright since there is the complimentary boat ride which I do like.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:12 am

Programs: UA LT 1K HYglob Marr LT Titanium
Originally Posted by lcpteck
I would think there shouldn't be any difference between Club and Non Club rooms/suites besides the additional access to the Club Lounge (which Platinum members would already have access to).

BTS access is quite alright since there is the complimentary boat ride which I do like.
While the size of the suites are the same the layout is a bit different and they have more of a classic Thai feel to them.

Previous management during low season periods allowed Plat. upgrades to the Tower suites and Jr.suites.
This ended a few years ago.
Nowadays the best a Plat. guest can expect is an Exec. suite located 23rd floor and down usually ending room #'s in 17 or 18.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 10:12 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Went for breakfast in the lounge this morning. They have closed the front section of the lounge for breakfast service. I was told to move to the back, buffet area tables to be able to enjoy the buffet.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 9:05 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
i don't understand why the management doesn't want to offer full breakfast instead of 500 points as plat amenity... Also it is not possible to buy up to the buffet downstairs....

last time the hotel had several club/tower rooms available but didn't want to upgrade us. Suites were full but i insisted on an upgrade. Front desk clerk went back three times said she could not upgrade us. I asked for the front desk manager and suddenly it was possible. There is a 2piece laundry benefit at the towers/club room...
Old Mar 4, 2015, 6:00 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
I was told that I was gold, when I was platinum. The FD agent then called to ask permission to give me an executive room. But, the room we were given was on a musty, smelly, floor, I'm guessing it was a room that they don't use often, complete with stains on the carpet.

Service was quite poor during breakfast service. No staff came to give me utensils or a napkin, despite them seeing me serve myself from the buffet and make my own coffee.
No harm, no foul, as the spoons that were at the buffet were sufficient for me to enjoy my breakfast. I didn't have the heart to interrupt the staff from their gossip session. Besides, I was in a hurry to get to my meeting.

With similarly priced SPG, Marriott, and Hilton hotels, I wonder why I should rebook here again.

I'll call SPG to get the proper amenity credited. They only gave me 250 points.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 6:37 am

am Spg Gold. Booked Royal Orchid. Any breakfast? If not, can I use points to upgrade and is it worth it?

Thanks
Old Apr 14, 2015, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by metoo
am Spg Gold. Booked Royal Orchid. Any breakfast? If not, can I use points to upgrade and is it worth it?

Thanks
You don't get breakfast as a Gold benefit.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 8:37 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by metoo
Not as a gold, however you can use your points thought.

I just stayed here just over a week ago and thought the breakfast buffet spread was good, the buffet at the StR, SGS, LM, PA, WGS would all be better IMO. The buffet at the 4P and aLoft would probably give it a run for its money too, haven't stayed at the W so can't comment on that. That said, having breakfast on the river and seeing Bangkok in a different perspective by the river was enjoyable.

I took the hotel boat shuttle daily and it felt a little bit like Venice.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Accor ?????
I haven't seen this hotel appear on searches at spg.com for weeks. I can pull up rates by starting from royalorchidsheraton.com, which then links to starwoodhotels.com. But the latter website won't bring it up if I go there directly.

Any idea why?
Old Jun 29, 2015, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by BigE
I haven't seen this hotel appear on searches at spg.com for weeks. I can pull up rates by starting from royalorchidsheraton.com, which then links to starwoodhotels.com. But the latter website won't bring it up if I go there directly.

Any idea why?
I just tried the search and was able to pull up the hotel info. Maybe try clearing the cache/history in your browser? If that doesn't work, try another browser?
Old Aug 7, 2015, 2:32 am

Programs: OW Emerald
ROS - Advice please

Hi, I've recently switched all my hotel stays from Hyatt to SPG so am currently midway through the SPG Platinum Challenge - as of today I'm only a lowly corporate preferred guest! I've got a stay at the ROS coming up next week for one night. My fiance wants to stay on the river so I chose ROS mainly for that reason. Having read this thread however and some other reviews I'm a tad dubious about service levels/standard of decor etc. What should I expect/do? Any advice gratefully received.

Last edited by sebastiansw3; Aug 7, 2015 at 2:32 am Reason: Title
Old Aug 7, 2015, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by sebastiansw3
Hi, I've recently switched all my hotel stays from Hyatt to SPG so am currently midway through the SPG Platinum Challenge - as of today I'm only a lowly corporate preferred guest! I've got a stay at the ROS coming up next week for one night. My fiance wants to stay on the river so I chose ROS mainly for that reason. Having read this thread however and some other reviews I'm a tad dubious about service levels/standard of decor etc. What should I expect/do? Any advice gratefully received.
Hi, welcome

Not quite sure what sort of advice you're expecting, since:
1. you/your fiance want to stay by the river
2. you are midway through your Plat Challenge so you need stays at an Starwood hotel

These two things more or less tie you down to ROS. You could explain that to your SO. If you can give up the river location then there are of course several other Starwood options open to you.

You could also spend plenty of time outside the hotel; there is much to see and do especially if it's your first time to BKK. Then dubious decor may not matter so much :P.

Anyway, it's only for a night... you might even want to consider booking 3 rooms if the rate is good and getting 3 nights/stays for your Platinum Challenge
Old Aug 7, 2015, 12:05 pm

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by sebastiansw3
Boat landing literally next to the hotel for exploring all the sights upriver..charming hotel boat to take you to the BTS station landing..good hotel for a couple of days and a newcomer to BKK. hotel itself does occasionally show its age compared to the many other hotels in the city. Plus you will tack on another night to your challenge
Old Aug 7, 2015, 7:12 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
ROS itself is an acceptable hotel. It has good river views, especially from the club lounge. The local area is a bit bland but the docking area adjacent to the hotel is the staging point for the boats that do evening river cruises which is worth doing once. If you do the booking then check out BRG opportunities as they often heavily discount on third party sites.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.